Official 2009 EOM Announcement!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last EOM Pillion and I packed on miles the first day (~600 miles) to get to the Skyline drive. Early the second morning we hit the SLD and had a leisurely ride through the park stopping regularly for scenics, deer and bear (plus road work & dense fog). Mid afternoon we completed the SLD and bombed over to Lewisburg for a late afternoon arrival.

You would be finishing the SLD at Waynesboro and from there a straight shot to Johnson City via slab will be at least 260 miles. If you duck S/E from Waynesboro to the Blue Ridge PKW you would be looking at adding a third day IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Fred and Alan, for your input.

Planning on retracing my commuting days to Atlanta (more or less).

We'll have to see if CJ wants to caravan with us or any New Englander.

Sull

Seriously, I've ridden 585 miles in a day trip to laconia and back. with pit stops and such and I enjoyed it thoroughly and wasn't sore or stiff (much). So...... It's about 875 miles from me to EOM2009 which I figure is about 13.5 to 14.5 hours of riding. Am I kidding myself that I can hop on and do it with a few pit stops here and there. Or am I setin' up to get myself killed, and should just plan a 2 day commute down there?
My Dream Plan would be leave home (forever...... :rolleyes: oh wait , wrong forum), 2 days before git'r'done in a day, rest a day, meet and greet and eat, and ride for the weekend, And then I suppose I'd have to return home at the end. I'm gonna do my best to do this this year. It's a long trip to go alone so maybe some others from Northeast like MA RI or NH would like to Convoy. Breaker breaker this is rubber ducky come on.... foot tappin music
DC,

My suggestion would be to plan on a 2 day ride down and 2 days back. That is what I did last year to EOM in WV and it makes the trip enjoyable rather than such a "challenge". By breaking it into 2 full days I was able to make a route down that never touched the interstate. Covered lots of nice back roads instead. Much more relaxing, lots more scenery, and no need for a recovery day when you get there.

The challenge (for all of us from New England) is getting clear of that huge festering sore of humanity (NYC and E. NJ). Riding a motorcycle down I95 or the Garden State Parkway would be more like torture than anything approaching fun (to me). The trick is to start your trip by heading due West, then drop down through Upstate NY and head SW thru PA from there.

I'm not sure what my exact ride plans to EOM will be yet. It's too far out to even contemplate. And the trip to JoCy is a bit further than it was to Lewisburg, so I'll probably use some of the less heavily traveled interstates away from the coast to make-up time in some sections. But it will probably be something like that, arriving on Friday evening.
What Fredw said. I've been to EOM the last three and I take 2 days to get down. I usually ride out 84 and get the highway out of the way on day 1.

Thanks, Fred and Alan, for your input.Planning on retracing my commuting days to Atlanta (more or less).

Sull
Sorry, Dan. Unless a miracle happens and I can get my old job back, the screws are pretty well in the coffin for me for EOM for this year. Otherwise, I'd be happy to do a caravan.

Thanks, Fred and Alan, for your input.Planning on retracing my commuting days to Atlanta (more or less).

Sull
Sorry, Dan. Unless a miracle happens and I can get my old job back, the screws are pretty well in the coffin for me for EOM for this year. Otherwise, I'd be happy to do a caravan.
You could seriously take advantage of that situation and do some moto-camping. Do whatever it takes for some cash, mow lawns, pick up bottles and cans, stand at a busy exit ramp with some old ratty clothes and a cardboard sign. This is my plan, and it only costs a couple of gas tanks a day and eat off the dollar menu at Mcdonalds...

:clapping: :clapping:

I had already scheduled my vacation for this week. Perhaps I will make my way down to JC TN by way of BRP. We will see.

Maybe it was providence that made me sign up to this sight.

Jeff

I am looking forward to attending this years OEM in Johnson City. I only live an hour away, have ridden all over the area (TN, KY, VA, NC), and can help with mapping out some loop rides if needed.

Contact me at [email protected]

See everyone in September!

:clapping: :clapping:
I had already scheduled my vacation for this week. Perhaps I will make my way down to JC TN by way of BRP. We will see.

Maybe it was providence that made me sign up to this sight.

Jeff
Several closures currently on the Parkway, two of which will be open by late spring, one slated to continue until November.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm is a good site to see the closures currently in effect.

I'll be there! woooo hoooooo I love that area!

Rob

All right Rob!

This is looking good for me this year, had to forfeit for moose hunting last year.

All right Rob!This is looking good for me this year, had to forfeit for moose hunting last year.
GASP! Brad, is that you?

Bet the moose hunting in Florida is smokin'!

Hey Heidi, still kickin", I"ve been hanging out at traditional archery sites lately. My latest obsession.

My neihbor at camp in Maine brought me along for his moose hunt last year. Got a nice bull.

Still riding the feej every day, it'll be good to see everyone again.

I don't get to check FJR Forum as much as I would like, so I feel a bit behind the times. However, I am glad to see that the EOM is going to be in Johnson City, because I plan to be there!!!

Tennessee, Tennessee, there ain't no place I'd rather be.Baby won't you carry me... back to Tennessee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just happy to let everyone know that I moved here from Dallas in November. Grew up here in Kingsport / Johnson City area and I can let you know the roads are awesome. Looking forward to EOM.

slapnpop - Crazy Cajun burned to the ground a few months ago...

Sonny's Marina is a cool place to get a bite to eat and a frosty beverage as well...

Seriously, I've ridden 585 miles in a day trip to laconia and back. with pit stops and such and I enjoyed it thoroughly and wasn't sore or stiff (much). So...... It's about 875 miles from me to EOM2009 which I figure is about 13.5 to 14.5 hours of riding. Am I kidding myself that I can hop on and do it with a few pit stops here and there. Or am I setin' up to get myself killed, and should just plan a 2 day commute down there?
The evil genius in me just kicked in. I may just stick to plan A up there and adjust my route to what Fred and Cota suggested and also make the math work out on the miles so I can use this ride for a saddlesore 1000. Who better to be my finish witnesses than a group of friends from this forum? So what say you gang, will y'all sign my log and vouch to the I.B.A. for me? :yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.