no riser's rider?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock bars forward, stock seat high. If I could lower my bars more and shove them another inch or two forward I think that would be even better. 6'3" (Oh, yeah, got a ~2" lift kit also). Put 44,000 miles on it from 07-10, and we have only 6 month riding season.

I have an '08 with the stock bars put in the forward position. Not only do I NOT want risers, but would prefer them a little lower, except there is no way to do that. I am 5'-11" and 180 lbs.

I have an '07 and use the stock handlebars and seat. I have done lots of 7-9 hundred mile days, and rode straight home from Tennessee a couple years ago. 1410 miles in one shot.

When I transitioned from my VTX to my FJR, I was a little sore the first few times, but like most things, I adjusted quickly and gained new muscle memory.

LOTS of people on this board are way too sensitive to let their body adjust to anything, so they freak out when their first ride feels even slightly different from what they rode before...If they even rode.

Then we have the group that will find anything there is to complain about and complain. If I had never come to this site, I would think I have the perfect bike; however, after hanging out a few years, I have realized the problems lurking.

Let's see: The seat sucks, the windshield sucks, the bars suck, the kickstand sucks, the headlights suck, the shocks suck, the vibes suck, the alternator sucks, the battery placement sucks, the clutch sucks, the 5 speed transmission sucks, the low power output sucks, the mirrors suck, the brakes suck, the heat sucks, the weight sucks, the horns suck, the blinkers suck, the ignition switch sucks, the electrical system sucks, the cam chain tensioner sucks, and if you listen to a rogue contingency that plagues this board, the motorcycle tire on the rear sucks.

Did I forget anything? Ride your bike the way you want it, and don't fall for the "Oh, now I need one of these" crowd.
LOL :p

You forgot "top-heavy at low speeds" and "GEN II's just suck - period" Ooops - you said weight so I guess that covers one of my items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock risers and seat on my 2010. I sometimes think about getting some but really can't come up with a good reason to. Did a 5,000 trip this summer with no problems.

Gary

I've had the risers on and off a few times. I haven't found it to be more comfortable one way over another, just different. I find that coming from cruisers though, I'm a happier when I'm a little more upright.

I'm seeing a pattern where those of us that are in the neighborhood of 5'11"ish and 185ish lbs feel Very Comfortable with the Stock Handle Bars. Interesting! :D

Yamaha must have been thinking of US when they calculated for a Perfect Fit! I Love It! :p

I'm 5'8" and perfectly happy with the stock set up. So... there's a range there ;)

IMHO, it's how you ride, whether you have "a sport bike position" or "a cruiser position". It took me quite a while to understand what the sport bike position was. but once you learn it, ya never go back ;)

Only had my 07 a couple of months, stock seat in the high position and stock bars are fine. I'm 6'2" and 205# and came off of sportier bikes so the stock setup feels very upright to me already. 512 miles last Sunday with no issues at all.

I'm 5'8" and perfectly happy with the stock set up. So... there's a range there ;)

IMHO, it's how you ride, whether you have "a sport bike position" or "a cruiser position". It took me quite a while to understand what the sport bike position was. but once you learn it, ya never go back ;)

Oh well said, well said.

I know that comfort is subjective and I see alot of riser info, but am I the only one that finds the stock set up ( 05, Gen I, no riser's) better than with riser's (Heli offset). I'm just your average 6'1", 190lb rider, I've tried it several times and end up back stock. With the riser's my seat starts hurting alot faster and I also feel like it does't handle quiet as good. Surely someone else likes the FJR1300 stock?

I also tried risers and took them back off (same height as you, 20 lbs fatter).

But, heck, it makes zero sense that a stock bike would fit everyone, so you gotta play and find what works for your body. I've always felt that kind of tinkering was part of the fun.

When I bought my 2006, it already had a Tour Performance® HeliBars® Replacement Triple Clamp installed so I just got used to riding with that handlebar position.

A year later, I added a Russell Day-Long saddle which is a bit higher than the OEM seat (with a 30" inseam, I always have the seat in the lowest position) so the current ergonomics is probably close to that with the stock handlebar position and seat.

It's worthwhile to always spend a minimum of 6 months riding a bike before making changes to handlebars and/or seats.

Am 5'8" and love the stock handlebar setup with the low seat. But my last bike was a VFR so take it for what it's worth...

5'11" 175 with an 05 - only takes about 15 minutes to swap them on or off. If I'm going on an all day mostly highway touring ride with cruisers, the Heli risers seem appropriate. If I'm spending the day with the sport bikes in the twisties, I prefer the stock setup.

I wouldn't call the risers necessary - just a nice to have accessory to shift my riding position for a predominantly highway day.

I rode stock for about 1000 miles and decided I wanted the Heli upper... Was worth every penny IMHO but it's not for everyone, I'd recommend riding without it and see IF you need it before buying

I have an '08 with the stock bars put in the forward position. Not only do I NOT want risers, but would prefer them a little lower, except there is no way to do that. I am 5'-11" and 180 lbs.

Bro, you said a mouthful. I am 6'2" and I feel the same way you do; except I want the bars lowered and pushed forward another inch or two. I have had to really make adjustments to my riding and sitting style in order to control the bike the way I want...aggressively. Any body out there solve this problem without getting a sport bike?

Bro, you said a mouthful. I am 6'2" and I feel the same way you do; except I want the bars lowered and pushed forward another inch or two. I have had to really make adjustments to my riding and sitting style in order to control the bike the way I want...aggressively. Any body out there solve this problem without getting a sport bike?

I can't get past the "without getting a sport bike" part. I have two bikes, my other one is a Ninja ZX 14.

5'11", 165. Stock works for me. Need to stretch for a few minutes after the second gas stop around 500 miles but I think that is pretty normal. No problems with the seat. I kept waiting for the 'miserable seat feeling' to set in but it never has. Close to 11000 miles since June 2010. One front tire at 7400 miles, rear still has some to go. Bt-023 GT front has been great so far but the rain is just starting here in Seattle

Dennis

A point to consider is Gen I & Gen II are totally different in at least one regard.... The Gen I had no adjustment of the bars. I found the angle of the bars VERY uncomfortable.

With the MCL 6 degree risers I felt like I was riding a chopper but was no longer in pain from the angle. I got used to the height of the risers a lot easier than I would have the angle.

I have stock bars in the middle position, custom seat that sits lower than stock seat. 6'-2" 32 inseam, long torso.