New tire from Pirelli

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my suggestion that these "hot new tires" will come standard on the VFR1000 was too subtle.

What I was inferring was that Motorcycle News is known to make stuff up based on rumor and speculation, and then release articles on it as an exclusive press release, just to sell copies.

Oh, and Diablo Stradas aren't dual compound. They just wear that way. ;)

They do get great mileage
Wow really? This is the fastest wearing tire that I've used... ever. But truth be told... I've only tried 3 different kinds. This one wears the fastest for me by a couple of thousand miles.

I'd give a new type of Pirelli a try, though.

Wow really? This is the fastest wearing tire that I've used... ever. But truth be told... I've only tried 3 different kinds. This one wears the fastest for me by a couple of thousand miles.
I've been through several brands of tires and have found the Stradas to be the best combination between traction and wear for my riding style. There is one caution though, you must get the Pirelli Strada 180/55ZR-17[SIZE=14pt]E[/SIZE] made for the FJR. My two previous Strada E's got >10k miles on the rear tire, then through an error by a dealer they mounted a non E on my bike. I burned through the non E in <6k miles this spring.

After a little searching I find that the only mention of Pirelli Angel ST tires is MCN. I did read a couple of technical articles by Pirelli about the Diablo Rosso tire and they went to great length to describe how important the current tread pattern is to the performance of the tire. I fail to see how devils and angles could provide the same performance and water shedding. To take it a step farther, I hope the Diablo devil tires are red and the Angel STs are white :p

Last edited by a moderator:

They do get great mileage

Heidi,

What were the others you tried?

I got >6k out of both Strada rears and ~8k out of the 1st front. The second front is still on there with, a Roadsmart on the back.

Oh, and Diablo Stradas aren't dual compound. They just wear that way.
I'm not so sure . . . note the following text:

"Both the Sportec and Diablo ranges of motorcycle tyres offer blended quad compounds that are harder in the centre of the tyre than on the edges and have a very high silica content in order to repel water."

and

"Pirelli Diablo Strada

The carefully blended quad compond gives all the grip you can ask for at the outer edges of the tyre, whilst the harder centre compounds both reduces wear and retains the overall shape of the tyre for much greater distances."

It certainly wears like a dual compound tire.

Oh, and Diablo Stradas aren't dual compound. They just wear that way.
I'm not so sure . . . note the following text:

"Both the Sportec and Diablo ranges of motorcycle tyres offer blended quad compounds that are harder in the centre of the tyre than on the edges and have a very high silica content in order to repel water."

and

"Pirelli Diablo Strada

The carefully blended quad compond gives all the grip you can ask for at the outer edges of the tyre, whilst the harder centre compounds both reduces wear and retains the overall shape of the tyre for much greater distances."

It certainly wears like a dual compound tire.

Well there you go... So I was right. It isn't a dual compound tire.

It's a "quad compound" whatever that means. :eek:

I guess that explains why it wears that way.

I have only had the non-E Stradas on mine and my mileage was as Ion says ~6k.

Depending on how this Toadsmart goes, and how correct MCN is about their demise, I may try an E code Strada next.

Ideally I'd like to find a combo that would get ~8-9k miles and wear out front and back at the same time.