New Self-Cancelling Turn Signals Product!?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an additional info from them related to the question of function and installation:

Thank you for your e-mail. You can check the draft of installation instructions here: https://www.safer-turn.com/2016/03/we-believe-in-safety-and-simplicity/. Basicly you are conecting the device to left and right turn signal cable, flasher, voltage supply and ground (GND). Than you will have to modify your switch by inserting two pieces of foam. Everything can be put back to previous condition. You will receive exact instructions for your brand and model with STS device. Device works based on movement sensors, you can check videos here: https://www.safer-turn.com/2016/03/testing-rides-update/.

It is "nice to have" feature and if will work and will be reliable I am OK to pay full price later for Plug&Play feature. But not today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an additional info from them related to the question of function and installation:

Thank you for your e-mail. You can check the draft of installation instructions here: https://www.safer-turn.com/2016/03/we-believe-in-safety-and-simplicity/. Basicly you are conecting the device to left and right turn signal cable, flasher, voltage supply and ground (GND). Than you will have to modify your switch by inserting two pieces of foam. Everything can be put back to previous condition. You will receive exact instructions for your brand and model with STS device. Device works based on movement sensors, you can check videos here: https://www.safer-turn.com/2016/03/testing-rides-update/.

It is "nice to have" feature and if will work and will be reliable I am OK to pay full price later for Plug&Play feature. But not today.
I read that as well, but putting 2 pieces of foam in the switch? How is that going to work? I still need to engage the switch to make the signals come on. This device has no way of knowing when I want to turn so how will they be activated if foam is set in place. I want to see a video of a full install then I'll determine if it is something to consider.

I had a Kisan system on my '07. It would appear this one has 'latching' circuits when you push the signal switch left or right. The foam essentially acts as a spring to re-center the signal switch to 'off'. Same as Kisan (Signal Dynamics maybe similar) which then time out depending on your chosen setting. With Kisan you could manually cancel by pushing again, or apply the brakes and it would restart the timer. This new system has movement sensors, so they say it will cancel after sensing a turn. The Kisan system replaces your flasher and tap into wiring, this one keeps the OEM flasher and taps into the signal wiring if I understand it correctly. If the complete user manual was available it might have more info (I will ask), but it appears to be a notch up in sophistication.

The price point concerns me, but Kisan in comparison is U$110......... hmmmmm.

Hmmm.... I also received the Beta Tester email.... For $50 I would have jumped at it for $90 and having to mod the turn signal switch, I am going to sit back and wait.

The way I read the foam inserts thing, and will stand corrected if need be, is that it disables mechanical latching hooks inside the turn signal button assembly so that the button will spring back to center when thumb pressure is removed. Like Rayzerman said, the device would likely have an internal electronic holding circuit to replace the mechanical latch of the button switch, and once it's conditions are met it can release the electronic latch automatically.

The way I read the foam inserts thing, and will stand corrected if need be, is that it disables mechanical latching hooks inside the turn signal button assembly so that the button will spring back to center when thumb pressure is removed. Like Rayzerman said, the device would likely have an internal electronic holding circuit to replace the mechanical latch of the button switch, and once it's conditions are met it can release the electronic latch automatically.
Stands to reason but I don't want to assume anything & would like to see a video of an install, not necessarily on an FJR just one that is similar to the FJR

Stands to reason but I don't want to assume anything & would like to see a video of an install, not necessarily on an FJR just one that is similar to the FJR
OK, so this will be me being mostly ignorant of how this stuff works, but doesn't the FJR turn signal already return to center when you activate a turn signal? You then push it in to cancel the signal. Does that mean we wouldn't have to mess with the foam inserts in the switch assembly, or is there something I'm missing? (probably lots!)

My 1985 Honda magna has this option!
I know, right? My 85 Sabre and 83 Magna both had them which is why I whine about the feejer's lack of them. I commented to the dealer when ordering my bike a few weeks back about them not being on the fjr's otherwise near perfect platform. He said he thought it was because Yamaha viewed this as a potential liability issue. I have a hard time understanding Yamaha's logic on this if that is true, wouldn't a non cancelled signal be more of a hazard than a prematurely cancelled one? Maybe we can thank the lawyers on this one?

OK, so this will be me being mostly ignorant of how this stuff works, but doesn't the FJR turn signal already return to center when you activate a turn signal? You then push it in to cancel the signal. Does that mean we wouldn't have to mess with the foam inserts in the switch assembly, or is there something I'm missing? (probably lots!)
You're right, sorry for misspeaking, the the button itself springs back to center, but it actuates a carriage assembly inside, and it's this carriage that stays mechanically latched until the button is pressed to release it. Thanks for the clarification

You're right, sorry for misspeaking, the the button itself springs back to center, but it actuates a carriage assembly inside, and it's this carriage that stays mechanically latched until the button is pressed to release it. Thanks for the clarification
No, thank YOU for filling me in on the mechanics of how the switch works! If I had taken it apart I would have certainly learned how it works, but then, I never would have gotten it back together after that. This way I'm slightly smarter and still have a working switch assembly.
tonguesmiley.gif

Having done the switch mod on my FJR, anyone can do it, and it is completely reversible. It's just adding a little foam pad which compresses and springs back as you use it. No biggie, 5 minutes. Tapping into the wiring is required no matter whose system you have.

The old Magna system had this electro-mechanical pendulum affair..... a simple lean angle sensor, and that system worked well!!

In the Honda schematic below, note the Control Unit at bottom center. The moveable bar at the bottom of the Control Unit is a steering position sensor connected to the bottom of the steering stem which measures steering angle. There is a wire connection to the Speed/Tach sensor on the top. The Control Unit had 5 inputs including the speed and steering angle sensor; at least three conditions which had to be met before the Unit would cancel the turn signals. It worked easily as well as any car signal canceling system.

Today you can get a 3 axis accelerometer with 14 bits of resolution for under $2. Add a bit of code and you are good to go. To make them it may cost $12 per canceling unit including software but charge $187 so you can put $175 per unit into a reserved slush fund to fight law suits.

TurnSignal.jpg

If you like annoying beepers and still able to the press the cancle button, it's pretty easy to add a small beeper to a relay to signal this.

I did this on a Beemer but would have to search the web for a wiring diagram.

I've been back and forth with some email from SMS, and it appears the info on the website is what you get (for now). They do not have user manuals or install instructions, still developing those and will ship product in June with bike specific instructions.

Meanwhile, on a DIY note, a relay to latch the flasher on, a one minute timer as backup, a lean angle sensor of some kind, to release an always on relay to disengage the flasher........... I'd think one could emulate the old Honda system as it had no code or software..... also I can't remember if the GL1800 system had a time-out/angle sense as well as distance travelled (750', which needed to be longer). All this would require more thought by someone....

I got an answer back from these guys yesterday. They confirmed what I think some of us already knew, that the signal wires have to be cut to insert this device into the circuit. That's a deal breaker for me, I'm not going to be doing that on a brand new bike. I was at the dealer today, he said he could probably get the connectors and pins needed to make something like this work without cutting the harness. Hmm, back to thinking about this thing again now.