New Guy Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shootist

I am a 44 year old fart. with little to no riding experience ( a parking lot on a Honda CB750 30 years ago).

I know the bike I want, (FJR) however I am concerned that I might be out of my league on this bike.

With a MSF course before purchase could a person with common sense ride this bike with it's horsepower safely?

Question2 - What is TBS when it comes to the 600 mile service?

Question3 - Suspension Setup, I have read about 10 pages of material on Suspension Setup dealing mostly with Racing Sport Bikes. With that being said, the FJR had a Hard/Soft Lever to adjust the Rear Setup.

Would Suspension Setup be hard to learn for a New Guy or would the Setup done at the dealership be sufficient?

Thanks in Advance for all the help.

1) Too many theories will be offered on this one. You have to make your own decision. My opinion: too much bike, unless you have great self-control and promise to never make a bad decision until you gain some experience.

My personal advice would be to buy a used SV-650 or similar lighter weight, "torquey" bike (read: twin cylinder) which are much easier to control and ride. Plus, if you should accidently "drop" the bike, you're not likely to do many thousands of dollars of damage to the fairings, etc.

Absolutely take an MSF riders course regardless of the bike you start with.

2) TBS: Throttle Body Synchronization. Adjusting all of the injector butterflies so that they have ezual vacuum thus making each cylinder intake balanced with the others. In other words, all injectors and cylinders are adjusted to "match" so that they all pull equally and in synch. A much smoother and stronger engine.

3) Owners who have been riding for years can't figure it out. The best way is to set compression and rebound on the "middle" setting, then adjust for your personal riding taste and suspension control/feedback. Some like their suspension set "tight", others like theirs set soft, more like a cruiser.

The "Hard/Soft" setting on the rear shock is for preload, that is to stiffen the rear shock to prevent sagging when carrying a passenger or having the bags loaded heavily. The front forks also have a preload adjustment.

Question #1: Take an MSF course. Check it out immediately. Once you've completed the course, then do what madmike2 says, and pick up a smaller bike. Even a used Ninja 250 would do you well.

It's about surviving the experience. Do it in baby steps. Be safe.

Oh pashaw, go for it. Just take it easy and don't push your limitations. :devil: The bike handles well and stops great. Keep taking classes along the way. No such thing as too much training, as long as it's competently done.

[SIZE=8pt]And don't blame me if you crash.[/SIZE]

toecutter....bad :angry2: ....inciting fng to jump on the big horse :blink: before learning to ride the pony :huh: ...what would your mother say.... :unsure:

If you are looking for someone to agree with you to validate your choices -- I probably wont fit the bill.

my suggestion -

1. Take the msf course -

2. Find a used bike - UJM (universal japanese machine) wont cost too much - you can ride the snot out of it and find out if riding bikes is really what you want to do - AND

3. Figure out what kind of bike you want

you will make a more informed purchase - and buy a bike that fits your style

I would agree that buying a bike with great brakes and adequate power is preferable to one with lousy brakes and can't get out of its own way - but most people on this list have owned other bikes. Most of the people smiled like crazy when they bought those bikes. Most of the people moved on to other types of bikes and ultimately ended up on an FJR - or have a stable of bikes for different types of riding.

I honestly would suggest you buy a used crappy dirt bike. Learn to ride in the dirt. You will learn more about brake and throttle control and traction in a couple of months of dirt riding than you will in a couple of years on pavement (and probably have fewer bruises... certainly less road rash). Then get a street bike.

figure out what kind of riding you like to do - touring - SPORT touring or sport TOURING, cruising, power cruising, bling bling butt ornaments, enduro, dual sport, dirt, side car, naked bike, fully faired, modern, classic, british, german, american, italian, japanese, russian, or whatever. will you ride 2 up or single. If 2 up... then what does the other person want to ride?

Take the experienced rider course after the RSS course (beginner course) and then go for a track day lesson or cornering school - but you should put some time on 2 wheels.

The trick is to survive the first year. After that....

its cake.

just remember - they really ARE out to get you !

Its true you must walk before you fly

And you must puts around on a slow steed before you hop on a stallion.

You will spend less time in the ditch picking up your 12 grand on a bike that you thought you knew how to ride if you spend just one season on a starter bike.

I looked like a circus clown on my kaw 440 when i started when i was 20 then moved to a 750 then 1100 and back to a 750 then baaam the 1300.

way too heavy a bike to start out on . i went from a 460 lb. bike that i was riding for 12 plus years to this beast which is around 650 lbs. and it was a while before i was comfortable with it . do youself a favor and start on a smaller bike to get your feet wet again .

On my return to riding after a career, I took the MSF Rider's Safety Course and then bought a Yami YZF600, what I called an "FJR, Jr." During my 13 months of riding the 600, I learned, the hard way, that if you drop it in a parking lot, you can damage the fairing! When the FJR came in, I sold the 600 and rode the FJR w/ right hand discipline as I learned to ride the beast. All things considered, the transition to the FJR was very smooth.

That was my experience, FWIW. Regarding advice for your situation, I don't have any...ADVICE: A wise man doesn't need it and a fool won't heed it.

I am concerned that I might be out of my league on this bike.

IMO, too big and heavy for a beginner. You might get away with not dropping it, but it is far more likely that you will end up on the ground, probably more than once, with big repair bills and possibly very sore body parts. Take the MSF course, buy a much smaller (350-650 cc) used standard without fairings, get the hang of it for a year, and sell it for almost what you paid for it.

In addition to the weight, it is also a taller bike then most cruisers. If you are vertically challenged it will be even more of a handful for the less experienced. Buy a smaller used bike and get the feel for what kind of riding you enjoy. Keep in mind it is not only your riding skill in a parking lot, it is how well you can adapt to the pot holes and other traffic, all of which takes time and experience.

If you are asking the question - you are not ready.

:blink: Sounds like you have been doing some research as far as throttle body sync and suspension settings and are almost ready to jump in feet first and buy yourself an FJR.

Out of concern for your well being and longevity, not to mention pocket book (replacing panels and speeding tickets) I can't stress enough that you take a MSF rider course first then get yourself a used small to midsize bike 250cc to 650 cc to really get your bearings and most of all experiance and confidence.

It's not a matter of if you will drop your bike or have a possible get off (mis-judging speed in wet weather while taking a turn, hitting gravel in a turn, putting your foot down in a puddle of oil at a stop light and falling over), it's a matter of when.

While you are gaining experiance on the smaller bike you can begin to make more valid judgements as far as what type of rider or riding you like to do and hence what kind of bike you will ultimately look for. Are you an in town cruiser, do you aspire to take long trips, are you a sporting type?

Just like automobiles motorcycles are designed and aimed at different riding populations. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole just won't work and trying to utilize the ultimate crotch rocket on a 5,000 mile tour in nine days would be suicide for your lower back, neck and wrists. Knowing what you are, who you are, what you are looking to accomplish and what you want to do will determine what you buy.

The denizens of this board think highly of the FJR and many like me think it is the ultimate sport touring machine, but we all arrived at that point because we all have had decades of experiance on many different kinds of bikes, dirt, dual, road, naked standard, crotch rockets, cruisers and tourers to find us at a point in life where we knew what we wanted to do and what bike would satisfy the mission statement.

We also have the years of experiance to know to have a HEALTHY respect for the capabilities and power of a bike like the FJR, twist the throttle and you are triple digits before you can blink, but the downside is you are on a six hundred pound missle that you need experiance to deal with if you get into a dicey situation.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more I'd like to do then welcome another member to the FJR club, but I think you would serve yourself better by gaining riding experiance under all kinds of conditions before you jump in with both feet.

SMC (Yamaha 175 enduro, Yamaha RD 250, Honda 360, Honda 450, Kawasaki Mach III, Yamaha XS 500, Honda 550 four, Honda CX 500, Yamaha XS 750, Honda CBR 750, Kawasaki 600 Ninja, Kawasaki 1100, BMW 650, BMW 1100 RT, Harley Davidson Road King, BMW 1150 RT, '05 Yamaha FJR, '06 Yamaha FJR are some of the bikes I've owned or had a fair amount of saddle time in)

Agree with most of the responses here, the FJR has two problems as a "starter bike", it's got a lot of horses to control if you're not used to managing the throttle, and second, it's pretty heavy.

My suggestion for a starter bike, would be an old Seca-II, great beater, you'll drop it, and not need to worry because they're dirt cheap these days.

The owner of the company I work for is essentially a new rider like you are. He just completed a state sponsored riding course that was 3 days long. His training bike was a 250cc. Some of his observations were that it is confusing trying to keep straight that the left hand operates the clutch, horn, turn signals and lights; the right hand operates the throttle and front brake, the right foot handles the rear brake and the left foot shifts. Oh ya, the left foot has to shift down for first and then shift up for the other gears unless trying to find neutral. He mentions that throttle control was very touchy and the clutch took some getting used to. As training progressed they got into more of the accelerate within so many feet to 25 mph then brake to a stop within so many feet without putting down a foot. First try brought some confusion as to what to push, pull, turn, grab and press. All this without having traffic to worry about. After 3 days of training, while it was all fresh he just barely passed his license test. He has now signed up for another more advanced class because he knows that he isn't traffic worthy yet.

His son have him a Hardley (big bore kit, cam, performance carbs) for Christmas and he says that he knows he can't yet safely handle that bike on public roads and it could be a while before he can. The FJR is taller, heaver, way more powerful than his Hardley. If you, as a green, new rider happen upon a situation where you must go or stop suddenly, will your hands and feet automatically find the correct controls? Will it be controlled? Do you trust your life that you will get your ONE chance, in an emergency situation to do the right things?

Just some thoughts. There have been riders that purchased a Hayabusa as a first bike and have lived to gain the required experience. There have been some 250cc owners that came to the realization that biking isn't for them (my sister-in-law). We can only advise, the decision is yours. Hopefully we will supply you enough information for you to make an informed choice.

Good luck with what ever you decide!

I'm gonna sound like an echo chamber... but...

I started motorcycling a few years ago by taking the MSF, and buying an '82 Yamaha Virago 750. Decent sized engine... not top heavy at all... something I could flat foot, and wasn't overly concerned about dropping (although amazingly I never did). Became comfortable with the bike controls, and started to learn how to ride without thinking about the actions of making the motorcycle go or stop. Also learned a LOT about wrenching a bike... which helps in numerous ways, both real and subliminal.

While this was going on... my perception of my next "real" bike changed from a Victory Vegas, to an FJR. Don't know what caused the change... but it was probably initiated by a desire to drive more than within the city limits once and a while... and a short trip I took on the Virago. Saw a picture of the FJR, and that's all she wrote. But by the time I got the bike, I was no longer intimidated by it's engine, size, or seat height... and was able to concentrate on learning it's secrets, rather than learning it's secrets and how to ride a bike in traffic at the same time.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing...

+1 on the Course. Do it!

I also recommend alot of practicing on a smallish bike using the Motor Lessons book (available online I think for free). This is the lesson plan for motorcycle cops. Can't recommend it enough, even for old salts like me.

Check out a used Buell Blast. Extremely cheap and easily turned over to the next beginner after you have a season under your belt. IMHO, this is THE best beginners bike out there and allows you to concentrate on your riding, not on the bike.

I am a 44 year old fart. with little to no riding experience ( a parking lot on a Honda CB750 30 years ago).

I know the bike I want, (FJR) however I am concerned that I might be out of my league on this bike.

With a MSF course before purchase could a person with common sense ride this bike with it's horsepower safely?

Question2 - What is TBS when it comes to the 600 mile service?

Question3 - Suspension Setup, I have read about 10 pages of material on Suspension Setup dealing mostly with Racing Sport Bikes. With that being said, the FJR had a Hard/Soft Lever to adjust the Rear Setup.

Would Suspension Setup be hard to learn for a New Guy or would the Setup done at the dealership be sufficient?

Thanks in Advance for all the help.

Just to echo whaat the guys have said...

I'm moderator on a couple of ladies bike forums.... same questions... same answers..

1.MSF course

2. small or midsize beater bike, either some kind of cruiser or something...

3. RIDE!

4. take the advanced course after a year...

5. then go buy your bikes! <BG>

20 years ago.. Yammy 350 RD, the 500, the 650 Special

a couple years, two kids and an ex ago...

Yammy 1100 VStar, added a 1200 suzuki Banidt then a Harley Softail Deuce, now the FJR for touring, and am looking at victorys...
:D

good luck and dont' rush...

Mary aka Krashdragon