N/Line Dash question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
I have a Gen II with the N/Line Dash shelf. The shelf seams to have a lot of flex. The left side seams more so then the right. Does the top screw on the stanchions connect to anything other then plastic body work?

Thanks

Martin

Hi, I have a different type of dash, bought off of the forum. I have not used and abused it often enough yet to notice any flex, however, it did come with a stiffener bar that you can glue or screw undrneath of the shelf to increase rigidity.

I have that also, my question is more flex at the screw on the stanchion. it allows the shelf to move fore and aft.

I have one too with the same problem.... it always flexed too much and the duo-loc button at the front point will not hold it at all times. So, first off, drill a hole in the front and put either a screw and nut or, a rubber nut-sert that takes a machine screw. Button this end down snugly. Alternative, put plastic tie-wraps as some have done, to tie it to the nose fairing..........

So here's what happens if it is allowed to flex....... at the upper screw that goes into the black dash panel mid-way up the vertical support....... the support boss behind it may have broken off (mine did). This makes it even worse flex and it must be repaired somehow. I put a temporary screw and nut there to hold it steady and added more tie straps as there's no supporting boss behind it....... the permanent repair unfortunately is to take the nose fairing off and see if you can either repair the boss with plastic epoxy or if the fairing part must be replaced...... I have not removed my nose fairing yet to see which part is needed...... but bottom line, you cannot get just the boss support, it is part of the larger fairing piece (either inner or outer, not sure which as I said).

I can't find a link for the N-Line shelf - guess that it isn't being made anymore. Would be appreciative if anyone has a link for any shelves being currently made for a Gen II FJR.

TIA!

I have one too with the same problem.... it always flexed too much and the duo-loc button at the front point will not hold it at all times. So, first off, drill a hole in the front and put either a screw and nut or, a rubber nut-sert that takes a machine screw. Button this end down snugly. Alternative, put plastic tie-wraps as some have done, to tie it to the nose fairing..........
So here's what happens if it is allowed to flex....... at the upper screw that goes into the black dash panel mid-way up the vertical support....... the support boss behind it may have broken off (mine did). This makes it even worse flex and it must be repaired somehow. I put a temporary screw and nut there to hold it steady and added more tie straps as there's no supporting boss behind it....... the permanent repair unfortunately is to take the nose fairing off and see if you can either repair the boss with plastic epoxy or if the fairing part must be replaced...... I have not removed my nose fairing yet to see which part is needed...... but bottom line, you cannot get just the boss support, it is part of the larger fairing piece (either inner or outer, not sure which as I said).
Thanks for the reply. That sort of confirms what I was thinking, because the other side is pretty solid.

I guess it's time to look up "taking the nose off"

Martin