Need help with handlebar ends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I am trying to change the grips on my 03 and on the right side the bolt that goes into the end of the handlebar will loosen and start to come out then it stops. It seems the bolt should just thread right out, is that right? I'm a little afraid to twist real hard because I don't want to break it off. Anyboody know how to get this bolt out? My service manual doesn't have details on how the handlebar ends work. Once I get the bolt out how do I remove the core that's in the handlebar? Any help would be appreciated. (I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to these questions)

Thanks,

Jeffery

Assuming the '03 is the same as my '06, you are correct - that bolt should just come all the way out. The insert into which it is bolted is another story. If you are not the original owner of the bike, I wonder if there could be Loctite in there making it harder to get out as it gets caught in some particular spot. Just a thought. Not sure what else would cause it to get harder to turn on the way out.

Murhpy says: If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. :)

Oh - on the inner insert: Throttlemeisters come with a custom tool for this. It's just a longer bolt to fit the threads, a tube that is the same diameter as the bar, and a flat washer to go on top of the tube. As you screw in the bolt, it pulls the grommet out. If you're handy, you could probably fabricate something to do it. If not, maybe you could find someone locally who has the tool from a throttlemeisters kit?

And one more thing: When I looked at aftermarket bar-ends, they all seemed to bolt into that insert, so I wouldn't be too quick to remove them. They are harder to get back in. I know because I just put them back in after removing the throttlemeisters.

Good luck.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. It all makes sense, I guess I'm just afraid of what happens if I break it off.

Jeffery

Assuming the '03 is the same as my '06, you are correct - that bolt should just come all the way out. The insert into which it is bolted is another story. If you are not the original owner of the bike, I wonder if there could be Loctite in there making it harder to get out as it gets caught in some particular spot. Just a thought. Not sure what else would cause it to get harder to turn on the way out.
Murhpy says: If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. :)

Oh - on the inner insert: Throttlemeisters come with a custom tool for this. It's just a longer bolt to fit the threads, a tube that is the same diameter as the bar, and a flat washer to go on top of the tube. As you screw in the bolt, it pulls the grommet out. If you're handy, you could probably fabricate something to do it. If not, maybe you could find someone locally who has the tool from a throttlemeisters kit?

And one more thing: When I looked at aftermarket bar-ends, they all seemed to bolt into that insert, so I wouldn't be too quick to remove them. They are harder to get back in. I know because I just put them back in after removing the throttlemeisters.

Good luck.

Dan