No-Mar Tire Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure...show pictures of your trash can equipment, but nothing of the fancy tool bought from a store.
biggrin.png
Okay, you've guilted me into providing a picture. ;)

I only have 1 tool, but am showing 6 to stave off any more whining. LOL :)

tiretools.JPG

The michelins are the easiest I've done on my nomar. Continentals were by far the hardest. When I was starting out, I really struggled with the last little bit of the rear. I was using the lube in the right spots, but I found the tire would rotate no matter how tight. I used a bar inside the spokes (wrapped in lots of rags of course) to stop it rotating. But things got easier when I really paid attention to the bead placement. Both top and bottom beads must be tucked into the right spots all around. I also have both the yellow and grey tools above. Those are a must. Once I got the technique down, even the Conti's were easy.

The michelins are the easiest I've done on my nomar. Continentals were by far the hardest. When I was starting out, I really struggled with the last little bit of the rear. I was using the lube in the right spots, but I found the tire would rotate no matter how tight. I used a bar inside the spokes (wrapped in lots of rags of course) to stop it rotating. But things got easier when I really paid attention to the bead placement. Both top and bottom beads must be tucked into the right spots all around. I also have both the yellow and grey tools above. Those are a must. Once I got the technique down, even the Conti's were easy.
Yep, I'm beginning to believe it will take practice. Did the front tire this weekend (a Metzeler), and it challenged me... Got it on, but it was stubborn.

I just changed my rear tire with the Mojolever, despite the seller saying "be careful with car tires" ... The PR3 came off, and the General Tires G-Max went on in about 15 minutes total.

I do like the look of the No-Mar lever, and the YouTube videos make it look easy. It's probably all about technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add to the thread some details about my rear RoadSmart install. I feel I might as well have been wrestling a lion. (Rasslin?)

I don't have a No-Mar Changer, but I have a No-scufftiretool https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/ (similar to Mojolever) as well as some tire irons.

I made a tire changing stand out of an old car wheel (forget size) and a stub of large threaded rod.

I found three of these clamps helpful https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-heavy-duty-f-style-welding-clamp-65683.html (similar purpose to the plastic work clamps mentioned earlier, but metal construction).

image_16464.jpg

I used lube (both squirt on and greasy) and worked in the hot sun for most of an afternoon. But clamps were required to keep both beads together and in the wheel valley so as to get the final upper bead over the rim lip. This was my first motorcycle tire change and it was a real learning experience. Next time I will know more about what needs to happen.

I believe one or more YellowThings would make a big difference, but at $36 each the cost isn't trivial to me. They are on my To-Buy list.

Tools make a big difference, but it is all about Technique, Technique, Technique.

Andy

I believe one or more YellowThings would make a big difference, but at $36 each the cost isn't trivial to me. They are on my To-Buy list.

Tools make a big difference, but it is all about Technique, Technique, Technique.

Andy
No-Mar sell the Yellow Thing on eBay for $18, free shipping.

+1 - I've been wanting to pick up some yellow things. :thumbsup:

That didn't sound quite the way I intended it. :unsure:

I got the HF tire changer and ordered Mojo blocks. Next item is the NoMar mounting bar. I'm just about there. I did see the yellow things for $18 on Ebay, but thought I might get by with bar clamps. The HF was on sale at $39 each for the lower and upper parts, and I just made 2-trips with a 25% coupon on Easter Sunday. So I got a $60 tire changer stand. It's a POS without modifications, but I get to retain my membership in the cheap bastard's club. The NoMar will be by far the most expensive component.

I need to get some 7/16 floor anchors and bolts for the tire machine. I'm not so sure I want to use a slab of plywood.

I got the HF tire changer and ordered Mojo blocks. Next item is the NoMar mounting bar. I'm just about there. I did see the yellow things for $18 on Ebay, but thought I might get by with bar clamps. The HF was on sale at $39 each for the lower and upper parts, and I just made 2-trips with a 25% coupon on Easter Sunday. So I got a $60 tire changer stand. It's a POS without modifications, but I get to retain my membership in the cheap bastard's club. The NoMar will be by far the most expensive component.
I need to get some 7/16 floor anchors and bolts for the tire machine. I'm not so sure I want to use a slab of plywood.
What NoMar Tom? Do you mean a Mojolever? If not, that is what you need. I am the cheapest of cheap bastards. I got everything but the Mojolever for free! I am all about paying it forward, though. Willing to change a tire for anyone. I will usually have a 1-off available for a vagabond too.

I have the Mojolever, and it whipped my tires off and on in no time. I have the mojoblocks too. Good luck finding 7/16th" anchors, my Home Depot had none, and none listed. 3/8th" work fine.

Get the Yellow Thing. It makes tire fitting simple. I only needed one.

I was considering the NoMar Tire Mounting Bar. It's on sale at $125 with lube, handle and extra tips. that's about $15 higher than the Mojo, and I was using one with a friend to mount the last PR4 a couple weeks ago. It seemed like a good tool.

I have gone through one or two sets of tires every year, and this outfit should pay-off in just a couple years. Besides, I'd rather drink a beer than shop the dealer while I wait for the tire, or have to make multiple trips. I have had tires mounted by FJRay and a friend from ADVrider nearby, and it seems like time to step up and have my own changer. However, I'd love to come visit, drink your beer and help you change my tire.
punk.gif
Yinz guys rock!

That's like "yous" (you ones...yinz) Yous guys rock.

I'm not sure how they say it in Chicago, but I'm pretty sure now days, you might be saying Ya'll rock!

I have Cycle Hill (Nor Mar locost unit) Came with mounting and demounting bars plus two spoons and several locator bars for different wheel axle size. One yellow thing and one extra hand. Of course the juice to apply for removal and mounting. A few stick on weights etc. plus the stand. First of all when I first received the unit and was having difficulty No Mar was great at responding to my enquiries and were very quick to try and help! Nearly all my problems were my lack of experience? Over the last few years and several tire changes on my bike as well as friends things have gotten a little easier. I just mounted front and back PR 4GT's by myself without any problem. I did warm the tires in the living room window with the sun streaming in as it was cool outside but nice inside? You need to apply enough goose grease to move things along but that was one of my first mistakes? I have since seen someone using soft jaw wood clamps to assist with getting the tire to conform to the drop center? I have two and they seem to be enough? Again I was by myself and with not a lot of trouble mounted the front and rear tires on my FJR with very little effort? I paid about 500 for the original purchase but have saved hundreds since! Recently I saw a rear PR 4GT at a dealer here in Canada $357.00 plus mounting! I bought front and rear GT 4's from an online seller for $400 Cdn for front and rear tires combined?

I was considering the NoMar Tire Mounting Bar. It's on sale at $125 with lube, handle and extra tips. that's about $15 higher than the Mojo, and I was using one with a friend to mount the last PR4 a couple weeks ago. It seemed like a good tool.
I have gone through one or two sets of tires every year, and this outfit should pay-off in just a couple years. Besides, I'd rather drink a beer than shop the dealer while I wait for the tire, or have to make multiple trips. I have had tires mounted by FJRay and a friend from ADVrider nearby, and it seems like time to step up and have my own changer. However, I'd love to come visit, drink your beer and help you change my tire.
punk.gif
Yinz guys rock!
Tom I would go with the Mojo lever with the HF changer verses the NoMar lever. I have both and can count on one hand the times I've used the NoMar lever. Once you practice the technique, the Mojo is more forgiving than the NoMar, in that less tire needs to be deep in the valley. The two prongs of the NoMar work great to hold the bead, but those two prongs require more space.

--G

Well I still need to order the mojo blocks, so I guess based on this endorsement the Lever should be added. Thanks!