Odometer anomaly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
This might not exactly fit within the "Mileage Milestones" intended in this post but I had a "Mileage Milestone" today the likes of which I would appreciate any feedback in explanation. Saturday April 21, 2012 I had an event with my 2003 FJR having 35,700 miles at the time of the event. The event is not related other than I thought it was remarkable when I checked the odometer it read 35,700 miles. After I hauled (on a trailer) my FJR home I consulted with others and my bike was running fine so I changed the oil & filter (time to do that anyway) and went for a short test ride. No problems, bike is running just great. Fast forward to today I am running errands and having replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) three times, the bike was feeling like it might need replacement again, so when it started running erratically I pulled over stopped the engine, waited and performed a static diagnostic test for the TPS. The results were that the TPS is functioning as it should. My bike started right up and ran just as smoothly as ever. When I stopped for fuel I wrote down the mileage I always have, always will, and the odometer was showing 54,475 miles. Hummm that was a bit odd, I thought, I'm gong to have to double check the note I made at the time of the afore mentioned event. Sure enough the event mileage is 35,700. I KNOW I didn't drive 18,775 miles on the short test drive after I changed the oil. (It gets better) After I fueled up, I drove a specific route to two other errands, Google maps make it about 33.5 miles, which is accurate. When I checked the odometer after I got home it is showing 57,558 miles or 3,083 miles since I fueled up! That is definitely not accurate. Could there have been some glitch in the diagnostic that could have done this? The odometer is multiplying each mile by a factor of about 92.03 based on the shown mileage on the odo VS the mileage estimates of Google. Stay tuned I may be topping all of you very soon!

Warchild - feel free to move this post to the most appropriate place.

Yes, you put this in the wrong thread. So I started your own thread.

As for your issue - are you ready for your head-slapping "I'm an idiot" moment?

Look at your LCD display very closely. I bet it says "kms" instead of "miles" after the odometer reading. :blink:

You're welcome and that will be a dollar. :)

As I am used to kms I prefer a metric display when given the choice. I once rented a car in Las Vegas and switched the display to metric. On my return to the rental counter the clerk took the odo reading, gave an appreciative whistle and commented that it was a good thing my rental came with unlimited miles . . .that the reading was some 15000 units higher after 48 hours was lost on the man

I was thinking the same thing, but that does not account for the 3,083 KM or Miles for the short 33.5 mile trip. Perhaps you misread the last reading. Do check the setting for Miles VS KM.

I was thinking the same thing, but that does not account for the 3,083 KM or Miles for the short 33.5 mile trip. Perhaps you misread the last reading. Do check the setting for Miles VS KM.

It makes more sense if the second reading was 57,xxx rather than 54,xxx.

Strider,

I'm going to disagree here, assuming that the numbers you've given are accurate. Obviously you had a pencil and were busy writing them down. The miles/kilometers issue that the forum has mentioned is certainly likely, but doesn't explain that final 3083 mile/kilometer error. There's no way to explain the numbers you've quoted, unless something is amiss. Keep us posted, this should be interesting.

Gary

darksider #44

Skooter is right (again). You inadvertently switched your instruments into metric mode.

Then, you apparently noted the first metric reading incorrectly, since 35700 miles is equal to 57,453, you could never have seen 54,XXX km displayed.

So, more likely what you actually saw was 57,475 when you stopped for fuel and then saw 57,558 kilometers later on, difference of 83 kilometers or 51 miles.

To make all things right in the world again, just press and hold down the "select" button on the instrument cluster for more than two seconds, and the display switches back to miles.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I get a dollar from him if I give the same answer again? :blink:
I'll give you a 'yes' vote! :lol:

I wonder where he went? Too embarrassed to come back? Hell, if I didn't post due to bone-headed stuff I do, I wouldn't post at all!

:jester:

Maybe he's still holding down the "select" button? :huh:

(I checked and he hasn't logged back into the forum since 12:35 AM, right after posting the question)

watchdrama8jm.gif

The plot thickens...

Don't you guys worry... strider will come back soon enough and find that all of his questions regarding the meaning of life have been well and duly answered. Right here.

:lol:

Can I get a dollar from him if I give the same answer again? :blink:
I'll give you a 'yes' vote! :lol:

I wonder where he went? Too embarrassed to come back? Hell, if I didn't post due to bone-headed stuff I do, I wouldn't post at all!

:jester:
Same here..My moronic attempt at jumpering the sidestand switch was real smooth :lol:

In a year and eight months since I joined up, I've noticed a bit of a pattern.

Post and try: honest effort to communicate

Post and cry: moaning and groaning

Post and die: under the dogpile

Post and pry: Nosey rascal

Post and fly: Where'd he go?

Post and shy: Is that a tail between those legs?

Post and fry: mercilessly flogged

;)

In a year and eight months since I joined up, I've noticed a bit of a pattern.

Post and try: honest effort to communicate

Post and cry: moaning and groaning

Post and die: under the dogpile

Post and pry: Nosey rascal

Post and fly: Where'd he go?

Post and shy: Is that a tail between those legs?

Post and fry: mercilessly flogged

;)
And then there is Beemerdons, post & post and then post again. Do you have any theories on this phenomena??

ScooterG nailed it right out of the chute. Pardon my brief absence from the forum. And contrary to some jokingly prognosticated my sabbatical was not a result of my over site looking at my odometer missing the km instead of mi next to the mileage. While it sometimes feels like a brief absence, a lot has happened.

A brief summery: I broke my leg skiing, tibia in four pieces, fibula in two (I was slowly traversing a slope on a summer access road). Three surgeries, external fixation, a plate and two months later I'm back on my feet working as a Dental Hygienist, but the Dentist I have worked 25 years for has replaced me, permanently. I deliver my impressive resume to more than 30 area dentists and daily visit at least four of five of them, checking on any openings. After two months I take my search to the entire state of Washington and using various methods I can daily check for any open positions. I find out the demand for Dental Hygienists in the state of Washington is down 40%, yes that is 40 percent! There is a huge glut of Dental Hygienists in the state and yet the state is producing 100-150 new Dental Hygienists annually, still. Available jobs pay 10% of what I was making as a Dental Hygienists, I can’t even pay for cable TV at that rate. So a career change is in order, I eventually get my General Contractors License and with many, large, well established, housing contractors in the area, I decide on serving peoples needs on small jobs the big guys won’t touch. A niche that has seen me grow my business, mostly through work of mouth, to well over 100 very satisfied, repeating customers in about 20 months. I put in about three times the time I did as a Hygienists (three 8 hour days a week) but I can now make the mortgage payments. I did have to sell my beloved FJR to cover about half of our out of pocket medical expenses. Hard to believe a broken leg can cost $60k!

So I’m not riding currently but continue to dream about a new bike - maybe even an electric - maybe . . .

...that has to be one of the longest " pauses " in a thread on this forum ever....good you are back and healthy....want an '05 at a great price ?!!! Seriously...i can't think of a better recipient...lemme know...only 63K and driven on sundays by a mad monk....

blessings'

bobby

ps...lots of gear will be going with the bike no charge...tank bag, winter gloves,5 pair, socks, glove liners, summer joe rocket size 42...and more, lots of little farkely things...i am being forced out of motorcycles after 47 years...so all must go...