Oil Light on...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbmwscoot

Reaction score
So a week or so ago I did the initial break in engine oil and filter change (throttle synch too....fuk that #2 vacuum port cap)!

After putting on the new filter and filling w/ oil, I always run the engine to fill the filter and check for leaks, etc.

It was fine....no oil light, etc.

Oil level perfect.

Then, the next day, when heading out for a ride, the oil light comes on about half of the normal brightness level...a block or two from home.

Pulled over, checked level and for leaks...none.

So it was back to the garage to do some head scratching.

The only thing I could think of was to put on a new filter...so I did that.

Put on about 250 miles now, no light, no noises...everything's fine.

WTF, bad valve in first filter? :unsure:

I have done a ton of O&F changes on the cages and scoots...this is a first.

Maybe just a phantom light as the oil light is only an oil level sensor, not oil pressure sensor. I'm thinking it might have never returned even without changing the oil filter.

May just be semiconducting grunge on the sensor connections. Check out the business end of the cable where it goes to the sensor. Clean and sry it.

You can do a couple things. One just to be safe replace the oil filter, etc, to make sure you are OK. Or, get into the dash (not too fun) and replace the oil light bulb. Could also be the sending unit or sensor that is bad. The manual might help you trouble shoot the sensor.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just a phantom light as the oil light is only an oil level sensor, not oil pressure sensor. I'm thinking it might have never returned even without changing the oil filter.
Yup, I was just assuming it was a pressure sensor, thanks!

Afa, it just being a simple switch in the oil pan sending to ground when closed, I think I'll just keep an eye on the oil sight level glass for now.

May just be semiconducting grunge on the sensor connections. Check out the business end of the cable where it goes to the sensor. Clean and sry it.
I was just in the manual (and under the bike) looking at this.

The oil level switch just seems to have one long wire potted into the switch ass'y. It does not look to have an external connection down by the pan, unless I am missing something while standing on my head.

The long lead seems just to route up into the bike harness above the engine somewhere.

I'm assuming the switch just completes a path to ground (oil pan), and the light comes on.

If I want to get further into this, I'll have to pull some tupperware. But for now, I'm just trusting the oil sight glass for level checks, and the oil light is not malfunctioning any more.

If this comes up again (albeit, a little less intermittently), hell it's still under warranty.

xbmwscoot,

other than the light being at half brightness, you're not alone!

A number of members have reported (myself included) the oil light coming on after an oil change. Nobody has ever come up with a definitive reason why.

Most reported the oil light coming on after the first mile or so, then going out after another mile or so down the road. The consensus was if it happens, check your oil level and if good, "get out and ride the bike to the next oil change". I know, not much of an answer. I think its only a Gen2 issue also.

The 2 times it has happened to me, both times the light didn't reoccur after the next oil change.

xbmwscoot,

A number of members have reported (myself included) the oil light coming on after an oil change. Nobody has ever come up with a definitive reason why.

Most reported the oil light coming on after the first mile or so, then going out after another mile or so down the road. The consensus was if it happens, check your oil level and if good, "get out and ride the bike to the next oil change". I know, not much of an answer. I think its only a Gen2 issue also.

The 2 times it has happened to me, both times the light didn't reoccur after the next oil change.
Yup, I am headed in the direction of you guys way of thinking. My light did not come on in the garage after the change at all while checking for leaks after the oil and filter change. It came on the next day (like you guys stated) after heading out for a ride, a few blocks down the road.

Not sure why I thought it was an oil PRESSURE indicator, but I wish it were in a way. Like Brodie said, I can (and DO) check oil level before heading out. But it would be nice to know instantly of an oil pressure failure. You can have 4 quarts in the pan, but if the pump fails it ain't gonna do you no good down there.

As far as the reply to take it to the dealer...this is an intermittent problem, which now I am learning sometime only occurs after changing oil.

I think the dealer would have a hard time finding THAT one. Especially since this same dealer left BOTH my upper triple clamp pinch bolts loose after doing the ignition switch recall. You might understand why I will be doing a lot of the required maint. myself now. :ermm:

And, why I have little faith in the dealer's ability to find ANYTHING wrong...'cept maybe a blown engine that is staring him in the face. :rolleyes:

I think that it has to do with the oil filter. My '06 does it from time to time. Always goes away a mile or so into the first ride after change. Does not occur again after that.

-GSE-

Just for grins, did you add 4 quarts of oil when you changed it, or the four liters of oil that is called for? That .25 quart will be just enough to make the light come on now and then if you only added 4 quarts instead of 4.25 quarts.

xbmwscoot,

I had this happen on my '05 a couple times. Wasn't after an oil change that I can remember. Checked the sight glass, it went out after a couple minutes, so kept on truckin'. no worries, that was a while ago.

I believe one theory that was going around, for the cause of a start-up oil light, was a cold engine pumping cool/cold oil to the upper/innards of the engine, still a little viscous, and the oil level sensor just slightly adjusted for the lowest acceptable limit just being tripped. As the engine warmed, the oil gets a little more flow-able, the heated oil expands just a smidgen and the sensor resets to an adequate level reading.