Need help with Alarm System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluestreek

Bluestreek
Reaction score
Awhile back I replaced the battery on my bike. Three weeks later the battery was dead. Would not even turn on dash lights or clock.

After charging the battery I found that it would not hold a charge.

Replaced battery with new one. Still battery will not hold charge.

Alarm went bad a while back and as far as I can tell does not work any more.

I was thinking this could be what was draining my battery.

If I Hooked everything up right and I am reading my meter right it is pulling around 200 ma"s when turned off.

My question is. Would that drain a battery in three weeks?

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I can tell you that I had crossed the hook up wires to my V1 and it would draw the battery dead well within 3 weeks. My money is on the alarm and not your battery. Easy test, unhook the alarm for 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a hunch, Steve.

200 mA or .2 Amps of continuous draw.

That seems high to me, just a guess, no facts to speak from.

I can measure KrZy8 this weekend if Ionbeam or FredW or another peep does not respond with facts not conjecture.

How many amp hours is the battery?

Is it as simple as dividing battery amp hour rating by .2 to get time duration before dead?

Pull the fuse to the alarm while monitoring current draw.

If it goes down, happiness.

I wonder what parasitic current draws exist on a Gen 1...

Guess I'm pretty much useless after all!
smile.png

Edit - What the hell? 3 weeks no ride? Too cold? Seat too high to swing a leg over? Wifeee got the FJR blocked by the SUV in the back of the garage? Now I'm worried about yah!
flirt.gif

This is easy enough to test. Hook your meter up to the battery, check the draw, and while it's connected pull the fuse or disconnect the power to the alarm. If you see the draw drop down then that's the culprit. I had a similar problem on my Valkyrie. The battery would die in three days. It was because the alarm went on the fritz and was drawing about 10X the power it should have been.

If it's not the alarm then start pulling fuses on other things or disconnecting other accessories (if they are not fused) until the draw drops down.

200 mA is far too high for quiescent current draw.

14 AH battery, .2 amps = 14/.2 = 70 hours, or 3 days in round figures. Leave it for 3 weeks, the deep discharge will knacker the battery.

On my '10 with manufacturer's immobiliser (as used in the UK and a few other markets) I measure something like 2.5 mA.

Mine will start after 4 weeks of no use, a rare occurrence, but sometimes consecutive family hols and icy roads combine for an extended withdrawal of my favourite pastime. (It used to be my second-favourite pastime, but times have changed
no2.gif
.)

Yep, I think 200 ma will bring you down to the point of a no-start rather too soon....... if your alarm has a back-up battery (a la Scorpio) perhaps check it's not the issue.

I can't offer much technical assistance here but when I went away on vacation for a couple of weeks in August (which, combined with some other factors meant 3 weeks without a start-up) the battery on my brand new '13 got drained (no dash lights or anything), in fact so much so that my so-called “smart” charger thought it was a 6-volt and wouldn’t charge it. At the time I thought “Hmm, that’s odd; must be the factory immobilizer and that perpetually blinking LED light draining it.” It was only later that I realized that that didn’t make any sense given what should be a very minimal draw from that immobilizer. I never did pursue a proper answer, but I’m much more diligent about keeping it on the battery tender now. If it happens again I’ll have to investigate further.

Oh, and dcarver: Yes, some of us have been riding our snowblowers instead of our bikes for the last month.
weirdsmiley.gif

What's a snowblower?
I'm not going to dignify that with a response!
While the sun baked skin cancer set is putting on their 28 hp tractors, the Frost Backs need to get real work done so they can get back to their hockey games. This means the 400 hp, big blocks come out to get 'er done, this is how you have fun in the snow...

V8SnowBlower6.jpg

012409_snow_1.jpg

PC070038.JPG