No low beams

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to think that I need to pull my ignition switch out again and check the resistance accross the legs. I'm still getting code 12 intermintantly, but in the diagnostic screen it will show a stored code in number D:62, however D:61 that is supposed to display the stored code shows 0, I think I am suffering a voltage drop at the ignition switch. When I check the battery with no load on it it now says 13.2, when I turn the key on and don't start it it will drop to around 12.7 ... BUT if I turn the key on and enter the diagnostic mode and go to D:09 (which is the fuel system voltage) it only shows 11.3. The FSM says it should be "around 12" . So I think it might just be an indiscriminate code its throwing at me to show there is a problem, and that there is no real problem with the crank position sensor (code 12) at any rate I'm losing some juice somewhere so I gotta find it.

Since Ionbeam pointed out in my other post about repairing the ignition switch, that most of the voltage goes through the ignition switch then the relays, and fuses, it leads me to believe that would be a likely place to check for some voltage drop. All I did was resolder the brown wire to the switch plate, and I never tested the resistance across the switch afterwards. So ill pull that apart in a few days to check it out. My first problem with my FJR may still be my only problem, its just showing the symptoms in different ways.

I'm curious if some one would go to their diagnostic screen, go to D:09 and flip the kill switch to run position and tell me what you get for your fuel system voltage reading?.book says it should be 12, mine isn't and not real close to it IMO so if love to know what a few others are getting for a reading

I bought a new set of lamps yesterday right after my last post. Standard wattage at autozone. They are the Silverstar Ultra. 4100K bulbs. 55/65 Watts. Very white light, much better than the PIAA bulbs! The low beams are extra wide over the standard bulbs, and I gotta tell ya, the high beam turns night into day. I was very surprised by them. I can see a mile with them from the woods to the left of the left lane all the way to the right woods. I think I'm gonna scratch plans for auxiliary lights after trying these. I paid about 50 bucks for a set of two. You can probably find them cheaper, but I wanted to just get them done and autozone was close to work. Saw a deer standing on the edge of the woods last night on the way home, that I know I wouldn't have seen before, felt good about that, as besides drunk drivers, deer are my number 1 concern on my late night/early morning rides home from work. Pot holes worry me a bit too but, I pretty much know where they all are, and when to be in which lane, but I can definately are the road in front of me better now.
These are silverstar ULTRA a step up from the silver star lamps. They are in a brownish orange package. Couldn't find a part number on the package. But I would say they are WELL worth the 50 bucks, and even better if you can find them cheaper.

Good luck with those. I went thru about 8 of those in less than a year...they would blow the low beams every 2 months. I put some of these in >>CLICK months ago, and so far, no problem.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Guess I owe you a good job Southern Cruiser. Just the bulbs! You nailed it. Thanks

Hmmm..better hold that good job thingie for a bit...just realized that you bought the ULTRAS...I think the ones that kept going out on me were the regular Silver Stars...I musta had a brain fart for not catching that the 1st time around...maybe the ultras will do better. Later!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

I'm curious if some one would go to their diagnostic screen, go to D:09 and flip the kill switch to run position and tell me what you get for your fuel system voltage reading?.book says it should be 12, mine isn't and not real close to it IMO so if love to know what a few others are getting for a reading

Still waiting for an answer to this part, anyone care to check it for me?!?....

Still waiting for an answer to this part, anyone care to check it for me?!?....
Uhhhhh.........might want to start a fuel injection thread? I am having to really stretch to see how this relates to lowbeams.

And as for you radman.............

:fuck:

Guess I owe you a good job Southern Cruiser. Just the bulbs! You nailed it. Thanks

Hmmm..better hold that good job thingie for a bit...just realized that you bought the ULTRAS...I think the ones that kept going out on me were the regular Silver Stars...I musta had a brain fart for not catching that the 1st time around...maybe the ultras will do better. Later!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
I've been running these Ultra bulbs since early spring and probably 4K miles to-date without problem. I like 'em, but think I only paid something like $30-$35 when they were on sale.

Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.

Fuel injection, low beams, ignition switch, either way I have a voltage issue. And I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the ignition switch again and re-solder all the wires this time.

It relates because I think the voltage issue is what blew the bulbs on me.

Anyone want to check the

D-09 for me?

Please..............