Okay, NOW I'm PISSED!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is truly touching and heart warming to watch as fellow FJR riders gather around one of their brethrin who has a problem and offer him the assistance he so badly requires.

Anyone have a tissue:

spotted_hyena_crocuta_crocuta_pack_feeding_on_blue_wildebeest_connochaetes_taurinus_calf_seren_114965_zps7bd8aad2.jpg

I'll worry about it Monday, leave it on the 'tender all weekend and see how she starts Sunday.
The definition of an optimist! Attempting to bring a near-flat-lined-10-year-old-battery back from the dead.
punk.gif
So, you see what we're dealing with here, Denver? That's right! He's going to charge a dead 10 year old battery. I rest my case, Your Honor.... Bring the straight jacket... And don't forget the electric prods.... :)
He will jump start it with the electric prods!
He'll try his best! It's Howie for Christ's Sake! :))
Just remember this RadioHowie, it is always better to be pissed off than to be pissed on; unless of course you are HotRodZilla, AJ kind of likes "Golden Showers"! JSNS!

Okay, okay...enough jocularity for a moment.....

After a night on the 'tender, she fires right up! Like the battery is new (well, just shy of 11 years new, anyway).

Sure, the battery is probably toast, but it's surprising how well it took a charge and fired right up.

I'm thinking I may have a charging system issue instead, since my "no start" issue yesterday followed about a 45 minute ride home from work with a quick stop and then the no-start. Guess I coulda been running off my battery the previous 45 minutes if the charging system ain't up to snuff anymore. Gonna have to shotgun the system now. Damn.

Go ahead and shotgun, Howie. But, buy a new battery and have it sitting about 6 feet from the bike so you can reach out and install it and watch you're problem go away! :)

After a night on the 'tender, she fires right up! Like the battery is new (well, just shy of 11 years new, anyway).

Sure, the battery is probably toast, but it's surprising how well it took a charge and fired right up.
It's not a realistic test to disconnect the charger and then press the starter. A more realistic scenario would be to let it sit for 24 hours and then attempt a start. Better yet, a load test, or at least put a DVM on it and watch the voltage drop during start.

Go ahead and shotgun, Howie. But, buy a new battery and have it sitting about 6 feet from the bike so you can reach out and install it and watch you're problem go away! :)
6 feet away? More like keep it in the saddle bag with tools. That battery has given above and beyond service, give it a proper burial at the recycler. Sure, you might coax another month or so out of it, but replace it now and you won't be leaving much on the table.

It's not a realistic test to disconnect the charger and then press the starter. A more realistic scenario would be to let it sit for 24 hours and then attempt a start. Better yet, a load test, or at least put a DVM on it and watch the voltage drop during start.

6 feet away? More like keep it in the saddle bag with tools. That battery has given above and beyond service, give it a proper burial at the recycler. Sure, you might coax another month or so out of it, but replace it now and you won't be leaving much on the table.
6 feet is right about where the work bench will be from the bike. Just a guesstimation. That's where mine is... :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - yeah - yeah....laugh it up, ya buncha mooks!

Cranked up fine again today. It only goes dead after I've been riding for a while. Gonna have to run the sequence on the charging system, fer sure!

I have a battery I can send you.. It's currently installed on my riding mower and working great!~
flirt.gif

Yeah, sure...what you've probably trashed the mower 3 or 4 times, but the battery's fine???
Real damn nice RadioHowie, poor old dcarver has wadded up an FJR (or 4!) and you have to go out and bust his balls! Stop picking on the short bus kids, OK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday morning report....

FIred right up this morning, just like Sat & Sun. Rode to work as per usual. Will see what happens this afternoon when it's "goin' home" time.

Yuasa YTX14-BS available from Amazon.com (thanks Jasen) for $70. That's a damn good price for a Yuasa!