Newest (to me) FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeCG

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an official 2018 owner now after totaling my 2007. What a difference with the transmission and balance... A few questions please:
1. front tire is recommended 36 psi, why did it drop and does anyone do that?
2. the matte blue is cool, but I miss the sparkle. is there anything I need to do to care for the finish? I bought Chemical Guys matte finish, is there something better or different I should do.
3. either the windscreen is terrible, or my helmet makes a lot of noise... it's the windscreen isn't it?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
They've always shown 36 psi as far as I know. In wet conditions it possibly gives a larger footprint on the road.
Generally and in traffic and slow riding I definitely prefer 42psi front/back.
My (Canadian) 2011 Gen II calls for 39 psi Front and 42 psi Rear.
Cold inflation pressure irrespective of load or speed.

1716814724197.png

Thanks. I'll bump up my pressures. I run a car tire on the rear at 40 PSI. Will crank that up a bit more.
A car tire is different. I think most people are running lower pressures although each seems to have a sweet spot. You should look at the Darkside thread(s).

A car tire is different. I think most people are running lower pressures although each seems to have a sweet spot. You should look at the Darkside thread(s).
I've already gone through the dark side threads. Most seem to think higher than 40 PSI. My front Michelin Sport seems to wear badly at 36 PSI so I'm going to replace it soon and try at 40 PSI.

Thanks for the tip.

I've got over 30K commuting miles on GMax (installed 9 years ago... _lots_ of tread left). I'm around running around 30 psi on rear tire (maybe a little lower)

30psi on my rear CT and 38psi on my front b46 rear tire is my sweet spot..20,000 miles on the rear, 10,000 on the front(rear)

1) No reason that I know of. I would stick to 40 to 42 in front.
2) There was a huge amount of discussion on that when it was first released.
See:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/2018-fjr-details-released.173056/
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/2018-matte.179585/
https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/05/matte-paint-finish-myths
3) Both can be improved. Earplugs will help save your hearing.
thanks, I didn't think to search for 2028 threads. I'm learning more than I thought I could about matte finishes. Do you (or anyone) have thoughts on Chemical Guys 2 in 1 or do you prefer the multi step process?

I can tell you my new Schuberth C5 helmet is much more quiet than my Shoei NeoTech2

thanks, I didn't think to search for 2028 threads. I'm learning more than I thought I could about matte finishes. Do you (or anyone) have thoughts on Chemical Guys 2 in 1 or do you prefer the multi step process?
2018 threads...
I don't have any opinions other than what I have read. Your finish is already 6 years old and I doubt any reasonable product is going to make a huge difference. There may be some to avoid - that is what I would focus on (the things people say NOT to use).

2018 threads...
I don't have any opinions other than what I have read. Your finish is already 6 years old and I doubt any reasonable product is going to make a huge difference. There may be some to avoid - that is what I would focus on (the things people say NOT to use).
really good point. Thanks!

I can tell you my new Schuberth C5 helmet is much more quiet than my Shoei NeoTech2
hell yeah, i switched my neotech also for a c5, only thing is that you have to close it , and it is only closed when the little plastic thing passed the black thing at the side ( on forums they explain it better, some vaseline made it smoother and now the noise is gone

hell yeah, i switched my neotech also for a c5, only thing is that you have to close it , and it is only closed when the little plastic thing passed the black thing at the side ( on forums they explain it better, some vaseline made it smoother and now the noise is gone
I read a lot of negative feedback for the C5, specifically about closing the face shield. I have zero problems with closing the full front or the face shield. The C5 is much easier to close the full front than my Neotech. Compared side by side, I'll buy another C5 in 5 years.

I've already gone through the dark side threads. Most seem to think higher than 40 PSI. My front Michelin Sport seems to wear badly at 36 PSI so I'm going to replace it soon and try at 40 PSI.

Thanks for the tip.

Huh? I don't think I have ever seen anyone recommend 40psi for a car tire on an FJR. Most recommend 30 psi or so.

I've run about 8 or so car tires on my FJR now for over 200k miles. I tend to run a little higher at 35 psi in general, but when I do that the center of the tire wears out quicker than any other part. On one of those car tires, I found that the higher 35 psi helped with the initial turn in effort.

I always recommend folks experiment between 30-35 psi or so. Which pressure is ideal will depend on personal preference and make/model of car tire.