Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your hint helped, obviously.  H is the Red Cliff Bridge!

As for G, that is a tough one as there is a lot of coastal territory in northeast Canada.  My SWAG is one of the only places I have been up in that area:  The Gaspe Peninsula.

G is maybe along the Cabot Trail?  West side if I had to narrow it down.
Correct! BigOgre got it as it is the Cabot Trail. We stayed at a little motel called the Cornerstone Motel right on the edge of the scenic portion of the trail, about 4 miles south of these views.  We got to ride back and forth several times and I hung out on the shore there as the sun went down. This is one of my favorite memories on the bike.

Pretty good idea for a thread--thanks Goodman.  Maybe others could post here too.
I'm going to go ahead and post three more tonight, but what do you guys think about someone else taking a turn? I am hesitant to turn it into the motorcycle tag game format with passing it around since so few people are active on that after the web hosting sites complicated things. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking if someone offers to take the one after this next one we would do that and I could still moderate it.

J:  New River Gorge Bridge

K:  Lake Powell somewhere.....

L:  Somewhere in Idaho.  Perhaps near Troy or Kendrick?

J:  New River Gorge Bridge

K:  Lake Powell somewhere.....

L:  Somewhere in Idaho.  Perhaps near Troy or Kendrick?
Correct on J and K! But not L.

For J, the New River Gorge Bridge is in Victor, West Virginia. I've been there twice but it is much more scenic to go down the side road and see the bridge from below. It would be cool to go there on Bridge Day when they open the bridge to pedestrians and have base jumping and other activities.

K is at the Wahweap Overlook on Lake Powell just off 89 in Page AZ. Page is a great motorcycle area if you are into scenery because you have the beautiful lake, the Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe Bend and Lower and Upper Antelope Slot Canyons. Redfish Hunter was the one who recommended this area to me and it is a fun area. Tam and I spent our 30th anniversary there on the bike and we took our grown kids there last year.

The only time I've been to Idaho on the bike was on the trip when L was taken, but this isn't from that state.

I'm going to go ahead and post three more tonight, but what do you guys think about someone else taking a turn? I am hesitant to turn it into the motorcycle tag game format with passing it around since so few people are active on that after the web hosting sites complicated things. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking if someone offers to take the one after this next one we would do that and I could still moderate it.
I was going to offer a suggestion earlier, but didn't feel it my place.  I like the tag game idea:

1.  Someone offers a "name that place"

2.  Whomever guesses correctly first gets to offer the next place.

3.  If that person would prefer not to offer the next place, then it reverts back to the previous winner to try again.

4.  If no one guesses within _____ days (1 week?), then the answer is revealed and we try again with a new place.

Regardless, I like this thread.  Gives me ideas for new places to put on the list!

My first thought but no truck runaway ramps that I remember.

Looks like hwy 14ALT (or 14) in Wyoming?
Correct! It is 14A in Wyoming. These pics are near the Medicine Wheel area which we didn't take time to see. That bighorn basin is 100 miles across. Pictures don't capture it. We loved riding this back in 2014 coming from the west.

We went back in 2018 and rode 14 instead of 14A which was not nearly as scenic. It also had really bad road construction and traffic on 14 which took away from the ride.

In 2014 my main memory besides the scenery was taking our liners out and in Lovell and then when we got up on the plateau it was 20 degrees colder and we almost froze putting our jacket liners back on.

Correct! It is 14A in Wyoming. These pics are near the Medicine Wheel area which we didn't take time to see. That bighorn basin is 100 miles across. Pictures don't capture it. We loved riding this back in 2014 coming from the west.

We went back in 2018 and rode 14 instead of 14A which was not nearly as scenic. It also had really bad road construction and traffic on 14 which took away from the ride.

In 2014 my main memory besides the scenery was taking our liners out and in Lovell and then when we got up on the plateau it was 20 degrees colder and we almost froze putting our jacket liners back on.
Shame on me.  I did both roads back in June.  Not sure how I missed this one.

I was going to offer a suggestion earlier, but didn't feel it my place.  I like the tag game idea:

1.  Someone offers a "name that place"

2.  Whomever guesses correctly first gets to offer the next place.

3.  If that person would prefer not to offer the next place, then it reverts back to the previous winner to try again.

4.  If no one guesses within _____ days (1 week?), then the answer is revealed and we try again with a new place.

Regardless, I like this thread.  Gives me ideas for new places to put on the list!
Ok, let's try this format suggested by HPPants.  I will do one more here and when someone guesses correctly they have the option of posting a pic for the next one.  The pic can be from any time in your past, but should be taken from a trip you took on a motorcycle. 

I encourage giving hints after a few days, but that is not required.

If no one has guessed it within a week of the most recent hint, the answer should be revealed and the original poster should try a new location. If they don't want to do it again or do not respond, I will post again.  

Feel free to guess if you think you know the location whether or not you want to get into the rules of posting.  That will help keep it moving.

Let's give people 2 days for getting a new pic loaded if you choose to. Again, please guess even if you don't want to post a pic. I know there are limited options for photo linking these days. If you don't want to post a new location picture, go ahead and say you pass and the previous contributor will post another one.  If no response after the 2 days, the previous contributor will post another one. If the previous poster does not post within 2 more days, as the OP on this thread I will post one. If I am incapacitated from wrecking my new MT-10 or I die of COVID, it is free reign and you can find a new way to proceed if you choose. :)

My goal here is to motivate people to ride to locations, so great roads and great scenery are a perfect choice for pics. If (after it is guessed) you want to tell us something about why we should go or why it was memorable that is a plus.

Okay - starting the new format with this one. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this road:

Guess freely, with the option to post if you win. Do not post until your guess is confirmed.

the New River Gorge Bridge is in Victor, West Virginia. I've been there twice but it is much more scenic to go down the side road and see the bridge from below.
Like?

37300623406_7dab8ea3ea_b.jpg

This thread is causing adjustments to the routes for our next big trip.

I am guessing that must be the Dragon.
Correct ScooterG! Highway 129 between Robbinsville NC and Chilhowee TN is the Tail of the Dragon. There will be one to five photographers there taking photos that you can buy online on most days. I think that sign is new this year but maybe I've missed it in previous visits. I know people are jaded from all the crazy bikers on the dragon, but if you go at the right time of day it is a blast to ride. It is still my favorite technical road to ride. I plan to take the MT-10 there next year.

Scooter, the next photo is yours should you choose to accept it. 

Personally, I liked just guessing and not having to do any work.  But here goes.....

b2h0XrAh.jpg

See those clouds?  Well, those ain't no clouds!  Here is a photo from the exact same location 11 minutes earlier.  That was one rapidly growing forest fire.

6Bw61p6h.jpg