Need advice - Big Bend area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?
Reaction score
Would appreciate any advice on lodging, dining, bars, and riding routes form anyone that knows the area. Thanks. :)

Would appreciate any advice on lodging, dining, bars, and riding routes form anyone that knows the area.

Thanks. :)
I can offer a little: Alpine TX is the 'big town' in the area and seems to have most services available. Many motorcyclists seem to like to stay at the Sunday House Motor Inn on the East end of town on US 67/90 -- there's also a steak-house near-by. There's other lodging, of course, in town (it's a 'college-town') but I don't know enough to recco any.

You can also stay at Big Bend National Park -- food and lodging available at the Chisos Basin site. Due to demand during different seasons (and, vacation periods), staying at BBNP (sometimes) requires pre-registering.

Riding 'The River Road', TX 170, is considered a must-do by many -- as well as, the Fort Davis Mts. area.

A visit to Presidio TX -- a border-crossing town -- may be interesting for those who've never had a Mexican-Border experience (in a 'Pancho Villa' sort'a way... ;) ).

Be prepared for "BIG COUNTRY"...!

You're welcome.

Thanks! Good info...will add to my notebook. We're trying to have a plan of action by mid January for booking our lodging.

It can be very hot by June, early May would be a better choice. Prime season for BB is March-May.

IIRC, Alpine is roughly 100 miles from the park. I think I saw 2 cars on the drive from Alpine to BB :) You can stay in Lajitas to be closer to the park. Really depends on whether you are just riding, or want to take advantage on any hiking or other on-the-ground type activities. Also consider spending a night at the Gage hotel in Marathon if you want a bit of upscale lodging.

The 16 mi. from McDonald Observatory to Ft. Davis and the first 40 mi. s. of Alpine are my favorite roads on planet earth. The River Road (Presidio to Study Butte) is the most talked about, but in my opinion it sux (dangerous). The road to Castolon is interestiing - takes you right down into Santa Elena Canyon. Chisos Basin is a must. I like Alpine as a base.

The 16 mi. from McDonald Observatory to Ft. Davis and the first 40 mi. s. of Alpine are my favorite roads on planet earth. The River Road (Presidio to Study Butte) is the most talked about, but in my opinion it sux (dangerous). The road to Castolon is interestiing - takes you right down into Santa Elena Canyon. Chisos Basin is a must. I like Alpine as a base.

I've heard about the river road to Presidio...we had planned on doing that run from the park to Presidio...why is it dangerous? Traffic? Road conditions? Looks like hwy 118 is the road leading south from Alpine..is that the one you are talking about? Hadn't heard anything about that road...thanks for the heads up! :)

It can be very hot by June, early May would be a better choice. Prime season for BB is March-May.

IIRC, Alpine is roughly 100 miles from the park. I think I saw 2 cars on the drive from Alpine to BB :) You can stay in Lajitas to be closer to the park. Really depends on whether you are just riding, or want to take advantage on any hiking or other on-the-ground type activities. Also consider spending a night at the Gage hotel in Marathon if you want a bit of upscale lodging.

We'll have 7 days to make this trip...we plan on leaving Louisiana and making route to the Hill Country (staying in Bandera)...trying to fit 2 days of riding there, and 2 days of riding at Big Bend....will be tight, but we should be able to make it. I dont think we will be doing any other activities other than riding, sleeping, eating, and catching a few cold ones.

I've heard about the river road to Presidio...we had planned on doing that run from the park to Presidio...why is it dangerous? Traffic? Road conditions? Looks like hwy 118 is the road leading south from Alpine..is that the one you are talking about? Hadn't heard anything about that road...thanks for the heads up! :)
The road surface is usually broken up - I'm not talking impassable - just be careful. Yes - 118 S. out of Alpine.

Approaching Terlingua:

5245396202_5da70deee3.jpg

It's also dangerous because of the steep (and I mean STEEP) drops after a corner. You can catch air if your speed is up and then WAM! a curve! Not unlike a roller-coaster so be advised!

We stayed in the Hollad Hotel in Alpine. Excellent accomidations and good restaurant on site. Breakfast was excellent. And don't miss the McDonald Observatory!

It's been a few years since I've been down there, but I'll throw out a couple of my favorites stops...

• Limpia Hotel or Veranda Bed and Breakfast in Fort Davis. Do an overnight stop there and check out the Davis Observatory. Some nights at observatory have better tours then others if you're interested in this.
  • Gage Hotel in Marathon has always been my favorite place to stop after a week in the Chisos backcountry.
  • Park service has cabins for rent in the Chisos Basin. I've not spent a night in them yet but they're on my list. They are a little rustic and right on the edge of the park facilities so a little secluded as well.
  • Even if you don't stay in cabins in Basin, be sure to drive up there and maybe hike a bit. It's great scenery.

Thanks for all the advice. We are looking at maybe upping out dates to early May to avoid the heat. The observatory is definitely going to be on our "must see" list.

Let me add a little more.

Alpine is a great place to stay. I have been there twice this year. I stay in the Hampton Inn...free breakfast and indoor hot tub which is great for relaxing after a long days ride. They will let you keep your bike under the covered driveway at night too.

The river road is well worth the ride. Lots of great stops for pictures...lots of curved roads and elevation changes. I did not find it dangerous at all...but then again you shouldn't be doing 100 miles an hour when running it anyway! If I remember correctly...the speed limit varies between 40 and 60 MPH. Common sense prevails. Take 118 out of Alpine to Terlingua. Check out the cemetery....its interesting. Then go west on 170 (river road). Its about 65 miles to Presidio so make sure you are gassed up before going. I heard el Patio Mexican Restauant in Presidio is very good....but have not tried it yet. Once in Presidio...take 67 north to Marfa and then 90 east back to Alpine. Its a great day ride.

In Big Bend National Park... as previously been stated...hit Santa Elena Canyon and the Chisos Basin. Speed limit is 45 mph in the park. You can get fuel in the park if needed.

I am planning on going back in April. Its cool in the mornings but is already getting warm in the day time. I'll try to add some pics later from my trip there this past November.

FYI - on Alt 90 west of Del Rio to Marathon is about 95 miles of NOTHING - no gas, food, water, just desert so be gassed up.

I'd stay in Alpine so you can go down to BBSP and then also go up and around the Ft. Davis scenic loop north and west of town. That loop has some great scenery and BTW either of the two roads that go NW or NE out of Ft. Davis all the way to I-10 are very scenic and great riding with virtually no traffic.

And the Davis Observatory has the highest traveled road in all of Texas.

River Road from Terlingua ( a dump) to Presidio (west end dump) is a must to ride because according to the book "Roadside Geography of Texas" there is more varied geologic formations and varying rock types along that road than anywhere else in Texas. Having ridden a good part of Texas - I concur.

If you go to the town just west of Alpine called Marfa you can see the hotel where part of the movie "Giant" was filmed.

Mid to late April or early May is a good time to go out there before it gets hot.

Just remember you are at altitude in the desert so count on some brisk mornings warming up nicely.

Watch out for critters like deer, javalina, rattlesnakes and tarantulas everywhere at all times.

I can't wait to go out there again this spring because it is spectacular scenery and nothingness.

Have a good trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey SC,

My father and I stayed in the Indian Lodge in Ft. Davis, which is an adobe lodge built by the CCC in the 30s (I think). Very cool views and the food in the cafe is pretty good. It was a great home base for us. We did the davis mountains loop the first day, then the two southern loops in subsequent days.

I would say St. Elena Canyon and Chisos basin are must sees once you are in the park. The river road, as previous posters have mentioned, is a nice up and down ride, just watch for the loose gravel. Terlinqua is worth a stop... one local explained to me, "Terlinqua is where people go to get away from the rest of the world".

Balmorhea state park is a nice option to cool off, it has the largest spring fed pool in the world. It is not too far away from Ft. Davis.

Have fun,

Davy

Edit: PM me if you want company in the hill country. I am in Austin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great info. Our trip planner is filling up nicely. Should have it narrowed down in the next couple of weeks.

ATXRIDER - I'll be in the hill country in April for our annual Oilmans Invitational Hill Country Ride. Hill Country Ride

Can't wait to go...havent been in hill country since September.

Here are some pics to get you fired up:

Between Sanderson and Marathon, I was running with an older Concours:

2538787118_410e3343ee.jpg

East side of BBNP, heading back to the Chisos Mountain Lodge, where I was staying:

2538787568_7a3b915efd.jpg

Running back after dinner at the Starlight in Terlingua:

2537969505_9e216b799a.jpg

And right before I headed back to the casa; with Mules Ears in the distance:

2538788296_f86354fc84.jpg

I was out there for Memorial Day weekend, and would definitely recommend going earlier than that; it was right around 100 degrees in the afternoon, even then. I'm in Austin, so if you are looking for some company in the Hill Country, give me a shout! Good luck!

The roads inside the park are speed controlled so plan for that as well as gas fill ups. We stayed in Alpine (Antelope Lodge)the first and third nights with Terlingua (Chisos Mining Co Motel) in there for the second night.

Ride Report

The roads inside the park are speed controlled so plan for that as well as gas fill ups. We stayed in Alpine (Antelope Lodge)the first and third nights with Terlingua (Chisos Mining Co Motel) in there for the second night.

Ride Report

Thanks for the link to your ride report....very nice! Got me fired up to head west! ;)