On the hunt - gloves and boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TCX (formerly Oxtar) Air-Tech boots

TCX Air Tech Boots

After struggling with a couple pairs of supposedly waterproof boots of short and tall height, I was about to drop major bucks on new Sidi boots. Then it occurred to me that the Oxtar Air Techs I use for Summer riding, are supposed to be waterproof too. It's now nearly a full year later and I'll be damned, they really ARE waterproof. I've even gone creek wading with them several times and never had a drop of water on my foot.

They don't get much air on a FJR, but the little bit they do pass into your foot is very nice in all seasons.

Gloves - I have a bunch of them. I even have the 3-toe sloth cover things too. My hands still get wet in long rain rides. It's nearly impossible for me to prevent water from running down my arms into the gloves somehow.

I recommend wearing rubbers under the gloves you don't mind getting wet.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for boots as well. Protection is my primary concern. However I have a narrow foot, ( B) and all the boots I've ever tried to buy are too wide. Even two pairs of socks too wide.
Anybody know of a good boot that is available in different widths?

thanks in advance.
I have an 'A' width foot (very narrow) and my TM Soultions fit me pretty well. they don't come in any special width but I got them a half size smaller, and replaced the insoles with some thick red wings brand ones. My toes are just short of the ends, no touching but they wrap nicely around my feet.

Have you tried womens boots? Seroiusly, don't laugh. I have bought womens running shoes before. they fit amazingly well for 'off the rack'. Standard mens width is a D. womens is a C or sometimes a BB. My wife and i both own the same pair of Tourmasters and they only way I can tell them apart is size.

Have you tried womens boots? Seroiusly, don't laugh.
Look, so long we're talking boots, you're OK. Move onto other women's garments and you should consider a different forum. ;)

Being serious for a moment, great tip for those with smaller feet!

We may also grant a discussion pass if anyone wants to discuss stylish scarves for scootering...

For waterproof boots, I'll vouch for Sidi Tepor's. Did anyone mention that it rained at SFO? Hunnerds of miles in rain for 3 days, my feet never, ever got even remotely wet.

Gloves, on the other hand... I'm still looking for something that's waterproof. I recently bought a pair of Harley's FXRG gloves. So far I really like them - they're very comfortable, not too hot in 80-ish-degree weather, offer decent protection (leather outer with armor on the knuckles and fingers), and they're GoreTex, so hopefully they're waterproof.

We're looking at a 525 mile ride home tomorrow, and we're riding into a 60% chance of rain, so I may be able to let you know how waterproof the gloves are tomorrow.

Ride safe,

BG

Get the Daytona Road Star Gortex and don't look back.

file_23_29.jpg

I personally have 3 sets of gloves. A summer glove, an all purpose 3 season glove, and a lite winter glove that replaced my heavier Tourmaster Winter Elite glove.

Powerlet Heated Sports Gloves

gloves_PHG-400_4_400.jpg

Tourmaster Winter Elite Glove

tourmaster_winter_elite_gloves.jpg

BOOTS: Aerostich Combat Lites. They are made by SIDI and have good support and soles. They take a while to break in.

For a follow-up on the MoCo's FXRG gloves.

Yes, they are waterproof.

We hit some serious rain yesterday coming home.

My hands stayed dry. I did get a wee little bit of moisture coming in the opening of the gloves, but I didn't have the cinch-thingies cinched as tight as I coulda. Once I cinched 'em, and we hit REALLY heavy rain, my hands stayed dry. I have Grip Puppies as well, and those things are like sponges.

I'm liking 'em.

Time to wake this thread up again.

I like the Oxtars except the seem wimpy on upper foot protection.

and I always wear out the toes first, dragging in corners.

Any suggestions for boots that have replaceable toes?

DPF trolling? :rolleyes:
Not really, but I've got thick toes, err, skin. Actually, I wear out the toes first.. thought some boots might have replaceable soles, like dirt bike boots do. I see the SM5's have little sole around the toe, and the consumable parts aren't what I drag.

DPF trolling? :rolleyes:
Not really, but I've got thick toes, err, skin. Actually, I wear out the toes first.. thought some boots might have replaceable soles, like dirt bike boots do. I see the SM5's have little sole around the toe, and the consumable parts aren't what I drag.

Ah, OK. When you said "wearing out the toes" I thought you meant the leather tops, not the soles...

But since it's Friday the 13th... :fuck: anyway!!

:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've become a huge fan of the Gore-Tex, zip up tactical boots by Bates. The ones with the non-metallic, reinforced toe and shank. They are not motorcycle specific boots but they may as well be as the have all the right stuff. However, they're much less expensive, all day comfortable for work and have the added benefit of a blood resistant sole!

Do NOT get Tourmaster Response boots. While these 3/4 boots are extremely comfortable and waterproof, their soles are very soft. I wore a pair out in 3 MONTHS (no, I don't drag my feet when riding). Replaced under warranty but the new pair's soles are also wearing smooth. As a result, on wet pavement they are slippery and just plain dangerous.

Tourmaster makes great stuff, some of which I have, but I'm very disappointed with their boots.

Oxtar Matrix boots, bought new in 05 with the bike. Creek wading waterproof and so grippy when you first get them that you can trip over yourself in the dry and they stick almost as well in the wet. 90K miles later they are still serving me well.