OEM Touring Trunk failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
During this summer, my OEM top box decided to start cracking (I thought) at the front lower corners of the retaining lip along the front lower of the box that slips into the mounting plate. It may not have started here, I don't know.... you'll see as we go through the pictures. This top box has the recall, i.e., aluminum plate adhered to the bottom of the box via 2-way tape. I had first noticed some minor stress cracking when I was at NERDS.... I was aware it was getting a little worse after that as time went on, and I was going to use some plastic epoxy and rivet a metal plate across there... at least that WAS the plan.

First, the cracks covered with duct tape (thanks to IceStationZebra) to hold it together for my last ride when I saw the cracks had really gotten bad on the way home from the EOM trip. I have used my little pry bar to open up the cracks so you can see how thin this material is and how far they extended.

P1020135_zps27836086.jpg

P1020136_zps02df7aca.jpg

P1020137_zps0f40bf12.jpg

P1020138_zpsf382dac9.jpg

P1020139_zps050661df.jpg

P1020140_zps585a327e.jpg

Bill and Mike were telling me there seemed to be excessive up/down movement at the rear of the box, so I found that the actual base was also cracked. Although you can't see it very well, I pried on the recall plate to expose the area around the latch, and it was all cracked too.

P1020141_zps77970504.jpg

This is a shot of the recall plate, stuck on pretty darn good with 2-way tape.

P1020143_zpsea27c0d1.jpg

I stuck the blade end of my pry bar in all around to cut the adhesive and it took a lot of effort to get the darned plate off. Again you can't see the cracks that well, but one big one extends from the left side (as viewed), across and around the rear of the latch and headed towards the other side.... curled a bit around my NERDS sticker if you can see it.

P1020144_zpsb4cdb5dc.jpg

P1020145_zps72b5ae4c.jpg

In this last picture, I laid the plate down on the bottom of the box and took a picture to show the brown areas where the 2-way tape was not adhering. I don't know if it was stuck on properly in the first place, but I'm guessing not.

P1020146_zpse0ec60cb.jpg

So, only speculation on my part, but the cracks around the latch (hidden by the plate when installed) may have started first. My logic, the cracks in front may not have appeared if the latch area had not flexed... dunno. I also don't know if somebody may have leaned on the top of the trunk hard enough to crack the latch area, but kind of unlikely as it shouldn't crack if weight is applied from the top. Or, if my pillion (who does not lean on the backrest) may have accidentally leaned back with some force, but I doubt it. So, more likely from upward forces at the rear, or vibration from hitting bumps (I have been on some rough roads this summer). It certainly didn't help that the 2-way adhesive on the recall plate wasn't 100% adhered around the latch, IMHO.

These boxes are a bit on the top heavy side, and I do have a cargo net where I keep my FrogToggs and maybe a jacket liner or two in the lid of the box. Have I ever overloaded the box... guilty. I've had 15+ lbs in it, I'm sure. At first, I thought the rear subframe may have failed, but it is in great shape.

Someone suggested I take it to my Yammy dealer to see if they will replace it... it is 5 years old.... I have one being generously donated to me, but if it ever fails, I'd go get a Givi as they are lower profile and wider to keep your stuff at a lower center of gravity.

Thanks for posting. Pretty dramatic cracking going on there. I don't have one of these top cases - I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the issue. Having to carry so darn little in terms of mfg recommended weight in a top case is a problem no matter what model of top case you have.

My wife does not go with me often. If she did I'd have to seriously consider getting a trailer to make two up riding feasible. I can't seem to get her to leave stuff at home. Hell her wallet is 8 inches long, 2 to 3 inches thick and 3 to 4 inches wide, and it weighs 1 pound or more.

Best wishes on getting it replaced by Momaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my old one cracked in all the same places as yours just not as severe. Or I noticed it before it got as bad as yours. But after I repaired it it didn't seem to get anyworse or crack more.

Thanks for posting. Pretty dramatic cracking going on there. I don't have one of these top cases - I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the issue. Having to carry so darn little in terms of mfg recommended weight in a top case is a problem no matter what model of top case you have.

My wife does not go with me often. If she did I'd have to seriously consider getting a trailer to make two up riding feasible. I can't seem to get her to leave stuff at home. Hell her wallet is 8 inches long, 2 to 3 inches thick and 3 to 4 inches wide, and it weighs 1 pound or more.

Best wishes on getting it replaced by Momaha.

:lol: yea them Missy's,

Good thing, my wife rides her CanAm, which I always mock of being a car in disguise, that many trunks 'n stuff it has.

But that OEM trunk seems to be a real hand full and a little disappointing for the money one has to cough up to get it (me included).

Yeah my old one cracked in all the same places as yours just not as severe. Or I noticed it before it got as bad as yours. But after I repaired it it didn't seem to get anyworse or crack more.
DUDE!!! Was it REALLY necessary to include ALL those pictures in your reply? Like the originals were only two posts above yours!!!

I will have to give mine a look over..... geez, that is just not right. I could see it doing that after an attempted break-in, but not from normal use. Seems like a design issue (material used ??). How many out there with similar issues ?

I will have to give mine a look over..... geez, that is just not right. I could see it doing that after an attempted break-in, but not from normal use. Seems like a design issue (material used ??). How many out there with similar issues ?
Enough to force a company-wide recall...

My original cracked and was replaced with the recalled reinforced one.

That lasted a few years of very limited use and it also cracked despite the mod.

So I just got a third one (on my dime) thinking they would be imporoved by now but it is the same POS as the

recalled unit. Disappointed.

If yours hasn't cracked yet.......it will.

Next time it will be a GIVI.

Yup, just checked mine and it has 2 or more cracks going. No abuse and the bike only has 17,000 KMS on it, not to mention that the top box only goes on the bike when I have the wife or kids joining me (back support). I wonder if this can be taken up with the TSB (Canadian equivalent) seeing that the failure of the top box could lead to it falling off the bike (and possibly the rear passenger) ?

More digging around to do and some pics to follow...

I bought my namesake top case after the recall, so it was reinforced when I got it. It started to crack in the same pattern as yours, starting from the back, at about 32,000 miles of continuous use (I usually store the side cases, but use the top case to ease urban parking).

I repaired the top case cracks by bolting from the inside through the aluminum plate, with large fender washers padded with rubber plumbing washers. The case didn't crack any further, but only 3,000 miles later my mounting plate has started to crack. I don't see an easy way to reinforce that, so I'm looking for an aluminum adventure-touring style top case.

I just got my Yamaha top case and while I only plan on using it occassionally I will now know to watch out for this. Good luck and thanks for sharing this.

If you can find some plastic epoxy (comes in a syringe dispenser), that stuff is tough but not brittle. I mixed some up and smeared it into the radii to strengthen the mount plate up, or repair. You can build it up in layers if you like, it can be filed and sanded, etc.