Newbie Group Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Hey all,

Before I go ride with you all, I wanted to ask if there are any rules of the road, guidelines, or standards I should be aware of as a solo rider that will be joining you all on group rides. Some questions that pop into my head are listed below...please let me know if I missed key issues.

1) What is the standard way of handling a group that get separated due to a traffic light?

2) Is there a sign language to learn (Foot off peg means debris on road...etc)

3) Is is ever acceptable to ride side by side? Do you pass each other in the same lane, or follow the uwritten lane sharing rules (CA style). If out of state, do you share lanes with each other to ride/pass?

4) Do you stop side by side at traffic lights/stops etc? Who goes in front from that position?

5) Who sets speed, what is the pace generally like. Seems to me that these rides would be slower than riding with just one bike to worry about because everyone has tolerances of speed etc that they want to stick to. How do you determine the max speeding amounts, cornering speed etc.?

I am not really trying to be overly anal. I think all these things would probably just work out by themselves...but I also thought it might be nice to ask before I join you all for a ride.

Andrew

https://www.fjrowners.ws/pace.html

And another primer for ya. This is the style we Norcal guys ride on our group rides.

No squidlessness is acceptable ( but you knew that ).

1) When we get separated by a light or the group get split up into different " packs ", the last guy in the front pack is " supposed " to wait for the remainder to catch up so that they won't miss a turn. ( sometimes it gets lost in the adrenaline rush )

2) Signs are pretty universal as per TWN link., but tapping to top of the helmet means LEO in the area.

3) No side by side, that's a cruiser thing. Not much passing goes on between stops. Every local FJR rider has plenty experience in the twisties and knows his shit, so the group flows pretty well on every ride.

4) First guy to the light is the first one that takes off. Common courtesy.

5) Ride organizer sets the pace, unless we ask a local ( like skibum did last time ! ) to take the lead on his local road expertise. Pretty much it's a spirited pace, but it's not kneedragging pace. Ride organizer has to make the decision on who's there and their abilities. New to the bike riders and some folks that like to ride a little slower pace usually leave the gas stop last, it all works out.

In the twenty plus GR's we've had I think we only have been split up and lost folks once. B)

Smart move asking the question ! In the past I was extremely hesitant on group riding, seen to many mixed bike , mixed experience rides that were pretty scary. But the FJR rides are all the same bike, performance, with talented Cali riders, so if any of you guys ( gals ) have beenig shying away from GR, come out and join the fun! B)

Signs are pretty universal as per TWN link., but tapping to top of the helmet means LEO in the area.
Great post, Dave.

Seems this and a common hand signals post should be pinned on top of one of our more universal (not Cali Ride organization) sub-pages. Seems that the deer (aka "forest rat") sign discussion from the other board would fit the same category of common signals -- open left hand with thumb to helmet to signify antlers. If I recall, someone over there said someone on a Harley flipped him off for using that one time. LOL

The part from your post that I quoted was what I was going to ask about -- I've seen this from a couple riders coming the other direction (actually, knocking on top of helmet with knuckles), and it turns out I correctly interpreted it, probably from the general body language I picked up, and the subsequent visual evidence. You usually see a cage driver giving you the palms down "go slow" signal if they're trying to warn you of the same thing. That's what I had been using to indicate LEOs to other riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
the previous posts have done a great job laying out the "rules" and I have nothing to add. FWIW, here's my reaction to group rides over the past couple of years. Prior to that, I had done no group riding and I was a bit reluctant to participate in group rides in part because most statistics indicate that group riding increases the level of risk to all involved above that of solo riding. The FJR seems to have attracted riders who take their safety, and that of others, pretty seriously. As a result, the group rides in which I have participated generally have been conduted in an atmosphere of consciousness and consideration. This is not to say that a spirit of high spiritedness does not prevail. The FJR is not, after all, a land yacht. Sometimes some part of a group will push the envelope technique-wise. However, there is little pressure for anyone to "keep up" and out ride their abilities and/or comfort zone. As in skiing, a good M.O. is to find someone who's technique is just a tad bit more advanced, drop in behind them and learn baby learn. Again, as in recreational skiing, the only "competition" is between a person and him/her self.

And of course, there are variations within every group. I, for instance, will point at road debris with my foot, especially in corners. But its not meant to be rocket science, lest learning all the techniques of perfect signalling detract from the ride itself. The group that is discussing this are a pretty great group of people. I agree with what all have said, come out and join one of the informal gatherings. Nobody will have undue expectations, we're just a bunch of folks who enjoy riding and enjoy one another.

I suggest you go to fjr owners.com, click on the 'Murican flag, and when the opening page unfolds, under the picture of the bikes, lower left, in red letters "Touring Tales, under that in blue letters, "THE PACE". Click and read, lots of good information.

The most important ting to remember is ride your own ride . There'll always be those with better technique or more experience and those with less; those who ride faster and those who ride a little slower. Even the slowest isn't more than a few minutes behind at the next stop. There are some excellent riders with competition experience that are smooth as glass. They don't brag or carry on, they just exhibit their talent by how smoothly they ride. (When I grow up I wanna be just like Highlander. Always picking the best line and riding smooth as silk. )

Its all about the people and the scenery--and we get to enjoy in on our FJRs! So come on down.....

Yes that Highlander is amazing - and his pillion too. It is like watching ballroom dancing.

I would just add that in groups we ride in "stagger" formation (unless we are in the twisties) which compresses us a little for traffic reasons but gives everyone adequate safety margin. If I recall the general rule, you follow two seconds behind the bike in the same lane position directly in front of you.

Yeah, you have to admire the Highlanders. He's riding the twisties and she's riding pillion taking pictures. And they're great people, too.

I feel really great that, over the past several years and on a good day, my technique has improved to the point where I can almost keep pace with Dave and Diane. Of course, that's with me solo and them rding two-up (and probably "dogging it" - but I like to delude myself)!!! Much of that improvement came at WFO2 where I ended up following Highlander (used in the Plural) through the hills north and west of Santa Rosa.

Wow...you all rock and I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for all the feedback, input and for making me feel welcome before I even meet you all!

O'vale, you've got to check this posting area regularly. Prolly not much is going to happen until after WFO-4. We'll do something toward the end of August, then Sept. 10th is the the Yosemite weekend. That would be a great place to meet some of the riders from all over CA.

Hmmmmm...Rick and Bluestreek did a Sausalito run....maybe we can do a Wine Country Aug. ride....I'll question the group while we are at WFO. Some of the Napa/Santa Rosa guys would be aware of events we need to miss (winetasters are dangerous to be around). If Rick-in-Sac (and Karen, aka: The Denmother) don't make it to WFO, they might be around.

Mike,

I will check this place often. I just posted my first ride report of me and my buddy taking our first ride together on our new FJRs with wives. Fun weekend!

Andrew

Hello Ill chime in here for the first time. Im looking forward to some group rides as well. I have 150 miles on my new FJ and come from 20 years of off road racing, yet VERY LITTLE road experience. Im not used to a bike that doesnt slide through a turn ;) I feel right at home on the bike and look forward to following some smooth pilots on the same rigs while taking notes.

This thread rocks, good info.

Cisco

Welcome to the group and to this forum.

Keep checking here, we have rides all the time.

A lot of us will be heading north for the WFO in a couple of weeks so it might be kind of quiet till we get back. You would be welcome to join us if you like.

The group I am going with will be leaving on the 2nd and will be returning about a week later. There are other group leaving on different days.

Clicky WFO- 4 :cownoy:

A lot of us will be heading north for the WFO in a couple of weeks so it might be kind of quiet till we get back.
And some of us will be heading south to go see System of a Down in San Diego on Aug 6th and Disturbed back here in Fresno on the 7th! It definitely won't be kind of quiet around my ears. :punk: :punk: :punk:

CiscoWelcome to the group and to this forum.

Keep checking here, we have rides all the time.

A lot of us will be heading north for the WFO in a couple of weeks so it might be kind of quiet till we  get back. You would be welcome to join us if you like.

The group I am going with will be leaving on the 2nd and will be returning about a week later. There are other group leaving on different days.

Clicky WFO- 4 :cownoy:
MCML and Blue streak, thank you! The WFO sounds interesting, however I will be in Hawaii in early August....oh darn.

I will check back in around mid August.