North Florida is cold - Sargent heated seat is installed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo621

Reaction score
Finally got the seat wiring installed on the FJR. It's really nice to have heat in the cold temps! (28 degrees) The wiring went really well as I didn't compromise my accessory harness in the process by making a 2nd circuit for the seat. If for some reason I blow a fuse on the seat circuit it won't take down the GPS, radar and iPod with it. The seat is switched so when the bike is shut down the seat can't drain the battery. The running light in the taillight controls the 2 relays and so far so good with the load. Soldering all the connections was the time consuming part but well worth it for reliability.

IT'S DONE!

Here's the schematic.

harness_ani.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So I get heated seats in car for comfort, and heated grips or a vest or gloves on a bike, but I don't get heated seats on a bike. At speed, your upper body and hands are taking the brunt of the cold, and keeping arms and hands and torso warm is critical. But what critical role does the ass play in riding such that it merits a heater? Unless of course you are adopting Daytona bike week style gear and motoring around in jorts.

Wouldn't you rather have the other bases covered? And if you did, it wouldn't leave a ton of watts left for the buttocks, after grips and jacket and lights are accounted for.

But nice work on the install. Perhaps I need to experience it before knocking it. Lord knows missus Hudson doesn't share my skepticism. I'm not allowed to buy a car for her without heated seats.

Hudson - I've never had heated components on a bike before and I've ridden without heat for years. I used to think the same way until I used my heated grips on the 2012 up in the mountains last fall. I had to turn them down after they got up to temp. Even in the rain as my gloves got soaked my hands never got cold. It was on that trip I decided to do the seat. If the heated grips could do the same for my hands then I'm doing the seat. The heat from the seat transfers to your core and legs. If you wear a good jacket that breaks the wind, you're as warm as toast. Good pants and it works the same way. The idea of a heated vest has crossed my mind but I'm fine with the current setup here in North Florida and… I'm not tethered to the bike with wires. My music set up is wireless and I can get on and off the bike without having to disconnect anything. I'd forget about the vest and tear everything apart the first time I rode ; )!

I'd find a bike with a heated seat on it and give it a try.

Joe

Finally got the seat wiring installed on the FJR. It's really nice to have heat in the cold temps! (28 degrees) The wiring went really well as I didn't compromise my accessory harness in the process by making a 2nd circuit for the seat. If for some reason I blow a fuse on the seat circuit it won't take down the GPS, radar and iPod with it. The seat is switched so when the bike is shut down the seat can't drain the battery. The running light in the taillight controls the 2 relays and so far so good with the load. Soldering all the connections was the time consuming part but well worth it for reliability.
IT'S DONE!

Here's the schematic.

harness_ani.gif
Great post!

Makes me wish I had got on and wired in my Russell in time for this weekend's jaunt to Mim's seeing as it looks to be a little chilly on Saturday!!

Maybe I'll get it done on the day.....the perfect opportunity!

Are you going to be there?

Steve

Nice job!

I considered a heated seat, but opted to wire myself in.

The heated jacket and socks are the cats meow. When adjusted properly they aren't hot. you're just not cold.

When it's COLD, it doesn't matter what you get heat to, it feels good!

Latest posts