O.k. you 08 owners...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoobyvroom

Reaction score
I was really exited to get my new 08. Until I rode it home in the rain the other day. So then I tried to wash it I ended up with water spots all over. I remembed that I had one of those Mr Clean Auto Dry things. It was a pain in the but to use on a car with so much surface area. Tried it on the new bike and it worked alright but still had the spots. Anyone have any good tips on washing a black bike?? Never had anything that was black..

Thanks a bunch..

Scooby

I was really exited to get my new 08. Until I rode it home in the rain the other day. So then I tried to wash it I ended up with water spots all over. I remembed that I had one of those Mr Clean Auto Dry things. It was a pain in the but to use on a car with so much surface area. Tried it on the new bike and it worked alright but still had the spots. Anyone have any good tips on washing a black bike?? Never had anything that was black..
Thanks a bunch..

Scooby
I have no clue how to keep a black bike looking clean.. but I really like your handle!

Thanks a bunch..

Scooby
Never wash in bright sunlight, use soft cloths and towels, rinse thoroughly and dry with a chamois or soft towel. Also, do not use dish soap. Get the carwash soap. Of course, prepare youself for a forum barrage questioning your err....... preferences in partners... if you wash your bike. Just a heads up!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blink:

You have got to be kidding! Water spots?

what has this world come to. Next thing your going to be asking is how to take care of your bad flatulence and pimples.

:jerry:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have got to be kidding! Water spots?
what has this world come to. Next thing your going to be asking is how to take care of your bad flatulence and pimples.

:jerry:
Nobody on this forum is young enough to have pimples. Bad flatulence... that's another story.

This is a fair question, and one that many wrestle with whether they admit it or not. Some posters, as you have seen, simply relish in stupid bullshit when someone asks a legit question.

For me personally, I have found that the absolute best product to make paint look brand new smooth and shiney is Moto Pro Spray Polish. This product is chemically the same, I am told, as Honda Polish. Moto Pro is available at Cycle Gear at around 5 bux a can (and worth it). You can use it on your paint, chrome surfaces, metalic surfaces, your helmet, and yes, your windshield and your helmet visor. You will be amazed as I was the first time I saw it work. It cleans off bugs and grime as it polishes. After you spray it on, the first couple of strokes with your cloth will clean the surface, then flip over the cloth and the last few strokes restore a showroom gloss. Go ahead to WalMart and buy a couple of packs of baby diapers for your buffing and shining. Not disposable diapers, but the cloth diapers. They are soft, washable, and work really well for a motorcycle.

OK, so there you go. This will fix your water spots. Have fun and ride safe. Joe

I use a product called 'Wax As U Dry' from Eagle One with a microfiber cloth or 3. Works most excellently - I also use it on my visor. I picked up about 25 bottles of the stuff last year at a buck a bottle when Costco was having a clearance . . . I do the windshield with a paste wax. Then again my bike has the soft coated windshield and is Dark Blue Metallic - dark, but not as dark as yours.

Of course I do the machine just once at the start of the season and then whenever I have to disassemble it, like I did last week to replace the reflector . . . I clean each panel off the bike while it is off the machine, then do a 'Wax As U Dry' to clean up fingerprints after reassembly. Quick and easy, the machine looks brand new once it goes back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some posters, as you have seen, simply relish in stupid bullshit when someone asks a legit question.
For me personally,...This product is chemically the same, I am told, as...
Rumor? Hmm, so much more valuable.

Look dude, just wash your bike with a good ol' carwash and chamois it off.

A time honored tradition.

It's black man. Comes with the territory.

Keep cool here and you won't have to deal with the noise.

Use wisdom here and you won't go wrong.

Listen to the guys with more than FNG (not me) as their level ids and you stand a better chance of getting along and not being misled.

This place is fun and informative and has a personality all its own. Way cool in my opinion.

Kidding is allowed and somewhat encouraged.

You'll get your answer just exercise some patience and wisdom.

I own an '08 (had a black explorer) and believe me, I know what you are talking about.

Just clean it up regularly and you're good to go.

Don't tell anyone I said that though.

You should have bought a silver one..............they can be filthy and still look clean :rolleyes:

I will be happy to trade you mine (see avatar) for your black one :ph34r:

You should not have to live with the stress of keeping a black bike clean........... :blink:

Gees, has no one used a leaf blower?

Use one and you'll never dry your bike again with a towel or chamios.

Try it.

When I had a black car I found a final rinse with distilled water got rid of the water spots. I used to spray it out of a spray bottle.

When I had the Wing, which was black, I used Pedro. It got expensive, but man could that guy clean and detail a bike!

/serious

I had a gift card to the Harley shop (I used to have a Road King) and got one of these:

IMG_1705.jpg

Does an ok job, but I find that the air compressor with the air nozzle works better.

By the way, for a killer shine and some extra protection, try Armor All before you wash the bike. ;)

Some posters, as you have seen, simply relish in stupid bullshit when someone asks a legit question.
You say that like it's a bad thing!

:p

And as for the orignal poster, the answer is simple....................

DON'T BUY A BLACK BIKE!!!!!

There, how was that for relishing in stupid bullshit?

Here's a washing tip, add a couple drops vegetable oil to the wash. Helps the dirt flow off the surface.

As for wax/polish whatever, I've used Nu finish on my cars and bikes ever since Consumers Reports gave it the top rating a decade ago. Course, 10 years are gone, so there may be something even better now.

Latest posts