Nor-Cal Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the waiting room at the free clinic...

Oct200936ride010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm putting ideas together to do a NorCal ride next spring.

If you can remember, please post your route from Mill Valley to Red Bluff. There are so many choices, I was wondering what you thought of the route you took.

The NorCal roads: 36, 3, 96, and 299 are pretty much self-explanitory.

Thanks

As soon as I figure out how to insert a Mapsource Map into this post?!?... Anyone?

If you can remember, please post your route from Mill Valley to Red Bluff. There are so many choices, I was wondering what you thought of the route you took.

Thanks

As soon as I figure out how to insert a Mapsource Map into this post?!?... Anyone?

Thanks
It's easier to email it as an attachment.

To post it here one has to save it to your computer (outside the Mapsource program) then move it to a hosting site and post it here as an image.

That's why those who plan rides post the Google Maps link and let folks use those waypoints to create their own mapsource route.

Map Attached: Santa Rosa to RedBluff

Thanks
It's easier to email it as an attachment.

To post it here one has to save it to your computer (outside the Mapsource program) then move it to a hosting site and post it here as an image.

That's why those who plan rides post the Google Maps link and let folks use those waypoints to create their own mapsource route.

Al, nice shots. Tell Lisa I really like the "whoosh factor" shown in the right hand sweeper (7th from the top). It really captures the speed and the sunset with virga is another keeper.

It was great to be back among the living after having been laid up since January. And what a ride. Weather was everything from fog to blue skies to rain -- warm to cold. Great roads! Great people!

I got home at just about dark on Sunday. Came into Sacramento via the river road from Woodland and over the I Street bridge Rode 900+ miles, and the only freeway was those unavoidable stretches of 101 in the far north.

Didn't get the camera out near enough, but here are a few pix.

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Map Attached:
Thank you very much. Your route contains a bit more slab on the 101 & 5 than others have suggested, but it seems more practical for time. I will keep this portion of the ride in mind for our trip next spring.

Riding on the 96 from Yreka to Willow Creek, are there any road restrictions due to time of year (winter snow, etc.)? If so, how soon in the year has anyone ridden this road?

Thank you very much,

Geo

Map Attached:
Thank you very much. Your route contains a bit more slab on the 101 & 5 than others have suggested, but it seems more practical for time. I will keep this portion of the ride in mind for our trip next spring.

Riding on the 96 from Yreka to Willow Creek, are there any road restrictions due to time of year (winter snow, etc.)? If so, how soon in the year has anyone ridden this road?

Thank you very much,

Geo
There are other routes that can be taken. For instance, one could ride West on on Hwy 116 through Guerneville then North to Stewarts Point/Skagg Springs to Hwy 101, go North to Hopland and ride East up Hopland Grade (Hwy 175), left on Hwy 29 to Hwy 20. Rather than heading North on I-5, continue to Colusa and take Hwy 45 North (a nice 2 lane road through the farm country) to Red Bluff.

As to weather, it might be better to wait until you are closer to making your firm plans and then we'd know exactly how severe any restrictions would be on 96-299-36, etc. It's difficult to predict snow or closures months before Winter actually sets in.

Thank you very much,

Geo

96 follows the Klamath River all the way, so there are no passes to deal with. But south of Yreka and either side of Willow Creek is mountainous country that can be treacherous in winter. And winter storms can beset even that country along the Klamath.