OEM 50 liter top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they copied the Givi 357 mount style to utilize the new top box, smart idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet man, that thing fits great and matches perfectly! Loving the blue. Where are the frame sliders from? Those fit right in and look pretty nifty!
Thank you, and the sliders are T-Rex. https://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=468

Nice work and looks like a million bucks. I've hauled several pounds of business paperwork in my cases with no issues, although I typically abide by the speed limit at all times with only a few exceptions...like I'm late, or frustrated with cagers, or need to go fast, or have to go to the bathroom, or....
Thank you, and yes on my '08 I had the 31 liter top case, and on various occasions loaded it up. In fact I made a Costco trip on the bike once.

That box is a bit bigger than the gen 1's, correct? (super sharp bike BTW)
I think the Gen 1 can only use the 31 liter box. Gen 2 and Gen 3 can use either the 31 liter or the 50 liter. And thank you for the compliment on the bike.

I purchased my 05 with the 51.81 liter box or 1.83 cubic feet installed and never had a problem it was even color matched from Yamaha. I never have seen the 39 Liter box on an FJR. I think the new box is a little wider and not as tall as the older touring trunk

I purchased my 05 with the 51.81 liter box or 1.83 cubic feet installed and never had a problem it was even color matched from Yamaha. I never have seen the 39 Liter box on an FJR. I think the new box is a little wider and not as tall as the older touring trunk
I know that Yamaha advertises the Touring Trunk at 1.83 cubic feet, but I can tell you unequivocally it is much smaller than what they call the new 50 liter top case. I have heard the Touring Trunk called 31 liter before, so that is why I used that terminology. I had the Touring Trunk on my 2008 and it used a much less robust mounting system, and was indeed much smaller. Both trunks are still available from Yamaha, although the Touring Trunk is not currently available in Cobalt Blue.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fjr-50l-top-case?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2016|42&dealernumber=

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/touring-trunk?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28&f=2016|42&dealernumber=

Darigold%202nd%20Annual%20Motorcycle%20Ride%20051_zpsk6sxgzs6.jpg

IMG_1039_zpswrrke8fd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also found the Touring Trunk large on the outside and rather small on the inside. it just seemed higher than the new one, I could not put 2 full face helmets in it but it was close. I had lots of room above the helmet to place anything that could be formed. The new box option was not available when I purchased my new top box I went with a Givi V56NNT MAXIA 4 much more room and not much more of a foot print than the Touring Trunk. I agree the mounting option from Yamaha was inadequate & I am glad it has been updated after 14 yrs.

Can the new mount be used with the Touring trunk? It appears to use the same latching system.

It looks like Yamaha took Givi's design of the 357 mount and made it more stylish. It looks great and obviously more robust.

V56NNT.jpg

Can the new mount be used with the Touring trunk? It appears to use the same latching system.
It looks like Yamaha took Givi's design of the 357 mount and made it more stylish. It looks great and obviously more robust.
You know the latching system does look similar. I doubt they would make them the same though as then someone might use the old mount with the new trunk.