O.k. you 08 owners...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a black one too. All of my bikes have been black. It is the fastest color after all! Previous advice of using a car wash is first and you should keep the bike waxed. I use Nu-finish also. But, I don't wash that often because I use a spray called "Plexus." Great stuff. Cleans well, you can use on all parts of the bike and leaves a very nice shine.

Of course, here in eastern Kentucky, none of the dealers have ever heard of it. I have a friend who picks up a few cans for me.

Plexus and a microfibre cloth and your bike will sparkle...w/o water spots.

Keith

Gees, has no one used a leaf blower?
Use one and you'll never dry your bike again with a towel or chamios.

Try it.
Gerry, EXACTLY<<<<>>> I live on DIRT,SANDY,ROADS and have to travel 1.5 miles to pavement. My FJR is BLACK.

Wash in shade, blow dry it with back pack, towel dry remaining water and I am good to go. What is up with all the fuss?

WASH****DRY****RIDE*** end of story.

Also keep it waxed. Makes it easier to clean.

Yamaha-Bob

...but still had the spots.
Do you have a water softener in your house? Kitchen sinks, garden hoses and some toilets are plumbed to use city/well water.

Fill up a bucket with soft water. Take it outside with you when you wash your bike. Wash with water from the hose. Rinse with softened water.

Some posters, as you have seen, simply relish in stupid bullshit when someone asks a legit question.
Stupid bullshit? I was just post-whorin'! I need 9 to get to the next level. :dance: You should admire me for having lofty life goals.

As for washing the bike, once a month whether it needs it or not.

I rarely turn the hose to my bikes. Most times I just spray it with some Showroom Shine (Clicky) and wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel.

+1 to keeping it waxed.

Some posters, as you have seen, simply relish in stupid bullshit when someone asks a legit question.
Stupid bullshit? I was just post-whorin'! I need 9 to get to the next level. :dance: You should admire me for having lofty life goals.

As for washing the bike, once a month whether it needs it or not.

we do bullshit but never stupid bullshit :p

running ya bike thru the bayou does not count as a washing uctofeej :lol:

Gees, has no one used a leaf blower?
Use one and you'll never dry your bike again with a towel or chamios.

Try it.
Exactly. I use one to keep these clean:

2311FJ_for_FJ_Board.jpg

2311Vette_for_FJ_Forum.jpg

:yahoo:

Leaf blowers work fine but be careful around open bearing and around the instrument cluster. 150 mph wind and water can get places where you don't want it (especially when blown from angles not normal to regular cruising directions).

WOW

Did I open a can of worms or what?? I posted this at 8 last night and have two pages to read through already today. Thanks to all those with info. I have owned many cars none were black. My SV is blue and it dosen't show up very well, I am not super anal about keeping stuff clean, however I do like to take care of my stuff.

I will have to run to the auto store today and take a look at some items. I will give them a shot and let you know how it works. As far as the DI water goes, thats what the Mr Clean AutoDry thing is supposed to do. De-Ionize the water. Maybe I will give the Di water in a spray bottle a shot.

Thanks again..

Scooby

You want it really clean? Super klean? Try MEK. That'll klean anything except a bad headache.

I got mine perma shined, then i only used this rag Micro-Magic Cloths, https://www.streakfree.ca.

Bike looks shiny and spotless all the time and with almost no effort.

PS: i dont use soap and or waxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really exited to get my new 08. Until I rode it home in the rain the other day. So then I tried to wash it I ended up with water spots all over. I remembed that I had one of those Mr Clean Auto Dry things. It was a pain in the but to use on a car with so much surface area. Tried it on the new bike and it worked alright but still had the spots. Anyone have any good tips on washing a black bike?? Never had anything that was black..
Thanks a bunch..

Scooby
Hey Scoob,

When you go to dry your bike, use a leaf blower. I use an electric one that I bought at my local hardware store. Black shows everything and you should avoid using towels to dry it as this may produce fine scratches.

A leaf blower will get all the water out of the nooks and cranies too. It takes some time, but you'll have no spotting and your windscreen and mirrors will be spot free too.

When you apply polish, make sure you rub it on gently in back and forth motion. If you swirl it on, chances are you'll get swirl marks in the finish. Make sure you moisten the applicator too prior to adding the polish and touching your bike.

Nothing like a clear, swirl free gloss on black paint.

My approach is one good super clean first, then just wipe it down after that.

1. Buy your favorite line of clay bar, polish, and wax (I use Adam's Polishes)

2. Wash bike with dishwash detergent

3. Dry asap, no sense in making water spot problems worse

4. Use clay bar to smooth out finish - you'd be surprised what's there even if it's new and looks clean

5. Polish per directions

6. Wax per directions

7. Once the initial ritual is complete, I use a detail spray to keep things looking good.

If the detail spray is used diligently, it takes about 10 minutes to re-clean the bike. Spray the spray, wipe with microfiber, done. I usually wipe it down once a week.

wash a bike????
i don't understand that concept :huh: :p
It's what I have to do to clear the mud and cow sh*t that I get covering my radiator after a spin down nearby country lanes (and yes, I do have a fenda extenda). The rest of the bike gets the mud etc. taken off while I'm at it :yes:

wash a bike????
i don't understand that concept :huh: :p
It's what I have to do to clear the mud and cow sh*t that I get covering my radiator after a spin down nearby country lanes (and yes, I do have a fenda extenda). The rest of the bike gets the mud etc. taken off while I'm at it :yes:

i thought cowsh*t made it go faster????

;)

One of the "tricks" to rid or prevent minor water spotting was to use rubbing alcohol, then wax. :specool: Learned it from a couple of custom car show entrants back in the 70's. When I had my 1980 XS Eleven, I never washed it with anything else. No streaking, no water spots, cut throught the bugs and road grime well and it doesn't hurt anything on the bike. Of course, I was younger then and wanted to impress people I didn't know or like. Now, I couldn't care less about that and it's too much like work to wash it... often.

Roger

Leaf blowers work fine but be careful around open bearing and around the instrument cluster. 150 mph wind and water can get places where you don't want it (especially when blown from angles not normal to regular cruising directions).
No chit I used on on my 07 AE and kept getting shift errors for about 45 minutes till something dried up. Bike do not run well with that error code no shift till you can clear it.