Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay. OK, I had to crop and blur a bit (otherwise the name of the place is on the statue and in the plaque). Here is the next location.
9xJMkZn.png

I thought it looked familiar but after some internet searching I determined I had not been that far north by 170 miles. I will give others a few days to guess since I had to google it.

Hehe. I suspect it won’t take that long. Pretty hard to miss when you go by it.
If you say something should go quick on this thread it destines it to never get a response it seems. :)

It's the statue of Rosie O'Donnell and her children in Santa Cruz, CA.

Or maybe the Sea Lion Caves in Florence, Oregon.

My favorite roads and pictures to go with them are about the twisties. However this one spoke to me and is still one of my favorites even though it a "little" less twisty than some others. This may be a tough one. I'll give hints later if no one gets it...

Sorry, this was too hard for just a visual clue.
I’m looking for the highway number of the road in this photo which is only a few miles NW of an iconic town on the most iconic road in America though it’s mostly been turned into an interstate. We almost stayed the night in a well known motel with a blue sign in said town but we were making good time and drove all the way to Las Vegas. 
That will likely throw off people but if you pay attention that completely gives you the answer. 

My guess just based on hint and research for future adventure files in basecamp-New Mexico 104
1911, you got it! It is 104 just outside Tucumcari, NM headed to Las Vegas, NM. 

Tucumcari is on route 66, so Whoops, you were getting there.

You are up, Duane!

1911, you got it! It is 104 just outside Tucumcari, NM headed to Las Vegas, NM. 

Tucumcari is on route 66, so Whoops, you were getting there.

You are up, Duane!

The Blue Swallow Motel is on my list of places to stay. Let me pass for now. This game isn't as easy as it looks folks. Take us to another place Goodman4.

As requested...

This road is very much about the twisties plus some nice scenery. It can be used as a connector road between two very popular motorcycle roads which is how I stumbled upon it. Since then, I have learned that many know and love this road due it's great curves without the traffic of its better known neighbors.

The way a road like this follows the creek makes for a great ride. :)

If that's not enough, this tower and the view from there are 4 miles off this road on a packed gravel fire road. The tower has the same name as the road. I don't love gravel on the bike, but this was an easy ride and I was not with Tammy this time. It's worth taking this detour.

DARN! I've almost been there!

The first time I rode one of those famous roads I used this road to get there. It made me wonder what the big deal about the famous road was. The last time I rode this road was on the way home from a ride-in suspension service at a well known shop. I started up the road to the lookout, stopped for a little "relief" about two miles up, calculated daylight remaining (it was not during the long days of summer) and decided to save it for later to get out of the mountains before dark. I shall return. Maybe tomorrow.

Goodman, you sure have been places and took pictures!

Heck! I'm calling this one and I have a place in mind if I'm right.

Wayah Road. Wayah Bald. After running 28 and Wayah Rd (when the pavement is good) to get there Deals gap is anticlimactic. 

Exactly! Good job, 1911. These pics were when I took my nephew to some highlights of NC and this was his favorite road. 
I read while checking my facts that the roof of the Wayah Bald tower burnt in 2016 which is when these pics were taken. I promise we didn’t do it. It got rebuilt in 2018 so I should go see the new roof. 

You’re up Duane!