New forum member - need ticker info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericspin

Reaction score
Hi I am a new member - been lurking for awhile - and I have been researching this whole ticking motor deal. Yes, I have a 2003. What does the fix typically cost. Unfortunately my bike is out of warranty. I bought it used and it is immaculate, but it does like to tick. Also, is the malady that causes this annoying noise doing harm?

I don't know whether yamaha will fix it or not,but they have been repairing these problems even out of warranty.If I were you I'd take it to a dealer near you and see what they'll do for you.

You migfht want to call cypress first and talk with them about it.

AS for the problem getting worse,yes it will but it's a gradual thing and it won't get you stuck on the side of the road.When it gets real bad you'll have a residue of oil coming out your tail pipe.

How many miles does your bike have? Does it clatter a lot around 2800- 3500 rpm's?

If so it's probably a ticker. You should be able to get it fixed.The repair cost is somewhere around 3 grand.

You might also want to talk to the regional tech rep in your area if the dealer stonewalls you.

The more you know before you talk to someone the better off you'll be because a lot of these dealers have never done this repair and your knowledge will help them.Good luck and let us know what happens.

Also one other thing for you,you'll hear the ticking on the left side of the motor on #1&2 cylinders.If you run it up to around 2800 rpms in idle on your center stand with your head on that side of the motor you can hear it real well.If it's in the advaced stage you can hear it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cause of the problem is exhaust valve guides. Are you sure that you have a ticker? These motors have a natural slight tick. If you have the real tick it will be very loud!!

-jwilly

You migfht want to call cypress first and talk with them about it.
I disagree. I think you find a dealer to drop your headers and look for oil first. They find oil then they should call Cypress about "excessive valve guide wear".

We're seeing multiple folks that try Cypress first, get the cold shoulder, get frustrated with Yamaha, and then get annoyed. I think that folks that find a helpful dealer are generally better off.

I recommend you start here:

Iggy's Bin of Facts

Regarding cost. I didn't pay a cent, but the tab to Yamaha was just over $900.

Including new gaskets, new head bolts (not reusable, they usually miss this, which delays the rebuild after the new valves/guides arrive), new coolant, new valves/guides.

Regarding damage to the bike, if your not burning oil, you can just ride. No worries.

Keep an eye on the oil level.

Eventually the valve guides can wear to the point oil gets by and out the exhaust.

But, that could be many, many thousands of happy miles from now. I rode mine for 10K after I first heard the issue at 10K. Never did burn any oil. Just got it fixed because it was winter and still under warranty.

Bump the dealer to see if Yamaha will cover it. Yamaha is now sensitive to the issue.

When my dealer contacted them, I believe they already had a repair parts list ready.

No resistance. They did forget the head bolts on the first parts order.

Yamaha has paid to fix some bikes out of warranty. They definitely won't pay if you don't ask.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Mine got worse sounding over time and the sound came and went.

I have diagnosed several tickers over the last few years.

80% of the people who think they might have a ticker, because of subtle motor noises, don't have any reason to lose sleep.

If there is disagreement between knowlegable owners, you are either ok, or it is too early to get a dealer to acknowledge it. Either way, just go ride.

100% of the people who are embarressed by the sound of their bike, have a ticker.

When non-FJR owners ask "what is that sound?", you have a ticker.

Just curious, how many miles are on your bike?

You can read some material about The Tick on my web site. Go to https://www.bestbits.org/fjr1300 and click through the ticker links.

I agree about not calling Cypress first. (When we say "Cypress" we mean "Yamaha USA Customer Service" which is in Cypress, California.) You call them when your dealer gives you a blank stare regarding the tick ("excessive top-end noise") even after they've called Yamaha's dealer service line.

Best bet is to find a dealer who's done this at least once, so you're not the one breaking them in. A problem involving valve guides is so unusual that they never believe you when you say "I read on the Internet that this might be happening to me." Once they've seen one (and seen Yamaha cover the repair), they'll be in a more receptive frame of mind for the next one.

Wow.......thanks for all the great info. I need to try these detection suggestions because now that I have read all this I am wondering if I really have the problem. I was not aware that the motor had a slight ticking sound anyway. Before my FJR I had three different VFR's ('95 and two '98's, the first one was literally run over by a semi.........I was on it at the time but escaped with a twisted knee and some road rash) and as you know they have a very distinct noise themselves. Maybe I am just fabricating it because I believe ALL 93 FJR's have the problem.

My bike has 9200 miles on it now and I have put 2000 of those miles on since I bought it. The original owner had several bikes and just did not ride it much. I live in Tampa and fortunately I have a good connection with my local shop. I will approach them once I have gone through all of your suggestions if it appears I truly have the problem.

Thanks in advance for being patient with me while I ask questions........ it seems like there is a ton of knowledge on this forum. I really like this type of format. I am an avid (bi)cyclist and hang out on a cycling forum similar to what you guys have here.

Thanks again,

Eric