NO FJRs. The Plan B Dual sport ride weekend with Bugnatr.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberKul

Tire Assassin
Reaction score
I posted this to the DR650 Forum but since I was with Doug (Bugnatr) I figured it might qualify as a worthy report in this forum as well. Plus I could actually cut-paste it from the other forum!
punk.gif

Pretty little pond on the way to Grass Valley, CA for a Plan B weekend with buddies.
20131108-P1000661-L.jpg

Moto spelunking at Yankee Jims bridge.
20131108-P1000668-L.jpg

My riding buddies for Saturday, weekend host Doug on the KLR and Eric on the DRz.
20131109-P1000672-L.jpg

This is what your truck looks like when you take it down this trail.
20131109-P1000675-L.jpg

The mandated bridge break.
20131109-P1000676-L.jpg

Turns out I was the only one in the group how hadn’t made their mark… fixed.
20131109-P1000677-L.jpg

The loose rocky climb out… double dab.
20131109-P1000681-L.jpg

Downieville heard we were coming.
20131109-P1000689-L.jpg

Not the view you’ll see in this lifetime.
20131109-P1000692-L.jpg

The road up to the Sierra Buttes just outside of Sierra City is rocky blast of goodness with a little exposure thrown in to keep you frosty.
20131109-P1000694-L.jpg

Doesn’t everyone find a perfectly good lounge chair in the snow with a view. We had to share because some inconsiderate person only left one.
Doug.
20131109-P1000708-L.jpg

Me.
20131109-P1000710-L.jpg

This view gets an Uber thumbs up.
20131109-P1000712-L.jpg

You can only go so far before having to walk due to a gate. Continuing on didn’t even cross our minds… on foot.
20131109-P1000718-L.jpg

The ride down brings you to this tasty little view with a hard ninety right. I guess you could go straight and call it a day?
20131109-P1000720-L.jpg

Did I mention there were a few water bars on the way up this hill?

Coming out a different way is always more fun.
20131109-P1000721-L.jpg

We came down to where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses this road and all of a sudden Doug feels his seat drop and big bog. The KLR did not like the water bar jumping as much as the DR. The subframe had broken mounting bolts and drooped enough to disconnect the air cleaner. The frame was locked in well enough to get home so we just spliced a piece of inner tube I keep my tire irons in to bridge the gap and make the bike run decent.
20131109-P1000722-L.jpg

20131109-P1000723-L.jpg

Limping home we still stopped to enjoy this pretty waterfall, and crazy-super-awesome DR650!
20131109-P1000728-L.jpg

Beer, steak, Patron, beer, Jacuzzi with beer and finally Patron Patroon Patroonn make the aches and pains go away. Luckily Doug has a spare parts bike and isn’t too worried his KLR has a broken back. Besides, he planned on riding the KTM the next day anyway!

Now you wouldn’t think a KTM 990 Supermoto could coexist with a loaded DR but given the right conditions they make a pretty compatible pair. The trick is don’t get on any roads with a straightaway, ever.
20131110-P1000730-L.jpg

20131110-P1000734-L.jpg

Dammit, I packed some stretchy rope for nothing? This is on the bridge over the Rubicon River.
20131110-P1000735-L.jpg

I did get up on the far curb to get a shot of the bikes and down the canyon. Here Doug is saying it’s been good knowing you, he’s not a fan of heights. That’s a good parting shot as well because the last few hours of an incredible weekend were spent in a blur of twisty roads and helmet giggles. The cherry on top was a shot south Hwy 193 without a single car to screw up our wickedness.
20131110-P1000736-L.jpg

The gallery slideshow with a few more photos can be found here.
https://www.eblinkphoto.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=33377237&AlbumKey=wfRRf3

Doug's the host the most! Thanks for a great weekend.

Looks like you boys had some good old dirty fun and then some! Great riding areas up that and I've been privvy to the Bugnatr's hospitality as well upon occasion... I've threatened to move in! ;) :lol:

Thanks for sharing, Brad! B)

I don't remember any Patron
whistle.gif

Great pictures and report Brad. It was all fun and games until I tried to keep up with you
uhoh.gif

The KLR has been in surgery today and it has been going well. With the donor patient close by I think the green toad will live.

IMG_2079_zpsa0411a6e.jpg

Tell Doug he needs this (CLICKY) for his KLR. Eagle Mike makes good stuff...

It'll just keep breakin on him if he keeps riding like that with the stock subframe hardware.

I miss my KLR
bwv, me too! Below is my 2006 KLR parked at the first bridge of Rio Urique on the way to Batopilas in Mexico's Copper Canyon. Standing next to her is AZ Beemers Club Member Martin Osete of Hermosillo, Mexico. "Mi Mexico Mule II" made many rides into Barrancas del Cobre, Chihuahua con Papa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. Now I miss my KLR ..... AND I am extremely jealous !!!!

Great pics and Report... this is a pretty great way of life we share :)

Well.. Now I miss my KLR ..... AND I am extremely jealous !!!!
Great pics and Report... this is a pretty great way of life we share
smile.png
+1, Gunny; off roading is a great way of life, Dos Putos: Thanks for inviting tus Papa Chuy Viejo along on this dirt ride ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a cool ride report. Looks like you guys had a blast. Unlike Don, now I Remember why I hated my KLR. What a rolling piece of crap that thing was. I was just to stupid to know it.

Either HRZ is kiddin', defines "peice of crap" differently than I do, or i beg to differ ;)

snow.jpg

(Two $4000 KLRs and a KTM 450EXC-r during a day of winter fun in upstate ny... the one on the right is me)

I paid $4653 "out the door" brand new, zero miles, for my KLR, and it did everything it was advertised to do and way more... very reliably... for six years.

I overloaded it, I offroaded it, I wheelied it every time i went from stop to go, I did donuts, small jumps, mud, powerline trails up the back of mountains.

I spent like 300 or 400 on farkles (Pipe, needle, pegs, heated grips, side boxes, windshield, voltmeters) etc... it never left me stuck somewhere, I never had to do anything to it to keep it useable (never needed a clutch soak). and.. I traded it in on the feej 6 years later..dirty, with bald tires, worn brakes, and (what they said..i disagreed) a shot chain, for $2500

Lookin at UberKul and Bugnatrs pics... it's amazing that all they broke was two 50cent bolts... that just isnt $4500 "dual purpose" bike territiory without some durability farkles.

I never broke anything (not even the subframe bolts)on mine... well.. the license plate cracked from the shitty bracket... but i fixed that with a piece of 3/16 alumin plate for a backer.

I will agree that it was only good for hour or two slab rides without inducing excruciating pain, numbness, and fear of tractor trailers... But that wasnt what it was sold for.

It''s nowhere near FJR qualtiy, beauty, or rideability... but that was a fine bike for what i spent, and the purpose i wanted it for.