Need a lil Help route planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ4863

Reaction score
OK, so here's the deal. I'm heading down to deal's gap via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel from Long island NY. I know its a lot of slab going down but I'm ok with that. Run the dragon probably the next day, and then back up north. I was thinking about taking the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway the whole length back towards DC.

I need help planning a route that doesn't involve the interstate from the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway back as close as I can get to NYC.

The other thing is, what's the weather currently like down south in the mountains? Still Snow? or is it now snow free. I'm looking at leaving may 14th or so.

(any other suggestions will also be accepted :)

Shouldn't be any snow. You didn't state a time-frame that your working with, which would help determine routes to use. The BRP has a speed limit of 45mph in most places, so it can take a while to run north to the end. Also, there's some really fun roads to take off of the BRP ( 151 and 226a come to mind), that would add time to the trip, but worth it in my opinion.

Give an idea of your time-frame, and some here will give excellent advice for routes to take.

Enjoy!

oh boy time frame is tight :) I have pretty much 4 days, with a 5th as a contingent. one day down, one day for the dragon and cruising around the area. 2 days to come back on the BRP. I knew the speed limit was slow and I'm ok with that.

With a tight time frame the weather has to be considered. That may slow you up some. I just got back to south Jersey on Thursday from a 6 day run to Silver Springs, FL via the Bay Bridge Tunnel (picked up I-95 at Emporia, VA). It rained pretty good down through the Delmarva section on into Norfolk, VA. Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
800 miles of slab just to ride the Dragon?

I'd say wait till you have more time and really

enjoy roads down and back.

It would be like skipping a five-star gourmet

meal just to get to a mediocre dessert.

Surely you can find a closer destination to

ride over four days.

The best part about planning a trip is... plan can change. At a moments notice :) the slab down there doesn't bother me and we're taking our time on the way back. I want to avoid the interstate for as much as I can on the way back. And as always ymmv!

I was at the Dragon just last Sunday and it was plenty warm and leaves on trees only in higher elevations like Highlands and parkway upper areas will you still find no foliage. However its changing rapidly and so by time you make it here all will be good.

800 miles of slab just to ride the Dragon?I'd say wait till you have more time and really

enjoy roads down and back.

It would be like skipping a five-star gourmet

meal just to get to a mediocre dessert.

Surely you can find a closer destination to

ride over four days.
^^This^^.

Hi. I did the Blue Ridge trip last year. Once you get on the Parkway, it will be about 10 hours to the end near Waynesboro, Va. Speed limit is 45, but you can usually safely do a little better, if you are alert. But you also get slowed occasionally for cars and campers. Skyline Drive is another National park that continues from the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Front Royal, Va. The pace is even slower at 35 mph, but it is a beautiful ride, if you can stand it. If you catch it at the right time of day, you can cruise right through. I was on the beginning of the Parkway last night and it was just short of full bloom on the leaves, with lots of trees still in flower. Temps here have been in the 80's for days, so no snow and lots of good pavement.

I don't know much about the roads in between, but from a thread that ran a while ago, I found a site called Roadtrip USA that charted a route that followed pretty close to the Appalachian trail. They string together roads along the trail and provide a pretty comprehensive map on their website. It looks a lot more interesting than the highway as it swings through Maryland, Pennsylvania and into New York. Looks like it gets pretty close to NYC. If not the exact route, it might provide some inspiration for other roads nearby.

Can't offer more than that, as I usually try to avoid NYC if at all possible. I usually end up on Route 81 when I go north.

Have fun on your ride and stay safe.