Oil check in sight glass

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronomian

Reaction score
I checked the oil using the sight glass and it is either filled to the brim which the glass does not show it to the second dot, or it is empty. Looks more like it is filled. I watched the mech during the oil change and he filled it, ran it for a bit and filled it to the second mark. Now I can't see the level. I guess I could drain it a bit and see what happens.

Mike

I am sure yours is full. It would be pretty obvious if it was empty. One way to check - turn on your engine and look at the sight glass. You should see NO oil while engine is running. Then turn it off and watch the level come up, more than likely past the top of the sight glass. No big deal. Is it possible you are checking the level different than the mech did?

Oil level seems to like to rise for whatever reason. I usually only fill mine 2/3 of the way up between the lower and upper mark.

My opinion? How you fill/check the level is critical. Per the manual, put the FJR up on the centerstand while the engine is running. Only turn off the engine after the bike is up on the centerstand. Wait a few minutes and check the level. That is the only way to get consistent results.

Do NOT shut off the engine, and then put the FJR on the centerstand to check the level. It does make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
i miss my dip stick!!!
Yeah, castration'll do that :p The engine oil level indicator is no better, no worse than the sight glass, just a different way of indicating the same thing. Skoots right (can't believe I said that again) on this one, it's all in the procedure 'lameasswinkyfacethingamabob'

Make shirr the floor is level,It makes a difference.

My opinion? How you fill/check the level is critical. Per the manual, put the FJR up on the centerstand while the engine is running. Only turn off the engine after the bike is up on the centerstand. Wait a few minutes and check the level. That is the only way to get consistent results.
Do NOT shut off the engine, and then put the FJR on the centerstand to check the level. It does make a difference.
Wouldn't this mean that some amount of oil is going to stay up top and not drain down? I'm just asking cause with my previous bike that would happen and you could easily over fill it.

With it you had to let it sit on the side stand for a minute or two so that oil could drain down, then put it on the center stand to get a level reading.

If the Fejer drains better then I dunno...

This is another reason to change your own oil. You can can figure out where full is on your site glass because you put in "the right amount" and know where full is. :D

Wouldn't this mean that some amount of oil is going to stay up top and not drain down? I'm just asking cause with my previous bike that would happen and you could easily over fill it.

With it you had to let it sit on the side stand for a minute or two so that oil could drain down, then put it on the center stand to get a level reading.

If the Fejer drains better then I dunno...

This is another reason to change your own oil. You can can figure out where full is on your site glass because you put in "the right amount" and know where full is. :D
Well, yes, it means that some will not drain down unless tilted on the sidestand. But since the procedure I gave is the procedure described in the owner's manual, well.....I would say that is the correct way, wouldn't you agree? And absolutely no worries about over filling if following that procedure.

Well duh, I would suggest you check it on the center stand... But I wouldn't necessarily suggest you put it on the center stand while running. But that's just me. Get it up there first then start it up. Enough people have enough trouble as it is getting their bikes on the center stand.

The manual does say, put it on the center stand, start it up, warm it up, shut it off, let the oil drain then check it.

My only point was on my previous bike that wouldn't be enough. Enough oil would be stuck up top to give you a false reading. Apparently that's not an issue here. You had to let it drain on the side stand first, or you'd get a false reading.

But if it's good enough for Mama-Yama, I'm good with that.

:yahoo:

Huh....I felt kinda gay reading this whole thread. Must be the coors light I'm drinkin. :blink:

I am sure yours is full. It would be pretty obvious if it was empty. One way to check - turn on your engine and look at the sight glass. You should see NO oil while engine is running. Then turn it off and watch the level come up, more than likely past the top of the sight glass. No big deal. Is it possible you are checking the level different than the mech did?
Oil level seems to like to rise for whatever reason. I usually only fill mine 2/3 of the way up between the lower and upper mark.

I did this and it worked, thanks all for the input. Oil level is a tad lower than I would like but well within operating perameters.

Mike

i miss my lameasswinkyfacethingamabob?
There's this one posted elsewhere.
gayfight.gif

Butt this one's also good:
bananahump-slvrathlon.gif

So yesterday I went in to buy oil and filters for my change and the dealer offered to change my oil for me while I waited because they've messed up my bike a few times in the past. :angry2:

They changed it and now the oil level is slightly above the top mark?

Do I need to drain some of this shit out? Is it an issue on this bike?

-r

So yesterday I went in to buy oil and filters for my change and the dealer offered to change my oil for me while I waited because they've messed up my bike a few times in the past. :angry2:
They changed it and now the oil level is slightly above the top mark?

Do I need to drain some of this shit out? Is it an issue on this bike?

-r
on my bike I added a tad too much oil - and the oil light would come on for the first mile or so after start up - first ride of the morning.

Drained a cup or so and the light went out....

or I could have just unplugged the idiot light (idiot's solution)