Now that gas is over $4 a gallon,

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALDAWG

Reaction score
will you be using your FJR more often? My fuel bill last month was almost $400. If I-95 was'nt such a death trap, I'd ride to work more often. Maybe I should find a job closer to my home.

I would ride my motorcycle 365 days a year regardless of gas prices if I could. Right now I'm one of the unlucky 5 months of riding/year club. :angry2:

I started off riding my bike more often this year because of having upgraded my suspension and I just enjoy riding it more often. However, now I do also ride because I am saving over 20 miles to the gallon compared to the truck or the jeep. Plus did I mention the new suspension makes it MORE FUN! :yahoo:

I normally commute if it's not raining when I leave for work...but with all the rain we've been having, I may just ride even if it is raining in the morning...what the hell my gear is all waterproof.

My car gets almost as good mileage as my FJR, so riding the bike doesn't save me money. I do ride whenever possible and the price of fuel won't change my riding plans this year. I hope I can say the same thing for 2012, but I'll wait and see.

I have to drive my company truck; I wouldn't get much done without the tools and parts on it. Good news is, the gas (and upkeep) is on the company's nickel.

I've run the numbers a few times. I don't commute/drive/ride that much in total.

For me to realize any savings, even at today's prices, I would have to ride

at least 16,000 miles MORE than I drive to offset the higher cost of bike maintenance

( i.e. tires ) in order to take advantage of the savings in fuel costs.

As a matter of fact, my minvan has been so ridiculously cheap to operate

that I could conceivably spend more money on shoes if I walked to work.

I mostly ride my FJR for enjoyment, not economy.

I've run the numbers a few times. I don't commute/drive/ride that much in total.

For me to realize any savings, even at today's prices, I would have to ride

at least 16,000 miles MORE than I drive to offset the higher cost of bike maintenance

( i.e. tires ) in order to take advantage of the savings in fuel costs.

As a matter of fact, my minvan has been so ridiculously cheap to operate

that I could conceivably spend more money on shoes if I walked to work.

I mostly ride my FJR for enjoyment, not economy.
Same here, no savings riding the FRJ. Maintenance off sets any perceived gas savings.

If I can ever figure out a way to secure my trombones, assorted music stuff, and work laptop all to the FJR, then I'd ride more days than not.

But, all I've figured out is my work laptop, so the rest of time I drive the truck.

It's not too brutal, though - my commute is all of 5 miles, so a tank in the truck can last up to a month.

Just had a cold air intake, a catted down pipe and a custom tune done on the car. +62HP and +58Tq from the base pull before the mods/tune. 93 octane is now over $4 but what the hell.

Just filled up tonight, Reg 87 unleaded, converted to a US Gallon is, $5.03 US ($1.33/l). Word has it its going up to 1.37 tomorrow morning.

Now if the morning temps would warm up just a scooch I'd start riding my bike to work.

I ride every day as long as there isn't ice. This morning it was snowing and sleeting, but by the time I left for work, it changed to all rain so I rode.

Yeah, gas $$$ are a real issue!

I was "lucky" to buy a 2 cylinder,'02 V-Strom DL 1000 at the end of last year's riding season, and I am happy to report the following;

- I fit it to a "T" being 6'2" tall and weigh in at 250#.

- It is a great commuter (20 miles a day RT), and will be a great warm (hot) weather touring bike (Not much cold weather protection needed where I live).

- It uses 87 Octane fuel and doesn't knock at all.

- I can load it as much as I load the FJR 1300 (100# Lbs.+ my heft) if I need to for a overnight ride/campout.

- It has 7" of front end fork travel for bumpy roads.

- No problemo, with highway speeds with a 6th (OD) gear which I have only used once to date!

- Bought it for 3K.

- It costs $9/month to register with Progressive as a second bike on a mutual policy with the '05 FJR1300 (bought new on the Yamaha PDP).

- It gets 48 MPG when commuting between work and home (a 20 mile RT).

All of this = Happy camper!

PS. When the Yamaha 1200 "Tenere" comes up in the "used" bike market in 2014, I will sell both my current rides and become "a hawk". I love the Tenere "idea", and proven Yamaha quality, but I have to wait for them to be owner proven first. I'll be sitting on a fence for awhile.

Best to those who ordered Tenere's with a PDP. Hope you all get your bikes on time as promised! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
KJ, I agree!

KrZy8 is under the knife so I've been riding Wabs, DL650, to Diablo every day now.

and I'm loving it.

My only other choice is to move closer to work - which is exactly what I'm going to do next Sunday - my commute will 8.5 miles! :yahoo:

My only other choice is to move closer to work - which is exactly what I'm going to do next Sunday - my commute will 8.5 miles! :yahoo:
Uhh... Don?

What's happening to the Honderosa?

Never mind, call me!
Will call anyway, to say hi -

..but I'm working nookie outage and camp out to save travel time!

Hondarosa is well armed and safe, trust me! ;)

I also commute every day if there is no ice. I can't get access to parking in our building with a car. So I started riding about 13 years back on my FJ. And bike parking in our building is still $6 a month. Can't beat that for DC.

I'm also commuting 37 miles each way into DC and my daily costs work like this:

$ 7.77 = FJR gas, oil, tires

Sometimes it costs about $4.50 for a day's parking but usually free.

It takes me just about an hour - less if traffic is light. I usually get home relaxed.

versus

$ 2.51 = gas (no tires or other costs) for 27 mpg car to Metrorail

$ 5.25 = parking at Metro

$ 9.50 = Metro fares ($4.75 x 2 ways)

$17.26 = TOTAL, for which it takes about an hour and 20 minutes, usually standing and rubbing elbows with a packed carload of my closest friends.