odometer reading after 17mpg repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdrake

Reaction score
I just had my dashboard replaced to fix the 17 mpg problem on my 2006 FJR. It was covered under warranty and done in a day. As I rode away I saw that my 3048 mile odometer reading was now 000000 miles on the new gage. I called the dealer and he said that there is no way to reset the odometer on the new dashboard.

Is this correct? Has anyone heard anything to the contrary? When you're was replaced, did they give you back your bike with the proper mileage indicated?

I'm not overly concerned, but I would prefer that all vehicles have true mileage recorded on the odometer to noone has to second guess what's there.

Steve

Is this correct? Has anyone heard anything to the contrary? When you're was replaced, did they give you back your bike with the proper mileage indicated?
Yes, this is why the 'bulk' of us have not had this fixed. The dealer was supposed to put a mileage discrepancy sticker on the inside of your glove box, look and see if that's there.

They are also supposed to let your state know that your odo isn't right anymore or doesn't reflect actual mileage. (I have no idea how they'd do that or enforce it though).

You can put the mileage back on using a speedo-healer and a little bit of time. Some folks have done that, others have made the dealer make it right be sending out the 'new' dash to put mileage on it before installing it.

-MD

I just had my dashboard replaced to fix the 17 mpg problem on my 2006 FJR. It was covered under warranty and done in a day. As I rode away I saw that my 3048 mile odometer reading was now 000000 miles on the new gage. I called the dealer and he said that there is no way to reset the odometer on the new dashboard.

I'm not overly concerned, but I would prefer that all vehicles have true mileage recorded on the odometer to noone has to second guess what's there.

Steve

Steve
my 2006 fjr also has the 17mpg showing all the time. i didn't know that this is a warranty problem. by the way is the new display showing the correct mpg?

The only thing this was fixing is the 'instant' mpg reading, which on some of the earlier '06 models displayed 17mpg when moving. I had mine done at 8700 miles and got the sticker in the glove box. I had been warned about this before hand and had armoralled the inside so the sticker came right off (I hate all the stickers that the manufacturers love to put on the bike and I remove them as soon as I take delivery). Put the other sticker that comes with the new instrument in my owners manual. If I had to do it again it's really not worth the math.

For what it's worth.. I had mine replaced and glad I did. My needles had begun to not sweep at every key on, and it just bugged me that the frickin' computer was messed up. I'm a computer geek by trade.. so I couldn't help myself. Since the replacement, no problem with needle sweep, I can tell my engine is happiest in the rpm band vs mpg, and no letter from the DMV. YMMV, but I'm glad I did it. :D

For what it's worth.. I had mine replaced and glad I did. My needles had begun to not sweep at every key on, and it just bugged me that the frickin' computer was messed up. I'm a computer geek by trade.. so I couldn't help myself. Since the replacement, no problem with needle sweep, I can tell my engine is happiest in the rpm band vs mpg, and no letter from the DMV. YMMV, but I'm glad I did it. :D
Bingo! That's why I did mine too. No more start up sweep problems with the new dash.

If the mileage thing bugs you, you can send your dash to any of a number of 3rd party shops that will adjust it for you back to what it's supposed to be. The "Man" doesn't care if you add miles, he just don't want you to take any away :D

If you artificially add miles then what happens if you want to sell it and the buyer checks with the state? Won't they conclude that your bike has more miles than it really does have since the state will tell them that it has whatever number of miles more than what the odometer says it does?

I think I'd like to do get the cluster replaced at the 10,000 mile mark, just to keep the math a little simpler. Is there an expiration date on them offering the fix? I probably won't be at 10,000 miles until February. (Though I guess I could ride to Mexico for a Margarita and come back to get it done.)

Last edited by a moderator: