New 2015 FJR1300ES - First impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I found a deal I could not pass up. My '07 has 97K on finished a 6500 mile trip to SW-FOG on it. No problems whatsoever. It was just a deal I had to take advantage of. $13,395 out the door. I still have to pay tax, title, and registration, though. I was just at my local dealer today and they have the same bike with a sticker price of $17,725. I don't know how they stay in business. Anyway, on to my impressions:

I first noticed how smooth everything is. The transmission shifts unbelievably smooth. I have only used a few of the adjustments for the suspension, so there is certainly more to come on that. I switched between touring and sport mode. Very noticeable difference. The sport mode gives the expected (what I am used to) throttle response. The touring mode smooths the throttle response. Don't really see me using that much. You never know when you will need that immediate throttle. I know I have many times in the past.

There is huge difference in air flow. I have now ridden twice in >95 degree temps. As long as I am moving I am comfortable. There is zero head buffeting with the windshield down. I didn't leave it up for very long to determine the high position, but did notice the absence of back pressure. The front cowl incorporates a hood scoop to eliminate the negative pressure.

I love the digital display and the ease of navigating menus.

I LOVE the cruise control!

The bike came with BT023 GT tires. They feel good so far, but they are brand new.

There are only 2 negatives:

Even with gear on, riding in 90+ temps, I feel a LOT of heat on my left foot.

The second is the turn in is not very quick. I still need to play with the suspension settings, though, so I am sure that can be resolved.

Overall rating...AWESOME!!

Let the farkling begin. don't know how much I will take from the '07. Remains to be seen if I can use the trailer hitch. I ordered a 55 L Givi Maxia iii with the light kit and liner and a mounting rack.

Looking forward to many more happy, trouble free miles with the new ride.

Congratulations! I've got over 30k on my 2014 ES and it's been great. It keeps getting better. You'll take care of that turn in with the suspension adjustments. the rear spring adjustment can make a good difference on the handling. When I want to ride like a sport bike, I run without bags but leave the spring at one up with bags and it turns in great. My original BT023's were quite good. Ran through a bunch of Diablo Corsa front sport bike tires that my friend gave me, hard to beat free tires. Put on a set of Pilot Road 2's and man, they feel great.

Have fun,

It's reports like these that gets me closer and closer to a Gen III. I know this Fall I'll be giving them a serious look but who knows?

Congrats on the find and new ride. Best of luck with it.

The ES completely transforms the bike, I continue to be amazed at how awesome they are.

Congrats & do some PR3's or PR4's at your first chance, they're a great improvement over the 'stones.

PR2's or 4's for me. Haven't gotten the same life out of PR3's for some reason. With 97k on the '07 I have some experience with tires.

Congratulations on the Gen 3!

I only got about 4,500 miles on the 023's before the cupping on the front started and the rear was nearly done.

The PR4's have been a nice addition. Much better than the 3's.

Farkle away Sir!

I run tour mode unless I'm gonna get my ya-ya's on. It makes a dramatic difference in tire life, plus it makes it much nicer for the passenger if your not the smoothest dog on the planet (and I aren't!)

Congrats on the new bike.

Was that you last Saturday running south on Smoke Hole Road about 1:00 - 1:30pm?

PR2's or 4's for me. Haven't gotten the same life out of PR3's for some reason. With 97k on the '07 I have some experience with tires.
Lightweight! lol. ;) equates to a mere 12,125mi/yr.

Nahhskii's, JK. Enjoy it and since you're skipping EOM, guess I'll see you on that beauty in the spring of '16 (SEO).

Lightweight! lol.
wink.png
equates to a mere 12,125mi/yr.

Nahhskii's, JK. Enjoy it and since you're skipping EOM, guess I'll see you on that beauty in the spring of '16 (SEO).
I bought the '07 in '09, so actually it is an average of 16,167 miles/yr!

I run tour mode unless I'm gonna get my ya-ya's on. It makes a dramatic difference in tire life, plus it makes it much nicer for the passenger if your not the smoothest dog on the planet (and I aren't!)
Well, with the snatchy throttle on the '07 even in sport mode it the '15 seems smooth!

But what does Spanky thunk of the new ride?
She likes the looks of it, but has not been on it yet.

Congrats on the new bike.Was that you last Saturday running south on Smoke Hole Road about 1:00 - 1:30pm?
Yes, that was me! I realized that I really couldn't ride Smoke hole like I wanted to, because at the start of it there was all of 13 miles on the new tires and the road was wet! 33 was fun though!