New buzz

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRuss

Reaction score
Flame away if you must but I gotta new buzz....10575 miles on my '09 AE, changed from the original Roadtechs to PR2s; lubed the pumpkin and drive shaft (wasn't as dry as my '04 was first time I looked at it) and unhooked the big throttle spring. I also changed the suspension settings a little but should have been better, not worse. I put 80,000 on the '04 so I am familiar with the 2500 rpm buzz. And it was there on the '09 before I did this work. But now it is there pretty much from clutch engagement to 4,000 (smooths out beyond that pretty much.) I don't think it is the tires, ran mostly PRs and PR2s on the '04 and the only time I had a tire issue was when I tried a pair of Storms and the front developed a scallop.

So any thoughts? I didn't torque down the rear drive until after the wheel was bolted up so that shouldn't be an issue. I've spun the rear wheel on the center stand and there are no noises or noticeable vibes.

Flame away if you must but I gotta new buzz....10575 miles on my '09 AE, changed from the original Roadtechs to PR2s; lubed the pumpkin and drive shaft (wasn't as dry as my '04 was first time I looked at it) and unhooked the big throttle spring. I also changed the suspension settings a little but should have been better, not worse. I put 80,000 on the '04 so I am familiar with the 2500 rpm buzz. And it was there on the '09 before I did this work. But now it is there pretty much from clutch engagement to 4,000 (smooths out beyond that pretty much.) I don't think it is the tires, ran mostly PRs and PR2s on the '04 and the only time I had a tire issue was when I tried a pair of Storms and the front developed a scallop.

So any thoughts? I didn't torque down the rear drive until after the wheel was bolted up so that shouldn't be an issue. I've spun the rear wheel on the center stand and there are no noises or noticeable vibes.
I'd go ahead and do, or have done, a throttle body sync. I'd also loosen and re-torque your motor mount bolts. Give that a shot and go from there.

Do you still have the buzz if you pull in the clutch while coasting; the PR2's come with a light buzz (brand new) via the tread pattern (front), which can get a little worse after time (miles). The buzz will/might attenuate while leaning (especially on a tire with some experience).

... pull in the clutch while coasting ...
Tricky with an AE
unsure.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go ahead and do, or have done, a throttle body sync. I'd also loosen and re-torque your motor mount bolts. Give that a shot and go from there.
I doubt TBS is the answer, I was 'under the hood' to disconect the throttle spring and didn't touch the TPS since there was not much buzz and was checked at 4000 miles. I'll try MM bolts if it doesn't improve but not sure why that would suddenly occur after a tire change and shaft lube.

Do you have sliders installed? You may just need to re torque your motor mount bolts.

How old are your plugs? My bike was getting egos high frequency vibe that went away with a plug change...Maybe your tires are out of balance??

Sorry, missed the AE, can an AE find neutral will rolling; I don't know. Still, the rest of my post tells of the buzz of PR2's; that was what I was trying to convey.

Sorry, missed the AE, can an AE find neutral will rolling; I don't know. Still, the rest of my post tells of the buzz of PR2's; that was what I was trying to convey.
No neutral while rolling, must be at a complete (and I mean complete!) stop to engage neutral. But after a 1400 mile weekend, I'm fairly convinced it is the new PR2s. I never noticed it on the '04 but everything else seems fine (I did install 'sliders' but that was some time ago. The BUZZ started after the PR2's were installed along with a shaft lube. I do intend to do a TBS soon though 'cause some of it could be from that. Thanks for all the suggestions though and I will look inot some of them. Plugs should not be a problem at 10k but I think I'll change them out when I do the TBS. Has anyone removed the smog stuff (air injection) from a GenIII? (I'll do an archive search too.)

Some questions answer themselves... TBS isn't the problem @4000 rpm.

The only thing you have done to change anything to do with reciprocating mass is the tires/shaft lube.

Some questions answer themselves... TBS isn't the problem @4000 rpm.

The only thing you have done to change anything to do with reciprocating mass is the tires/shaft lube.
Correcto mundo. And the buzz goes away over 4k, pretty much, but I'm a TBS nut and I'm still gonna do it. Not sure I'll change the plugs at 12k but will take a close look at them.

Try this: TR,D,C.UATBS

PS - if the final drive or shaft, or tires, or wheel bearings... were a problem it would be entirely road speed related and not engine speed. ;)

Latest posts