Need your assistance - SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerk9

Reaction score
Howdy,

Horatio6 and myself are preparing to conduct our first SS1000 on Thursday 01 May. We are going from Cedar Park (Austin), Texas to Tampa, Florida and taking the I-10 Corridor. We are departing around 0730.

If you have any information relative to the route (construction, congestion times/locations, LEO ambush spots, etc...) please pass it along.

All info pertinent to this ride will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Rex

Howdy,
Horatio6 and myself are preparing to conduct our first SS1000 on Thursday 01 May. We are going from Cedar Park (Austin), Texas to Tampa, Florida and taking the I-10 Corridor. We are departing around 0730.

If you have any information relative to the route (construction, congestion times/locations, LEO ambush spots, etc...) please pass it along.

Thanks.

Rex
Hi Rex...no info, but good luck on your trip.

Rex,

I'm assuming you will be traversing I-10 to I-75, then south to Tampa.

There is construction as you approach Tallahassee. I rode the slab to Pensicola two weeks ago and can't recall any major work being done between Tally and there. I know of no work from Tally, east to I-75.

As you approach Madison on I-10 watch your speed. Madison is about 50 miles east of Tally. County LEOs like hiding in the wooded median.

I haven't run the I-75 to the Fla. Turnpike in several months but I don't know of any major road work on that strip. Depending on the time, traffic will slow around Gainesville (Gator Nation) the usual rush hour type.

South of the Turnpike is unknown to me at this time. I haven't made that run in several years.

PM me and I'll give you my cell# in case you need help in the Tally area. :unsure:

Good luck to ya both and keep us posted. :clapping:

I'm here in pensacola, rangerk9. my place is 6 miles north of I-10 @ exit 10B.

Pm me if you'd like my cell number for any road side assistance. I own a 5x8 ft trailer and plenty of tie-downs if needed.

Two weeks ago i traveled to New Orleans, there isn't any road construction, so smooth riding.

cadman

Howdy,

Thanks.

Rex
Figures I'll be out of town when you get here.

From the turnpike to 275, you have construction right at the 275 interchange. Normally not a problem, unless grandpa decides he should go 30 while changing lanes.

If you're taking 275 in, usual rush hour lockups will happen. construction downtown is only screwing up NB traffic currently.

Keep in mind...most of the snowbirds depart Florida during the last week of April or the first week of May. As you'll be going against traffic, it shouldn't be too bad, but, lots of traffic means higher percentage of accidents. Accidents, even when in the opposite direction, could cause traffic problems due to rubbernecking.

Best of luck on your ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally... I would do a different route. It seems that I always hear about the crap-ass road conditions on I-10 between Texas and Florida. Too, you would be fighting truckers the entire way.

Since you live in the second largest state in the country; perhaps you should consider an all-Texas SS1000! Then you would get that special SS1000 pin that is specific to Texas!

For example... you could leave Austin, head south to Brownsville for a turn-around gas receipt, back up HWY 77 to Kingsville (another receipt), then turn north and west on HWY 141, eventually arriving at Carrizo Springs (another turn-around receipt here), From there, straight back to Austin, which oughta put you in the neighborhood of 1050 miles.

Just sayin'..... B)

Personally... I would do a different route. It seems that I always hear about the crap-ass road conditions on I-10 between Texas and Florida. Too, you would be fighting truckers the entire way.

Since you live in the second largest state in the country; perhaps you should consider an all-Texas SS1000! Then you would get that special SS1000 pin that is specific to Texas!

For example... you could leave Austin, head south to Brownsville for a turn-around gas receipt, back up HWY 77 to Kingsville (another receipt), then turn north and west on HWY 141, eventually arriving at Carrizo Springs (another turn-around receipt here), From there, straight back to Austin, which oughta put you in the neighborhood of 1050 miles.

Just sayin'..... B)
And with the speed limit in some parts of Texas being 80 mph, you could do this all before lunch :D

'Cept he's going to Tampa for a specific reason, and he's doing the SS1000 since he had to go anyway. . . .

I-10's clean except right through Tallahassee, and 75's good, too, except probably busier.

Lousiana can have some rough pavement. Apparently they have a law that a bridge and the road approaching it cannot be within 2 inches of the same level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!! I will let you know how it went afterwords.

Rex

Howdy,

Thanks.

Rex
Marc,

Thanks man! I will let you know how it went.

Rex

Dang Rex,

I got excited when I saw the topic...then I read that you are heading in the other direction.

I'm in El Paso. I'm real interested in how things go for you and Horatio6. I'm planning a

SS1000/24 and possibly a joint BB1500/36 next Wed/Thu. I'm heading west from El Paso

and making a big loop through Tucson, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo and back

home.

Best of weather, roads, and time to you. Let us know how it went.

I gotta check out the All-TX ride pin...that's something I would want.

Just heard from Rex. At 3pm, they're at the 500 mile mark in Hammond, LA (left around 0730). He's still got some rough cajun pavement ahead, but at least he's already through the dragnet in Baton Rouge.

Some idiot was cookin' crack on his engine block a few days ago, leaked ammonia on the road, caught his car on fire and shut down I-10 for hours while the hazmat crew cleaned it up. :angry: Needless to say, the LEOs were not amused and have been absolutely everywhere on the BR stretch of I-10. They've been pulling over lots of folks, so I was glad to hear they made it through fine.

I live in Jax FL and my daughter lives in Gulfport MS. I run I-10 all the time and feel this is the worse road for conditions, boredom, and overall pain in the ass traveling you can do.