OEM 50 liter top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellerophon

Reaction score
I ordered a top case when I bought my '16A. In fact I made it part of the purchase deal. Well it showed up today and after reading the installation instructions, I now have a couple of concerns. In order to mount the rear carrier you have to cut part of the bodywork away. They provide templates but honestly I am nervous about tackling that myself. I will likely have Snake River Yamaha do it.

Secondly Yamaha does not recommend using the 50 liter top case in conjunction with the panniers for fear of overloading. Also they say you must stay below 80 mph with the 50 liter top case. I think europe has had this for a while. Does anyone have any experiance with it? I'd love to see some pictures installed.

IMG_1026_zpsqjjfsppy.jpg

Top%20case%20from%20website_zpscscwtkq2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding with all three bags on a lot. Not a problem at all. Go ahead and get ahold of Garauld on this forum and order the stiffy kit to make sure your rear subframe doesn't crack if you put heavy stuff in there. As far as the keep it below 80mph, that's to protect themselves too. If you get close to triple digits on your speed, the empty space between you and the box will create some turbulence and feel a little jittery. Putting something on the seat will eliminate the turbulence. It won't take much, even my smuggler makes the problem go away. Don't stress over any of that. Enjoy your new bike. I'd love to get the 50L box but, the small box works just fine for me. :)

I've been riding with all three bags on a lot. Not a problem at all. Go ahead and get ahold of Garauld on this forum and order the stiffy kit to make sure your rear subframe doesn't crack if you put heavy stuff in there. As far as the keep it below 80mph, that's to protect themselves too. If you get close to triple digits on your speed, the empty space between you and the box will create some turbulence and feel a little jittery. Putting something on the seat will eliminate the turbulence. It won't take much, even my smuggler makes the problem go away. Don't stress over any of that. Enjoy your new bike. I'd love to get the 50L box but, the small box works just fine for me.
smile.png
I had the smaller box on my '08 with no issues and am very familiar with it.. Yamaha is okay with using the saddlebags with the smaller one.

Not really, I've read that Yamaha doesn't recommend using all three bags with the smaller one either. They are just covering their butts legally. Don't worry about it. All of us that have the three bags use them. Especially on long road trips.

Not really, I've read that Yamaha doesn't recommend using all three bags with the smaller one either. They are just covering their butts legally. Don't worry about it. All of us that have the three bags use them. Especially on long road trips.
Yes, you are correct. I looked on the Yamaha accessory website and it indeed said that the saddlebags are not recommended with the 39 liter "touring trunk" either. I had no issues with that one on my '08.

I don't have the oem 50l case. But I know this guy who has done in excess of 130mph, sometimes in excess of 140, with side cases and an E55 numerous times in varying wind conditions and with varying loads. No problems whatsoever. I would never run a top case without a SR357 or stiffy.

Do you guys know if you can get an XL helmet in that case?

I think you can get two in the Shad or Givi if I remember right.

I still don't understand why they are so expensive...compared to aftermarket.

I installed it today. It's pretty straight forward, as I said earlier the only part I was concerned with was cutting the bodywork to accommodate the new frame. I used the templates provided and cut it with a Dremel tool, and had no issues. I was a little concerned about how the bigger 50 liter box would look, but it does not look that much bigger than the 31 liter box. In fact it looks fine. Here are some pictures.

IMG_1039_zpswrrke8fd.jpg

IMG_1035_zpsuhn2th8v.jpg

IMG_1034_zpsd65u4pwk.jpg

Here is a shot of the new mount, and associated hardware.

IMG_1027_zpsu66aj8h9.jpg

This is where you have to enlarge the cutout in the side-covers.

IMG_1031_zpsxibojdzl.jpg

Sharp new trunk and luggage rack. Looks like Yamaha finally got the message and mounted the trunk far enough back to accommodate a pillion.

Looks nice and fits the bike!

--G

Forgive me if it's been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find the answer to the following question:

Can this be fitted to a Gen II?

Looks good! Nice install.

If I were doing it I would make one addition: Add a piece of rubber between the mounting bracket and side panels like the original one had to keep from rubbing paint off the panels AND to reduce vibration.

Can you fit an XL helmet in it?

Nice looking farkle, and nice job there.

It looks like that new mount might cover some of the need for a stiffy kit?

Looks like you took your aftermarket AE clutch accessory back off, didn't like it??

The rack is aluminium right? Big improvement. The old cases cracked underneath. Looks nice.

Forgive me if it's been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find the answer to the following question:
Can this be fitted to a Gen II?
On the accessory page on the Yamaha website says it will fit a 2009 through 2016. Not sure why 2006 through 2008 are omitted, although I suspect it is just because of colors available.

Looks good! Nice install.
If I were doing it I would make one addition: Add a piece of rubber between the mounting bracket and side panels like the original one had to keep from rubbing paint off the panels AND to reduce vibration.

Can you fit an XL helmet in it?
I can easily fit my full-face Shoei Qwest in it with room to spare, although the 31 liter trunk will also fit a full-face helmet.

Nice looking farkle, and nice job there.
It looks like that new mount might cover some of the need for a stiffy kit?

Looks like you took your aftermarket AE clutch accessory back off, didn't like it??
Yep, got tired of burning up belts.
smile.png

The rack is aluminium right? Big improvement. The old cases cracked underneath. Looks nice.
Yes, the rack is aluminum, and thank you!

Sweet man, that thing fits great and matches perfectly! Loving the blue. Where are the frame sliders from? Those fit right in and look pretty nifty!

Nice work and looks like a million bucks. I've hauled several pounds of business paperwork in my cases with no issues, although I typically abide by the speed limit at all times with only a few exceptions...like I'm late, or frustrated with cagers, or need to go fast, or have to go to the bathroom, or....