New 05 for me!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrman

Reaction score
I just traded in my 03 for an 05 ABS with half the miles. Yeah! :yahoo: Anyway, can anyone that went from a non-ABS to ABS clue me in on the braking characteristics? Never had an ABS bike before, and never a linked brake bike either. Can't wait until the weather clears up.

Your 05 is not linked, so that is one less thing to think about. The back brake seems to go into anti lock mode much sooner than the front. You will feel a racheting, even at the pedal. The only time I have actuated the front anti lock, I was too busy watching the cage in front of me to remember the characteristics. But I don't think I would have avoided an accident with out it. Count me in as a believer. jr

Oh, I thought the brakes were linked. That's fine with me, I didn't really want linked. I guess it makes sense that the back brake would ABS sooner, since it has less weight on it. I imagine that with a passenger it would make that back brake more effective. Thanks for the feedback.

I have the 05 with ABS and have grown to like the ABS...a lot. I'm probably getting a bit sloppy with the back brake 'cause I know the ABS will take over if I'm too heavy footed. Play with it on a clean side street, do some progressively harder nice straight stops until you get a feel for how the ABS acts and reacts. Easy to get the back ABS to kick in but you will have to work harder to get the front. The system has probably saved me a few times.

I have the 05 with ABS and have grown to like the ABS...a lot. I'm probably getting a bit sloppy with the back brake 'cause I know the ABS will take over if I'm too heavy footed. Play with it on a clean side street, do some progressively harder nice straight stops until you get a feel for how the ABS acts and reacts. Easy to get the back ABS to kick in but you will have to work harder to get the front. The system has probably saved me a few times.
Well I have an 05 and an 07 and love them both. The brakes work GREAT. I had an FJ 1200 prior to this and there is no comparison to the stopping power that the FJR with abs has. It has saved my _ _ _ alot of times out here in Portland Oregon. Even works very well in the wet weather. BEN

The ABS is great. The first few times the rear brake ABS engages it will probably scare you a little because it feels weird. Once your used to it, I don't even notice it. Now you just need to change your name from 03 to 05fjrman

Yeah I need to get ahold of Matt to find out if I can change my name. I have braided stainless lines on my 03, so I'm used to pretty good feel and power. Man I looked up prices on the ABS braided lines. Holy Shit! $300 for brake lines? Damn.

I wonder if you have one bike with ABS and other street bikes that don't, are you more likely to develop sloppy braking on the other bikes because of reliance on ABS?

I think that for 95% of your braking you'll not even notice the ABS. If you're on them hard on wet/slippery roads you will feel the rear kick in. If you are unfortunate enough to be facing a panic stop, I think you'll be glad you have them. You can grab all the brake you want and be confident that you'll stop in shortest distance possible. I ignore the comments from riders who say that they can stop shorter with out ABS. I'm not one of them.

Congrats on your upgrade.

Russ

Thanks Russ. Now I have to pick out new tires for it. Dunlop D220's or Metzeler Z6? Any input? I ride almost always below 70mph, and about 85% 1-up. This bike has a Yamaha trunk, so I'm going to try with the trunk and without the side bags.

I wonder if you have one bike with ABS and other street bikes that don't, are you more likely to develop sloppy braking on the other bikes because of reliance on ABS?
Not as far as I am concerned. I currently have two other non-ABS bikes and if anything, I am more attentive to modulating the braking on the FJR-A because I have to do it on the others and have done it on previous bikes. Nevertheless, I have had the ABS kick in a few times on the FJR and I was really glad it did. I am so convinced that ABS is worthwhile that I wouldn't buy any bike without it if it was offered as an option. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a bike I liked just because it didn't have ABS, but if there is a choice of with or without, I'm gonna go for the ABS.

Just picked the new girl up today! I can't say that the ride is a whole lot different than the 03, but I didn't get a chance to set it up for me yet. Seems like the suspension might be a little better. Can't wait to put some miles on it. Now I have to refarkle tomorrow, as I took most of the stuff off my 03, and will put on this one.