New 2015 FJR1300ES - First impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new scoot! I sure like that color over the previous years disgusting red color. ;)

I've been avoiding dealerships because I'm in the same boat as you with 97k on my 07 right now, but I can't even consider replacing it until I get over 100k on it. And even though the wife has suggested that I can get a new bike, the 07 is still running great and I'm too frugal to replace it if it still works. :) I will achieve the 100k mark next month, so I really need to stay away from the Yamaha shop! LOL

Congrats on the new scoot! I sure like that color over the previous years disgusting red color.
wink.png

I've been avoiding dealerships because I'm in the same boat as you with 97k on my 07 right now, but I can't even consider replacing it until I get over 100k on it. And even though the wife has suggested that I can get a new bike, the 07 is still running great and I'm too frugal to replace it if it still works.
smile.png
I will achieve the 100k mark next month, so I really need to stay away from the Yamaha shop! LOL
So, next month when you hit 100k miles you can start looking!
bike.gif

Congrats on the new scoot! I sure like that color over the previous years disgusting red color.
wink.png

I've been avoiding dealerships because I'm in the same boat as you with 97k on my 07 right now, but I can't even consider replacing it until I get over 100k on it. And even though the wife has suggested that I can get a new bike, the 07 is still running great and I'm too frugal to replace it if it still works.
smile.png
I will achieve the 100k mark next month, so I really need to stay away from the Yamaha shop! LOL
So, next month when you hit 100k miles you can start looking!
bike.gif
I am with Allen on this one!!

If my wife said I could get a new one at 100K, I would be scheduling a 42K road trip!!. In all seriousness, I applaud your frugality on keeping a still great machine. It makes sense to keep it rolling along.

One of the other good changes that I noticed is the mirrors. They are about 9/16ths" wider than the Gen ll. While that doesn't seem like much, I can only see my forearm slightly now, so that makes the mirrors much more effective. I rode to work this morning in touring mode. Steve is right about it goin easy on the back tire! Silky smooth.

One of the other good changes that I noticed is the mirrors. They are about 9/16ths" wider than the Gen ll. While that doesn't seem like much, I can only see my forearm slightly now, so that makes the mirrors much more effective. I rode to work this morning in touring mode. Steve is right about it goin easy on the back tire! Silky smooth.
I got over 8000 miles out of the stock back tire running in tour mode, and a good bunch of those miles were two up with Line. Most guys running in Sport mode see it gone around 3000 miles.

I've currently got about 16,000 miles on my PR4's. They need to be changed soon. But, about half of those miles were once again 2 up with Line, and another good chunk were getting my yaya's on,.

Congratulations on your new bike. It would have been difficult for me to give up the '07 just because of the color. I LOVE the Black Cherry paint on the '07.

I think you will find that experimenting with the front tire pressure may help with the turn in issues. You probably already knew that anyway but it was worth saying.

I HATE the Bridgestone BT023s that came on my '15 ES. I just returned from a short trip to Arkansas and my back tire looks like I attacked it with an 8 inch side grinder. The line between the hard center compound and the soft side compound is sharp and obvious. It wiggled and slipped around every time we got on chip seal. It was difficult just to maintain a straight line it moved so much. Once cranked way over it would stick and go around the corner but it took some nerve to lean a bike that was already slipping.

Point is, new tires may transform the entire handling experience for you. The '15 ES is a great bike, a really great bike. I love mine. I love the improvements in wind management, heat management, and the cruise control. I love the huge amount of information in the dash. I love that I can access the dash menu from the left bar switches instead of leaning forward to push those two tiny little buttons on the screen.

I hope this one takes you well past the 100K mark. Good luck and congratulations again.

Congratulations on your new bike. It would have been difficult for me to give up the '07 just because of the color. I LOVE the Black Cherry paint on the '07.
I think you will find that experimenting with the front tire pressure may help with the turn in issues. You probably already knew that anyway but it was worth saying.

I HATE the Bridgestone BT023s that came on my '15 ES. I just returned from a short trip to Arkansas and my back tire looks like I attacked it with an 8 inch side grinder. The line between the hard center compound and the soft side compound is sharp and obvious. It wiggled and slipped around every time we got on chip seal. It was difficult just to maintain a straight line it moved so much. Once cranked way over it would stick and go around the corner but it took some nerve to lean a bike that was already slipping.

Point is, new tires may transform the entire handling experience for you. The '15 ES is a great bike, a really great bike. I love mine. I love the improvements in wind management, heat management, and the cruise control. I love the huge amount of information in the dash. I love that I can access the dash menu from the left bar switches instead of leaning forward to push those two tiny little buttons on the screen.

I hope this one takes you well past the 100K mark. Good luck and congratulations again.
Well, so far the stones feel ok, but, then again, I only have 300 miles on them! I have PR4's on the '07. We rode 16 all the way across Arkansas coming back from SW-FOG. They were sliding on sections of that road due to sand left from chip sealing. One two wheel slide was quite unnerving! I will be going to Michilins once the stones are toast. I really haven't had the time to do much experimenting with the suspension settings. My current commute setting is soft 0 and preload set for just rider. In tour mode it is a very pleasant ride to work. No twisties, so turn in doesn't matter. I read through the manual more last night and discovered more features that I like. There are so many ways to personalize this bike.

I didn't buy it because I was concerned about the miles on the '07. I just couldn't pass up the deal. Looking forward to many happy miles!

Congrats Intech..... so glad your enjoying the sweet new upgrades on the Gen3......

My Stones lasted less then 25 miles on my new bike until they were dumped..... had to pull the wheels for paint anyways, so I dropped the PR4's on right away.... I will say even the PR4's have given me some pause, a couple left turners over paint lines and got me a good slide and wobble.... I can't say that I'm super impressed with them over my life long trust I had with the PR2s.....

I might have to hunt down maybe a couple sets to have in the barn before they are gone forever....

Enjoy the new machine.....

Congrats Intech..... so glad your enjoying the sweet new upgrades on the Gen3......
My Stones lasted less then 25 miles on my new bike until they were dumped..... had to pull the wheels for paint anyways, so I dropped the PR4's on right away.... I will say even the PR4's have given me some pause, a couple left turners over paint lines and got me a good slide and wobble.... I can't say that I'm super impressed with them over my life long trust I had with the PR2s.....

I might have to hunt down maybe a couple sets to have in the barn before they are gone forever....

Enjoy the new machine.....
Give the 4's a chance. I think you will like them. Especially if you have to ride on wet roads. It is either 2's or 4's for me.

25 miles, though! That didn't take long. What color did you paint the wheels?

I first noticed how smooth everything is. The transmission shifts unbelievably smooth. I have only used a few of the adjustments for the suspension, so there is certainly more to come on that. I switched between touring and sport mode. Very noticeable difference. The sport mode gives the expected (what I am used to) throttle response. The touring mode smooths the throttle response. Don't really see me using that much. You never know when you will need that immediate throttle. I know I have many times in the past.
First off, Touring mode will still give you full throttle on demand, just that you have to twist the grip (quite a bit) further to get it. It's like having a very slow acting cam on the throttle tube, but done with the magic of electrons. I find I can ride a lot smoother with it in T mode and, like Bungie, only flip over to S when it's time for wicking it up.

The bike came with BT023 GT tires. They feel good so far, but they are brand new.
I don't think they are GTs. Most of the new bikes come with BT023F and BT023R, which are an OEM spec tire, not available in the after-market. FWIW, I have about 6500 miles on mine and I am still hopefully they will pass state safety inspection this month.

There are only 2 negatives:Even with gear on, riding in 90+ temps, I feel a LOT of heat on my left foot.
Have not noticed that in the least, but I am coming from a 1st gen where heat was an expected attribute.
wink.png

The second is the turn in is not very quick. I still need to play with the suspension settings, though, so I am sure that can be resolved.
Before you go crazy with the suspension settings, try the tires at 40F 42R. I felt like the front was pushing a bit at the lower front pressure specified in the owners manual.

Overall rating...AWESOME!!
Looking forward to many more happy, trouble free miles with the new ride.
Agree with the rating! Once again, congrats on a smoking good deal.