New Kawasaki Sport Tourer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That keeps on cropping up. I have no info, but life without the venerable Connie (to pick on) is gonna be strange...

The Connie community has been screaming at Kawi to revamp that bike for years. Will they finally listen? As a former Concours owner, I can tell them that it's too late as far as I'm concerned. I already moved on from that.

The Connie community has been screaming at Kawi to revamp that bike for years. Will they finally listen? As a former Concours owner, I can tell them that it's too late as far as I'm concerned. I already moved on from that.
One of the selling points when they brought it out was that it wasn't going to be totally changed in 3-4 years.... I think they waited a little too long! :blink:

Welllll, I dunno! If it doesn't tick and comes even close to the shock value the Connie brought to the table when it showed up????? Surely Kawi has read the complaints and kudos of the owners of other ST's. If they came up with the right combination they could make the ST market verrrry interesting.

A couple years back, Cycle World had a cover story about a clean-sheet design new sport-touring concept bike from Kawasaki that was quite radical and quite stunning. Nothing heard since. If Kawasaki puts this bike in production, it will definitely catch my interest.

Kawasaki is doing some interesting things. There are rumors that the new 650cc parallel twin is going to get an adventure version which would fill a big hole in the market for a lightweight 650 dual-sport twin that would slot in between the R12GS/KTM950 and the singles.

- Mark

I wouldn’t put much faith in Motorcycle Cycle News, but this is a cool look at the rumored “2006 ZZR1300” : https://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...ST;f=22;t=34543

I really dig the Ferrari style gills. Notice it looks like the FJR nose except 4 lights in front. Supposedly 170 hp to the crank. Very attractive IMHO.

Markjenn, I know exactly the issue of CW you speak of….the Jan ‘04 issue. Very cool indeed and would strongly consider that model which was what they called the ZZR-X.

Come on Honda…where’s the updated XX V-5! Now, that would be my top pick! :D

In keeping with Kawasaki's industrial earth moving equipment design philosophy, it would make logical sense to splice two of the ER6 motors together to make a 1300 capable of about 165 horses.

BUT, is the big K willing to create a homogenized platform that replaces the Concours AND the ZX11-12 megamotor SPORT-touring bikes? It would be financial folly for them to keep the S/T market segmented as it is, and then come out with a bike that has to compete against the ST1300, the FJR, and the various Beemers. The market's not that big, and their market share is/has been dwindling.

Give me a Kaw S/T bike with a ZX10 front end and brakes, a double jointed - double cardan shaftie rear, 180 ponies and a real frame...... I'll switch brands faster than NFL commercial sales.

It is interesting to note that the two Japanese mfgs who make big heavyweight GT bikes (Suzuki with the Busa and Kawasaki with the ZX-12) have not invested recent R&D in a competitive sport-tourer, while the two mfgs who have front-line sport-tourers (Honda with the ST and Yamaha with the FJR) do not, now that the XX is history, have a heavyweight GT bike. This would indicate that they view there to be too much canablization between the two.

Of course, BMW seems to be able to have four or five different bikes in the general sport-touring category (K1200S, K1200ST, R1200RT, R1200ST, and you could consider the R1200GS in the category) and Ducati even has a few entries with the ST3, ST4, and Multistrada, so it perplexes me why the Japanese approach this motorcycle category like it's the proverbial third rail.

- Mark

now that the XX is history
Markjenn…just a minor correction. The XX is alive and selling well…it’s just that we don’t get this great motorcycle imported to the states anymore. Too bad it didn‘t sell well here. IMHO this probably is one of the greatest inline 4 engines ever produced for reliability/smoothness. Let’s hope for an update XX and that Honda ships it to the states! Rumor has it the XX V-5 bad boy puts out 200 hp to the crankster. ….Don’t you love rumors. :dribble: Okay...back to some Kwak talk. :D

Thanks for correction; I didn't realize the XX was still being sold overseas. I agree, great bike, although it never quite was able to emerge from the long shadows of the Busa and ZX-12.

The V5 rumor ebbs and flows with every season and seems to range in spec from a mass-market simultaneous replacement for the VFR and XX to a $50K limited production sport bike like the new Ducati V4. Honda has been so conservative of late, my money is on evolutionary refinements to both the VFR and XX. Time will tell ...

- Mark

WOW…here’s some more fun *rumor* info on the ZZR1300. Pg 26 in Cycle World Sept ’05 has a rumor that “ A new ZZR 1300 may appear as soon as 2006 with more than 190 horsepower and peak torque of 110 foot-pounds. “ Let us hope that some of these rumors actually materialize. I can hardly wait! :dribble:

To me those pics of the ZZR1300 look more like a 'Busa killer - I just don't see sport touring in that pic at all, and don't see that bike as being categorized with the ST, FJR, and Beemer ST bikes. No bags, no adjustable screen, minimal wind protection, ass-in-the-air/monkey-fuckin-a-football riding position, and prolly chain drive to boot with that much HP on tap. Not saying it's a bad bike, but it's not a ST style bike from what's shown in those pics, IMO.

That just looks like a big-ass Ninja to me. Of course, look at all the peeps who ST on the XX with chain and all. Rumors and speculation....

I would love to see a V5 XX here soon.