Oil for long distance riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
This post will soon be moving to 'Never-Ending, Pointless, etc'. But I did searches before I decided to post.

I read many times that 'oil is oil', basically, as long as you get good stuff and change it regularly. I do that.

But... I'm getting ready to go riding. I'll be on the road for about 6k miles, TX to MN and back, long way around. I am sure that I could find a place that wanted to do a quick (really quick!) oil change, but I'm hoping to do the change before I leave and have some really used oil when I get back.

Long distance, mostly pretty set throttle. Is there an oil that really might be better than some others for that sort of engine use?

Should go for a single weight? My understanding is that something like 10w-40 is '10' when cold, to make it easier to start, and '40' when hot, for lubrication. I'm not worried so much about cold starting for this trip in May and June.

I use Mobil1 10w-40, easy to get at Costco and fairly inexpensive there. I know everyone has something they like, and that is what they use. Is there an oil that lots of different people would just hands down say: This really is the best for what you are planning, then go back to what you usually use.

Synthetic appropriate grade oil will be FINE for 6,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about as many as 10,000 miles done over a short time span as long as you aren't beating the hell out of it with long high-speed runs at high ambient temperatures.

Running the oil for 4,000 or 5,000 miles with a lot of short runs around town over a period of many weeks or months is harder on it than your trip is likely to be.

Mobil 1 is my GOOD oil, Rotella T4 is my cheap oil, and usually I blend them 50/50 and change it every 5k.

Just use the Mobil 1 for 6k and you will be aces.

Also, wait for a month or so... the ice is still melting up here.
rolleyes.gif

Any good synthetic is what you want for extending oil changes. In general, the viscosity of a synthetic will remain more consistent over longer miles than a conventional oil.

I always use Mobil 1 15W50, and never change it any earlier than 5k miles. 6k miles would be absolutely no problem, and did that on my cross country trip. Or, as Ross said, even up to ~10k miles it should be fine.

I read many times that 'oil is oil', basically, as long as you get good stuff and change it regularly. I do that.
You answered your question all by yourself!

Psst....people on this forum that put 300,000+ miles on their FJR including 13,000+ miles without an oil change did the exact same thing.

Ride more, stress less.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha dealer in Burleson recommends and uses 20W-50 for our warmer DFW climate.

That Motorsex stuff makes great lube I hear, but who has sex with their motor? Damn kinky Swiss, that's who!

edit - The reason KTM recommends Motorsex oil is because they don't make KTM brand oil and Motorsex has an orange cap. ;)

As for the "W40" or "W50" in the XXW40 or XXW50 oils, Yamaha recommends oil weights for the FJR engine per the below scientific ambient temperature / viscosity chart:

2013EngineOilSpecs.jpg

You can clearly see that the first number affects only the cold end of the temp range, while the 2nd number affect how hot the ambient can be. Unless you plan on starting your bike at below freezing temps then 10W oils are not needed. 15W or 20W will suffice. The advantage of a W50 oil over a W40 oil is only 10 degrees ambient. But I call BS since this is a liquid cooled engine it will run at the same internal temperature regardless of the outside ambient.

So there you go. It doesn't really matter.

Dont waste your time. I ran mobil 1 4t for 8200 miles in august on a 3 week trip. It shifted better when I got home than when I left.

Also, wait for a month or so... the ice is still melting up here.
rolleyes.gif
LOL who ya kidding Roger? The lakes will be iced over at least till the end of July.
cold.gif

But what do we care? We still ride around in our khaki shorts and flip flops.

As Ross stated, it's the short rides, starting and stopping over a longer period of time that's hardest on oils. Long rides over a shorter period of time not so much.

X001.jpg
Quit fooling around with the cheap oil and buy the whale jiz from the Swiss at 65 bucks for 4 L

You're welcome
smile.png
Ach du Leiber! Das ist TEUER! I don't think I'll be getting that. Not unless I'm in Switzerland.
Outta likes...but that's about what I said when I bought my KTM. Runs just fine on Rotell T6 syn. I spend all the money I save on premium gas :(

Change it every 1000 just to be sure. Seriously, do what the book says and ride.

In reality, 6000 is probably 50 percent worn out. I bet if you sent it for analysis it wound test fine.

Ride, eat, take some pics, make up some lies, post it back here.

Decided to use Rotella T6 5W40 up here in my slightly cooler climate. My friends and I have been known to go for day rides when its only about +8 Celsius (~46 Fahrenheit), but that doesn't sound like your situation at this point in our season. Enjoy man, time is short...

Synthetic appropriate grade oil will be FINE for 6,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about as many as 10,000 miles done over a short time span as long as you aren't beating the hell out of it with long high-speed runs at high ambient temperatures.
Running the oil for 4,000 or 5,000 miles with a lot of short runs around town over a period of many weeks or months is harder on it than your trip is likely to be.
^THIS^

I've known peeps who sent there oil off to labs, 'n it was fine at 10,000 mi. I go 5K mi w/ the FJR, just cuz it's convenient, but even my hi maintenance, unreliable, fragile, POS Bring Mor Wallet recommended 6K oil changes.

Just keep it under 10K rpm 'n you'll b fine. ;)

My Can Am spyder has oil change intervals at 9300 miles and the Wing is 8000. Both get Delo 400 15-40. 6000 on any good oil is a non issue.:) :)

Like you said .... oil is oil.1 Change it every 10,000 miles and don't waste your time worrying.

1 Provided, of course, that it meets the specs in the owner's manual.