New Hella FF50 Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motordog1

Reaction score
I just installed a set of Hella ff50 driving lights. They make both a fog and driving light in this model. These cost me 69.00 to my door from Autoanything .com. They work great, I see no reason to spend more.

lightmountone.jpg

hellalightsone.jpg

Hellaone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand the FF50 lights are a great bang for the buck light. They produce a lot of usable light, and are quite inexpensive relatively speaking. I'm glad they work well for you, and I'm sure for a lot of people looking for a little more light output these lights fit the bill perfectly.

Personally I see a lot of reasons for wanting/needing to spend more on auxiliary lights. Halogen lights use up more power than the more expensive HID lights do. HID also produces more light, and can produce it at a color that more closely resembles the suns rays. If your setting up your FJR for LD riding, these are very important considerations to keep in mind, especially considering the FJR's relatively small stator.

Regarding the stator output on the FJR am I correct that it puts out 490 watts. And if this is the case what is left after 130 watts for the high beams and the fuel pump etc that the bike requires. I have used 110 watts worth of aux lighting in the past for long durations without any problem. I don't now and will not in the future utilize any heated clothing or grips, must my lights and gps. I have been told by several people that you should not expend more than 70 to 80 percent of the available output of stator. Just curious as to what others might have to say regarding this issue

Additionaly I have read that the OSRAM SYLVANIA- Hyper (Clear)- 65W H7 bulbs are awsome. I talked to the people at SUVlights.com and they stated this bulb will not tax the capabilities of the ff50 lights, and it is only an additional 20 watts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran FF50's for about a year and if you're not running electric clothing and happy with the light vs. cost--they're great. You're right that you're using 110 of the 120 or 130 watts of surplus. With my Datel I would drop from 14.3 nominal voltage to 13.8 or 13.9. A bit of an exercise for the stator, but not making it pant.

Good job!

I just got a complete kit from Garauld and wanted to comment on how easy he was to work with and how great his brackets look. I transmitted funds via PayPal on Sunday and the kit arrived Wednesday.

THANKS GARY !!!

I've run the FF50 drivers over a year now on Frank, mounted on one of G's first bracket sets. Combined with the oe high beams, it is the first time in my life of riding I am comfortable with nightime vision. More than once, they have alerted me to the presence of the dreaded Foresticus Rattus, a common occurence here in the Great White North, far in advance of what both auto and, of course, motorcycle lighting I was used to.