New progect

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bustanut joker

Reaction score
I've been entrusted to do a complete restoration on a unique unit for a friend.This is going to be a challenge as there isn't a lot of info out here.
Q8tD1RV.jpg
LzgOscw.jpg
1959 Dille Mc Guire TR3. It's powered by a super rare Briggs and Stratton 5 3/4 horse engine and a 21 inch cut. Belt driven off a secondary crankshaft which in turn drives a chain routed to the front tire. To reverse direction you just turn the tiller 180 degrees. Zero brakes or lawyer parts.From what I have learned the TR3's were only produced for two years before they were recalled to dealers and supposed to be destroyed due to several lawsuits involving lost/maimed feet or other body parts. Owners were paid purchase price plus a few bucks. I've been told it's quite possible this may be on of a handful known to exist.
IF by chance anyone has any info regarding this thing let me know.Anyway it's an ugly little shit that I know is going to be a fun restore. I'll try and post pics as things progress.

Keep your feet on  the pegs.. um pads. The first time I rode a three wheeled ATV I ran over my foot and twisted my ankle. I can understand how people were cutting  themselves with that mower.

Still, it is pretty cool. Does the engine run?

Yep chain drive to front tire.

It will Greg, got it to spark yesterday and didn't have to buy anything. Will need carb kit and unless my guy in Minnesota has a NOS piston and rings they will have to be made.
Last time I had to do that the combo was $170 and change. $$$$ but he want's it running.  

Man, that is cool. Back when men were men even if you lost a foot or two.

Can't wait to see the finished project. If it was mine I'd remove the blade (not manly enough to risk cutting off a limb) and terrorize the neighborhood.

Just looking at what I can see, I am amazed anyone would even try that thing!!! I am making some assumptions here, but that lever on the left side engages the drive? The doodad on top of the front cover is throttle? And no way to disengage the blade??? I can see myself getting into a corner of the yard, trying to figure out how to turn the tiller around without going too far sideways, smashing up against the side of the house... Holy crap.

Hope the lawyers don't come after you and order the thing destroyed, I'd really like to see how it looks when you're done, and see progress during the work!!

As far as "safety" goes, this one might have it beat...

50018968633_84dbf2cb5c_c.jpg

No worries about limb loss, isn't going to have a blade nor will one ever be able to be mounted. Going to machine the end of the crank down far enough you won't be able to bolt one on. 

Be careful removing the blade.   On some vertical shaft engines the blade acts as the flywheel as well as the primary finger and toe remover.  If thats the case it will be hard if not impossible to start. DAHIKT.

And I love the little tab at the back acting like a trailer hitch.  Sweet!

The idea of a small format riding mower that can turn in it's own footprint would be very handy for people with smaller lawns who can't or don't want to walk behind a mower. The design, as it evolved, must have had a lot of compromises and the end result is what you see. Good idea, bad implementation. Considering some of the very stupid things I have seen people do with power equipment, I don't know of it's possible to safely make a riding mower with a deck small enough that a person can reach the ground with his foot while the blade is spinning.

I could see having something that small that had two string cutters instead of one blade. Not a riding machine, a walk behind be better. Our back “lawn” leading down to the lake is steep, and so convoluted to use a riding mower, or even a wide swath walk behind. Right now we cut it with a weed wacker only. Been thinking about putting wheels on it so I don’t even have to hold it up for the 3-4 hours it takes to cut the lawn.  

Yes  but those are big motored jobs which aren’t much different than a regular walk behind metal blade mower. I was thinking more of a light weight thing you could pick up  and use like a weed whacker that just had wheels on. 

Part of the problem is we have two weed whackers, a battery powered one and a corded electric one. We have to use the lower powered battery one near the back of the house because the corded one would toss tiny rocks at sufficient velocity to take out the glass on the sliding doors we have at the rear of the house. So far we have had to replace the same door glass twice, and at $600 a pop it’s not something I want to deal with again. 

Well the TR3 is in a holding pattern as the sandblast guy I use has closed up shop to "stay safe" pisses me off but whatever.

So I decided to work on one of my own.
Allis Chalmers 1980 910 series. Bought the tractor, rearmount rototiller, rear blade, mower deck, and snow blower for 4 bills. Sold the tiller before I drove 50 miles for three fiddy! So a stupid great deal at fifty bucks. Just had to repair damage inflicted by fluffy on the wiring and work on the carb. The 321 Kohler runs solid and everything works great.Only have this for a before shot.    

8Uz5vQK.jpg

After

eT7gqAX.jpg

pQZcnvo.jpg

WC6nIzP.jpg

On the advice of a buddy who uses his old Bolens for snow blowing I ditched the brand new Carslie Turf Treads and installed Deestone rears with the chains. He says the 'stones will move the snow out from the tire instead of ride up on it like the Carslie's.
Anyway nothing ever goes off without a hitch! Discovered the right side pillow bearing on the snowblower auger was poop. had it out in half an hour but the two cups of grease in the housing made a feckin mess.

Still have to finish the mower deck but it will never be mounted. Don't need 4 mowers to cut one lawn.
Next up will probably be my little Wheel Horse, a 1962 702 series.