O.M.G., FJR is near match to Hayabusa performance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry folks no contest. The Hayabusa is way way ahead in power and handling. It revs 2000 rpm's higher, and has more torque down low.The FJR is much much more comfortable for long trips, but it would get it's lunch eaten on a drag strip or a road course.

I shift out of 2nd gear at about 110mph, you will still see my tail lights if you are lucky when I shift out of 3rd.

The FJR does rock, but the Busa rockets.

Zoltan
Power yes, handling, not so much...

+1 to 9 tenths being an eternity at the drag strip.

Maybe it is just me but a 0-60 time diff of 0.3 sec seems pretty close. Yeah the Busa will pull away after that but it is interesting that depending on the drivers the FJR could keep up with the Busa for a little bit. Of course once the Busa rider is cramped up and has to stop for gas we can just cruise on past them. :rolleyes:

Okay... now I'm nervous about the commute home... what with Busa's and liter bikes "eating" and "crushing" my FJR. I mean, shit, I just got it back from the shop last week. :scare:

I guess we will always want something faster than the current fastest bike out there, but where does it stop? When do personal ane environmental limitations overcome technical ones?
Right now, I'm wading through the novel 'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' (very slowly). The writer enthuses about his new bike, and how the 35hp is such an improvement on his old, 7hp bike, for two up riding. What would he think to an R1? GSXR? FJR?

I wonder if I'll still be riding when a 200lb, 300mph bike comes on the market? What would I do with it on a public highway? What will the law do, to prevent inexperienced teenagers or indeed any rider without experience, taking off on one of these bikes? But then I guess that would invoke a discussion that involves politics.

Jill

I think the limit has already been reached...as far as my "enviroment" goes. Living near a major city, for those that are unaware , means traffic, bad roads, and road work zones. So , although my FJR can attain speeds 2x faster than the current maximum speed limit, there are no roads around here where riding that fast can be done safely.

Just about every motorcycle can out accellerate a car or truck, so building a bike that is quicker in traffic is kinda moot. Top speeds of over 130mph are fun , but in reality can only be enjoyed on the rare occasions one ventures out of the city and finds a nice clean bit of highway. (and wishes to risk getting tagged for speeding)

Don't get me wrong, I love fast bikes, and fast cars. But as technology gets better, we will still only see increases in performance (per year) that are measured in tenths of a second, and to the average Joe (or Jill) it will be barely noticable. Or more importantly... ever tap into that power in their everyday lives.

All the magazines rave about the new Concours because of it's power, but horsepower is not all that makes a motorcycle. In some sence here, we don't really need faster bikes, just better ones.

The point of all this is I don't really care if they make bikes that go even faster, they would be of no use to me. The 'Busa is faster than an FJR..so what? (Maybe in 10 years Yamaha will redesign the FJR and it will be faster..)

KM

KM

I gotta say handling, much. :yahoo:

If you are keeping up with a busa in the twisties, you are a much better rider than the busa boy.

I wish I could have kept the FJR for the things it was so good at, but this Hayabusa is way more stable in the twisty stuff. Honestly my Vstrom will push through a corner better than the FJR did. The FJR needed major suspension upgrades and grippier tires (less mileage) to even come close to the Busa. If I had more money I would never have sold the FJR, it was so comfy, and plenty fast. I do love this Hayabusa though.

It's a shame to be this good looking and not have any money. :D :D :D :D

Zoltan

I did not know our FJRs are a near match in 0 to 60 and quarter mile times to the Hayabusa. :huh:
I'm using a G2 throttle cam to reduce the throttle response, but I did not know my bike chose is so close in power to the Hayabusa famed incredible power.

Link to source information on Cycle world

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Price $10,999

Dry weight 530 lbs.

Wheelbase 58.5 in.

Seat height 31.0 in.

Fuel mileage 32.4 mpg

0-60 2.5 sec.

1/4-mile 10.06 sec.

@ 140.38 mph

Horsepower 158.9 hp

@ 9800 rpm

Torque 98.2 ft.-lbs.

@ 6950 rpm

Top speed 183 mph

Ups

Mountain motor

Agile enough for track days

Modern-day cult bike

Surely, I'm not going that fast...

Downs

Rapidly evaporating rear tire

Corners come up a lot faster than on other bikes

"License and registration, please..."

Yamaha FJR1300

Price (as tested) $13,199

Dry weight 609 lbs.

Wheelbase 59.8 in.

Seat height 31.2 in.

Fuel mileage 38.2 mpg

0-60 2.8 sec.

1/4-mile 10.93 sec.

@ 123.48 mph

Horsepower 124.7 hp

@ 7850 rpm

Torque 88.3 ft.-lbs.

@ 7025 rpm

Top speed 154 mph

Ups

Gold Wing/Hayabusa love child?

Gearbox practically shifts itself

Up, down, in between, tilt windshield flat works

Downs

Footpegs grind a little early

An OD sixth might be nice

Why no helmet locks?

Where do I plug in my radar detector and electric vest

Another ham-cooker in hot weather

Pull your rip cord 9/10 of a second later in some cases and it will be you last jump!

FJR (Great Bike) but no Hayabusa.

Concur, it ain't a 'busa. And the "gentlemen's agreement" between the manufacturers was 300 kilometers per hour. Which is, as we all know, 186.4 miles per hour. Which was, by some strange coincidence, very close to the top speed of the first-year Hayabusa.

The agreement to not exceed 300 kmh was to stave off European legislation on horsepower limits. Then the Italians thumbed their noses at the agreement when MV Agusta created the F4 R 312. MV said it would do 312 klicks, hence the name. But the mags haven't duplicated that, yet. Maybe they will.

If I wasn't so happy with my FJR, I would throw down on the new '08 Hayabusa as soon as a red one hit my Suzi dealer! But I am, so I won't.

Right towards the end of the wait, when my fucking FJR was nowhere to be found, no word from Yamaha, just in the DARK, I was THIS close to walking away from the $500 deposit and buying the '05 Hayabusa Limited Edition. But I wanted the FJR, so I passed on it. A week later my FJR showed up. OK, it had a little shipping damage, but they made all that good. And I've been completely happy with the FJR.

The FJR ain't got the shear acceleration of a liter bike or a 'busa. Hell, any of the new serious 600s will take it. But that ain't why I wanted an FJR. I wanted something sporting enough to keep me happy, and comfortable enough to enjoy a long day in the saddle. With a shaft drive. That wasn't crazy overpriced. That pretty much ruled out every bike except the FJR. And now the Kawi Concours, maybe. And if you add 'good looking' to the list of requirements, we're back to just one bike again.

But someone that would buy a Hayabusa can't be making wise cracks about how any other bike looks.

Plus the '08 Busa just upped the ante again (taking the lead, back from the Kaw) I have no complaints (on power) from my Feejer, but I also don't hold any illusions that the Yam and the Suz are that close.

Maybe it is just me but a 0-60 time diff of 0.3 sec seems pretty close.
..for the first 2-3 seconds of the race...which is no case for comparison on the outcome or how the bikes match up.

This
bugatti.jpg

and this
Cheetah_071.jpg

are close for the first 2 seconds too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess how the race ends depends on how far you race. Stoplight to stoplight might only be a 2-3 sec race and the Busa And FJR are about equal. If you race 1/4 mile drag track then hands down teh Busa wins. On a 1000 mile race bet the Busa rider quits before they finish due to discomfort.

The 2 are built for differant purposes. I think the point was that for the average rider in real world conditions they are fairly close, not equal but closer than one might think.

Oh yeah, that is one impresive cat and it corners much better than the car.

I guess how the race ends depends on how far you race. Stoplight to stoplight might only be a 2-3 sec race and the Busa And FJR are about equal. If you race 1/4 mile drag track then hands down teh Busa wins. On a 1000 mile race bet the Busa rider quits before they finish due to discomfort.
The 2 are built for differant purposes. I think the point was that for the average rider in real world conditions they are fairly close, not equal but closer than one might think.

Oh yeah, that is one impresive cat and it corners much better than the car.
...and unlike the cheetah, no matter HOW long you braise that Veyron, it'll never be tender and delicious. :)

Maybe it is just me but a 0-60 time diff of 0.3 sec seems pretty close. Yeah the Busa will pull away after that but it is interesting that depending on the drivers the FJR could keep up with the Busa for a little bit. Of course once the Busa rider is cramped up and has to stop for gas we can just cruise on past them. :rolleyes:
My 05 Busa when cruising will obtain 45-53 mpg, but whack the throttle a couple of times and it does deteriorate quickly. The fuel distance of both bikes are fairly equal when both are driven for economy, yet like I stated before, It is not a fair comparison of the Busa to the FJR for either bike. I love my 05 FJR and would not trade it for anything. The Busa commutes long distances very well when you tuck in and lay on the tank, yet the 2up riding is terrible for the passenger's comfort. In contrast, the FJR also performs well in long distance riding with the added bonus of the wifey :big_boss: not complaining once the intended distination has been reached.

I currently own both. Make no mistake about it, these are two totally different machines; from both a performance, riding, and comfort standpoint.

Performance: Maybe here's the best way to put it... I've grown used to occasionally pinning the throttle on my FJR's (I've owned two). FJR acceleration is brisk, smooth, and more than enough for most any road condition.

Acceleration on the Busa is a totally different ballgame. If you decide to pin the throttle on a Busa, you had better be damn ready and have a lot of clear space in front of you! As others on this thread have said, the FJR is fast, but it is no Busa. Triple digits happen fast and effortlessly on a Busa. As the Busa's speed-o flies past 100mph it feels like it's just starting to wake up, and you find yourself automatically wanting to "tuck-in" to become part of the bike's slip-stream. Typically, [at least in my case], my courage runs out before the engine's power does. This is a pure rocket; from idle up. Not only does the Busa produce more power, but it weighs approximately 100 pounds less than the FJR, which helps with the power-to-weight ratio. And the Busa has the aerodynamanics required to reach the higher end speeds. And as the FJR starts to peter-out around 150-155mph, the Busa is still pulling strong (and I mean STRONG) to near the 190mph mark.

Comfort: The FJR beats the Busa hands down when it comes to general riding comfort, storage, brakes, and touring. Can you tour on a Busa? Sure, people do, but your back will definitely be thankful if you're on a FJR.

Handling: Under normal riding conditions both bikes handle well, but as the speeds get turned up, I have a much higher degree of confidence with my Busa's handling characteristics. With some of the FJR's parts sitting fairly high on its chassis (wind catching windscreen, battery, storage boxes, large fuel tank), the Busa has a lower center of gravity and is lighter; both of which add to the Busa's handling characteristics.

All that being said, I ride my FJR much more than my Busa. Why? Mainly because of the comfort factor, and the fact that the FJR does lots of things very, very well. But when I feel a pure need-for-speed - I can't resist rolling out my Busa. I plan to keep them both. They make a great combination. :yahoo:

And if I was forced to own only one? Naaaaaaaaaaa, I couldn't do it. :D

Ah... and the GenII Busa is even faster! :dribble:

There's certainly nothing wrong with our great FJR's. But if you have a fragile ego, you'd be wise not to take on a Busa. All you'll be seeing is the Busa's tail lights.

SR-71

I gotta say handling, much. :yahoo:

If you are keeping up with a busa in the twisties, you are a much better rider than the busa boy.

I wish I could have kept the FJR for the things it was so good at, but this Hayabusa is way more stable in the twisty stuff. Honestly my Vstrom will push through a corner better than the FJR did. The FJR needed major suspension upgrades and grippier tires (less mileage) to even come close to the Busa. If I had more money I would never have sold the FJR, it was so comfy, and plenty fast. I do love this Hayabusa though.

It's a shame to be this good looking and not have any money. :D :D :D :D

Zoltan
but I am sure glad I bought your FJR! HAH, how you like that busa? we should go for a ride, swap bikes, let you ride the FJR and I will try out your new busa!

Had my 05 FJR and an 04 Busa in my garage for about 5 months last year as I was babysitting the Busa for a friend. I confess to having the shit scared out of me almost every time I rode the Suzuki. I get on and head out of town to the hills in the west and on every bit of straight road I crank it and in between keeping the front tire down and hanging on, I can feel my pucker getting tighter, and I am getting all the adrenaline I need mainlined into my heart. I hated cornering on it, I always felt like it was high siding and I had to push the lower bar harder than I wanted to get it to dig in. A lifetime ago, I bought a new '73 Kaw triple H2, and although it was puny compared to the Busa, it scared the bejusus out of me too. But I was young and loved the rush.

There is absolutely no comparison between the FJR and the Busa, IMO. One is a great, all around powerful, comfortable bike that does most things pretty damn well and the other is a fucking drag bike!

Comfort:

FJR: Ride all day.

Busa: Ride for a few hours every day.

Power:

FJR: Pulls like a train.

Busa: Removes the shoulders from their sockets.

Speed:

FJR: Moves from city to city rapidly.

Busa: Moves from timezone to timezone rapidly.

Shock factor:

FJR: WOW!

Busa: Please don't let me die yet!

Satisfaction:

FJR: Induces a Perma-grin.

Busa: Induces tunnel-vision and a Perma-grim.

Different beasts. Both outstanding motorcycles.

P.S. I'm getting an 08 Busa to replace the 04 that I wrecked, and I'm keeping the FJR for longer trips.

A lifetime ago, I bought a new '73 Kaw triple H2, and although it was puny compared to the Busa, it scared the bejusus out of me too. But I was young and loved the rush.
Ah... the H2! Now that brings back memories of the 70's! I seem to remember the stock H2 only had about 73hp, but it also had a 40/60% weight distribution which meant the front wheel could be lofted skyward effortlessly (even in turns, which I found out once). I loved that crazy, blue smokin' machine! Anyone have one for sale? :D

SR-71

A lifetime ago, I bought a new '73 Kaw triple H2, and although it was puny compared to the Busa, it scared the bejusus out of me too. But I was young and loved the rush.
Ah... the H2! Now that brings back memories of the 70's! I seem to remember the stock H2 only had about 73hp, but it also had a 40/60% weight distribution which meant the front wheel could be lofted skyward effortlessly (even in turns, which I found out once). I loved that crazy, blue smokin' machine! Anyone have one for sale? :D

SR-71
Me first!!!