New, to forum - what farkles do you guys put on. and questions on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody has their own list, but to me, the most important "FJRkles" are all about safety, then comfort, in that order. e.g. Reflective tape, aux. front lights, Hyper-lites on the back (with flashers), and the best gear you can afford. Then the seat mods, the windshield, peg adjustments as needed (highway pegs are nice), grip heaters, electric vest, etc if needed, etc. Somewhere in there is protecting your investment, so sliders for sure, which should be factory standard. When that's all done, you'll be looking at a lot of other FJRs for ideas. It just keeps going.

Everybody has their own list, but to me, the most important "FJRkles" are all about safety, then comfort, in that order. e.g. Reflective tape, aux. front lights, Hyper-lites on the back (with flashers), and the best gear you can afford. Then the seat mods, the windshield, peg adjustments as needed (highway pegs are nice), grip heaters, electric vest, etc if needed, etc. Somewhere in there is protecting your investment, so sliders for sure, which should be factory standard. When that's all done, you'll be looking at a lot of other FJRs for ideas. It just keeps going.
I have seen very little on highway pegs so far. Do you have a source for them?

I have an '05 and for comfort added:

Rick Mayer seat

Cee Bailey +4/+3 windscreen

Highway pegs (I like to change my leg position on longer rides)

Heavy bar ends combined with throttle lock

Clamp-on thing to allow my palm to press on the throttle

Heat shield under the tank

I tried out bar risers (moved them up about 1cm and back about 2cm) but ended up preferring the more forward, stock riding position.

For other reasons I added:

Power Commander with smoothness map

Frame sliders

Stiffer front springs and Penske 8987 rear shock (these made a hell of a difference in how the bike rides and handles)

Galfer rotors and brake pads

Stainless brake lines

Tank cover that allows a big tank bag to be attached

Rear trunk from Yamaha

Alan

I would add extra lighting, for visibility... loud horns so someone might hear you otherwise you know the drill boot out and kick!

seat, I find the seat is fine for 14 hour rides, it actually keeps you moving around and thus keeps you alert, maybe a better windshield...

intercom and music pricless for long rides......

heated gear add ons for later in the riding season....

maybe a top case, to make you more nimble in traffic.....

Well this is what I did to mine. The sky is the limit.

Farkles Included:

Philip HID

Moto Lights

Hyper Lights w/ remote

Stebel Magnum Blaster horns

Grip puppies

Super Brace

Hyperpro front and rear springs

J&M CB/intercom/audio controller

Garmin 2820 navigation

XM radio

Nolan X-Lite and Arai Profile helmets equiped with J&M headsets

Passport 8500 radar detector

Blinder M/40 radar laser jammer

FJR dash/shelf

Garauld custom luggage rack/antenna mount

Corbin heated saddles including Smuggler

Datel volt meter

Illuminated marine switches

BlueSeas distribution block

Predator 10K CB antenna ( Wilson Silverload for local travel)

Geelong carbon fiber tank cover

Photos https://profile.imageshack.us/user/qmotion/

I've since installed:

Rifle windshield

Remus Hexacone exhaust

Pazzo short brake lever

Saeng convex mirrors

Wild Bill mounts with Kuryakun Stiletto foot pegs

I still have a Zumo 550, Scorpio alarm and a RM Cb amplifier to be installed yet.

Radiator Guard

Steel braided brake lines

fork brace

FZ1 mirrors

Smart tire pressure monitoring system

Garmin 2610 w/ram mounts

Throttlemeister throttle lock

Vista cruise throttle lock

Palm rest throttle control

Modulating headlight

Turn signal auto control

Heated grips

Foam cushion grips

Heli risers

Master Blaster horns

Wild Bills hiway pegs

Scorpio alarm

Givi V46 trunk

Piggy backer trailer w/hitch

Pelican box on license plate

Did I forget anything...probably :unsure:

Rog

I bolted the license plate on to the pelican case then bolted the case on to the bike. Extra room for stuff. Water proof, lockable, and best of all un-noticable.
Cool idea! I love my Pelican cases but hadn't thought of this application! I'm gonna look into it!

How did you not compremise the seal of the case with the bolts?

See all thier cool cases at https://www.pelican.com

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRguy,

For the Pelican case, I just used a clear silicone caulk (like you would use for sealing aquariums). I put all my paperwork in there, extra sunscreen, sunglasses, ear plugs, tools, etc... I have a small combination lock on it, so if I loose my keys I can still get in to it. What is really great is that no body notices it there!

Rog

Hello Guys

I like all the suggestions you gave. I did not know there was no drop protection included on the FJR, I read about sliders, but does that protect the trunk area or engine area ? Do they have anything else like the wings you see on the bmw rt or honda st ? Do the sliders help out alot, it looks like the size of the fist. Does this really protect the bike ?