Operation Smoothness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Well, I bought this 07 AE knowing about the throttle issue, but I figured I could ride around it and if not, then the fixes are well published. So I bought it anyway.

After several weeks of fighting with the throttle and the herky jerky clutch motion I was having serious second thoughts about my purchase. But my FZ1 sold so I had a small amount of money from that sale I could funnel to the FJR before paying off some medical bills. I decided I'm gonna fix this thing.

G2 or PCIII? That is the question. I decided, screw it, I ain't jacking around with this, let's go big guns and whole hog so I ordered both.

Nothing like a little get to know the new bike quite like stripping it down to pieces. My family thinks I'm nuts but it is good time spent with the bike.

2012-04-23195234.jpg

First thing I went after was a clutch soak. This was delayed a day due to my wife finding a bed on craigslist for my son all the way across town. Then we found the mattress we had wouldn't fit so we spent some more money fixing that problem and now my son is quite happy. I must say it's a proud day in a grown up geeks life when the Star Wars bedding is allowed to return to the house.

IMG_7301.jpg

Ok, so back to motorcycle stuff. Clutch soak...right. This went without a hitch. Tearing into it.

2012-04-22004038.jpg

And here I am fighting against whatever is inside of me that will not allow me to be organized. I envy those of you who are methodical and organized by nature and also envy your nice neat garages.

2012-04-22005937.jpg

With that complete, it was time to tackle the throttle body sync. I dragged out my Morgan Carbtune Pro and went to work. Second time I've used this tool since buying it. Considering shop costs, I'm sure it's now paid for itself. Then I did the throttle spring unwind. Rather than go the suggested method of letting it zip around on it's own at light speed, I figured I'd try a more controlled method. I came to this conclusion from hearing stories about it zipping around more than once sometimes. I figured control is better. So, with some safety wire bent in half with a nice kink and then wrapped around a socket extender for a handle (wasn't sure how much tension I'd be fighting here and didn't want to trust sweaty hands on safety wire) I went to work. Oddly, my plan worked perfectly exactly as designed. I allowed the spring to move around in a controlled fashion.

2012-04-23171457.jpg

2012-04-23171354.jpg

2012-04-23171345.jpg

Now, having spoken to the previous owner (Steel) he'd never done the throttle spring unwind. I'm not sure if the dealer did it on a service or maybe the sling around at light speed is the better method, but my success was to be thwarted. After letting the spring go 90% of the way around I let it be free, and it just kind of sat there, with a gap between it and the hook it's supposed to be sitting against. Eventually it stretched its way against the hook but it feels very light. In addition a later test ride showed that while letting go of the grip at full throttle with the bike off will allow it to snap home, letting go at small throttle openings doesn't bring it home. I played around and tested and my tool will also work to rewind the spring. I'm going to let it go for now and see if it gets any better but I've already got plans to rewind it back.

Then time spent routing wires and such to install my PCIIIusb and some assistance from my wonderful wife on getting the stock heated grips off the old tube and onto the sweet G2 with delrin inserts. While I had everything off, I ran my "Wiring kit" for my fuzeblock I got on the group buy. I need to buy an inline fuse holder and figure out where exactly I wish to mount it and then that will be the next project. I also dropped in my Autocom that'll be wired up through the fuzeblock just to test fitment.

2012-04-24214834.jpg

Nothing more to do at this point than to button everything back up. I managed to have zero left over bolts so that was good. After getting it reassembled I suited up and went for a ride.

Oh wow, like a totally different bike. So smooooooooth. My lack of confidence in the bike going into a turn going from off throttle to on is gone and replaced with a huge grin on my face. I am now ready to start really loving this bike.

So, there ya go FJRForum, is that a proper amount of farkling for a guy with a new to him FJR? :D I think I'm pretty much done for now. Well, except for needing to get a Givi. I can't keep hauling my work laptop back and forth to work in a backpack. I miss my Givi I had for my FZ1 but I want a bigger one. Once I get that, that'll do it. Well, I do plan to buy some of the wynpro block off plates because I want to get in there and check the valves and I'd really rather remove the plumbing at the same time. But that'll do it. Ok, so maybe some highway pegs. I do need a newer GPS. And a radar detector too. Yea...and...and....oh crap, it's started!

Side note. I just want to say thanks to this great forum. Normally any one of these tasks left to my mechanical skills (or lack thereof) would have resulted in some kind of disaster, me shouting words my three year old doesn't need to know, and a tool embedded into the garage wall at a very high velocity. I can say that everything went smoothly and without a hitch. This means one of two things. Either my bike is going to go up in a fireball on my way to work tomorrow morning, or it's due to reading and rereading every "How to" writeup on this board. Lots of posts were helpful, but thanks especially to mcatrophy for the clutch soak tutorial, and to warchild for his zillion "How to" docs. Those were used for everything from plastic removal to tank removal to TBS to PCIII install and wiring routing. Those were key but also helped along by a bunch of other posts and pieces of advice I dug up along the way. Thanks guys!

Ok, group hug over, back to your normally scheduled program. :D

Glad you got it sorted and are finding the 'love'.

When prospective owners ask me what year to get, I tell them if buying a Gen II get an 08 or later for specifically the issues you had. I know they can be fixed as you obviously did, but it would be nice when buying an new (used) FJR to be able to enjoy it without having to throw $$$$ or time at it.

But at least those issues can be remedied allowing the high SEG* factor.

* SEG = Shit Eating Grin

You've only been here a short time Jasen but I've really enjoyed your contributions. Keep it up!

After reading "In addition a later test ride showed that while letting go of the grip at full throttle with the bike off will allow it to snap home, letting go at small throttle openings doesn't bring it home." I suggest removing the throttle tube off of the right handlebar, clean the bar end & inside of the throttle tube, lubricate the bar, reinstall.

I noticed after I had unwound the throttle spring on my FJR,it seemed lazy in the return action, found out after removing the throttle tube that the issue was whatever was used at Yamaha for lubricant had turned to a "gummy" substance, causing the throttle not to move freely. Once cleaned & lubed with some lithium grease, worked great!

I'll have to check that, however, watching the spring action, it's definitely a lazy spring. But that's a good tip.

As much as I'd loved to have picked up an 08, that was beyond my hard limit for purchase price for every one that I saw out there. All in on this one with the fix I'm not too bad. I got the PCIIIusb used from here so that softened the blow, and as far as doing the work...meh, it was fun, so no $$$ lost. I'm still far ahead of what I'd have likely paid for an 08. But yes, that's the way to go if it's in the cards for you.

I've been here a short time? Heck, I've been here over two years! That's long in forum land sometimes. I just wasn't very active till recently. :D Thanks though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed the PC V on Dad's '07. Wow, what a difference! This is how it should have come from the factory. Let me join gixxerjasen in thanking the rest of the forum for all the helpful opinions and info.

Nice job Jason! I also have an 07 (manual shift). My Bike also has the on off throttle syndrome. My question is did u just use the map that was pre installed in the pc or did you have to get a map from someone? I have made one adjustment of the FI using the barbarian jumper mod (+5) but I still have too touchy throttle. Have not tried the G2 yet. thanks Jim :huh:

The PC V we installed was on an '07 standard clutch version and we bought it from FuelMoto. They loaded it with their map. They asked what mods I had made (none) and what I intended to do and what I needed. This made the throttle pickup very smooth.

jryan, the answer is yes. :D

My question is did u just use the map that was pre installed in the pc
Yes.

or did you have to get a map from someone?
Yes.

Generally the Power Commanders come loaded with the zero map...ie, one that does nothing. At least that's been my experience in the past. They'll usually have a few generic maps for generic setups, and will work ok. Ideally you'd go get a custom one made but that's pricey. Now with the auto tune module for the PCV, it'll do it on it's own...so cool!

But I did none of this. Actually, the reason my answers to your questions were yes on both accounts is because I bought the PCIIIusb from a board member here. He already had the Wally Smoothness map converted by Useless Pickles for the Gen II (apparently two awesome gents) loaded on the Power Commander. So, yea, I ran the one that was on there, and it's one I got from someone else. :D

I decided to not screw around with one or the other and see what made what difference so I could comment on the benefit of the G2 vs the PCIII. From what I've read, it's very subjective and folks will go both ways on that issue. My goal wasn't to evaluate and pick a side, it was to fix the issue good and for all and get down to loving riding the bike. And happily, I think I've accomplished that. :D

Redfish Hunter, glad you and your dad had success. I have no ideal how the 06 FZ1 and 06 FJR got a seal of approval to roll off the assembly lines like this. I'm quite glad that I didn't buy an 06 in late 05 on a pre order basis to find this and have no sign of a cure at that point. If you dig back, there's some pretty frustrated posts on the subject. I'm quite glad I was able to whip out my credit card and have that issue licked in a week's time.

Gixxerjasen I really liked the way you posted your photos with the "story", when I was installing the PC I was cursing Yamaha's engineers for not leaving me room to work and for messing the damn thing up to begin with. I did not care about taking pics. We are going for a ride this morning to evaluate our installation. Dad's FJR usually gets 0.1 of a mpg less than my ST so we are going to fuel up together and compare any changes in fuel mileage. I may even try to race him just to see...Nevermind, I already know better!

Now, having spoken to the previous owner (Steel) he'd never done the throttle spring unwind. I'm not sure if the dealer did it on a service or maybe the sling around at light speed is the better method, but my success was to be thwarted. After letting the spring go 90% of the way around I let it be free, and it just kind of sat there, with a gap between it and the hook it's supposed to be sitting against. Eventually it stretched its way against the hook but it feels very light. In addition a later test ride showed that while letting go of the grip at full throttle with the bike off will allow it to snap home, letting go at small throttle openings doesn't bring it home. I played around and tested and my tool will also work to rewind the spring. I'm going to let it go for now and see if it gets any better but I've already got plans to rewind it back.
That's interesting because you're the first person I've read that tried the slow unwind to ensure only one turn, yet you ended up with the spring gap. I did the "pop it off the catch and let it whip around" method over 4 years and 60,000 miles ago and ended up with that same gap. Hearing others say that their spring still engaged the hook after the unwind led me to believe that maybe mine had done a double unwind, but now I'm not so sure.

I too have a more lazy return to idle, but it hasn't bothered me or caused any problems. I'll ditto the suggestion to ensure the throttle tube is lubed, but using grease won't help because it's too sticky for the weakened spring. I use Dri Slide, which is a dry film lubricant.

It's always fun being the first. :D Having read up a bunch on those whose went too far made me a bit cautious. The initial idea of getting in there to rewind it a turn was daunting and I figured I'd try to figure out a safer controlled method. Perhaps not the best idea given hindsight, who knows? I'm going to let it be for now and clean and lube the tube well and we'll see how it goes. I appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving though!

You are obviously happy with the results but I have some questions for you. Did the PC III affect the fuel economy, and if so for better or worse? Did you notice any difference in power? Did it affect the running temp of the bike? Any other side effects good or bad?

I ask because the PC V seemed to get better (slightly) fuel economy and Dad said he felt he had more torque than before. He also said that the temp indicator shows the bike running much cooler, I guess because it is running richer. The only negative was the mpg indication is now ridiculously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
mph or mpg is optimistic? It should have not affected mph but mpg will be affected for sure. Remember that the ECU tells the fuel injectors to inject a certain amount of fuel. Now you've put the PCV in between the ECU and the fuel injectors. The PCV will adjust based on the map installed the signal from the ECU to the fuel injectors to change the amount of fuel being injected. Because the ECU is computing mpg based on what it thinks is being used, it will definitely be off from what is actually being used.

Most folks notice a drop in mpg and looking at the smoothness map this is obvious why. Right in the cruising rpm range and throttle position it is adding up to 15% more fuel. Your map may be different as you got yours from your PCV reseller. Also the pace will change that as well. I'm not certain what your pace was to get over 50mpg but I'm guessing it's not the same as my 42mpg pace I use on the way back and forth to work.

That said, I haven't been through a full tank of fuel yet since installing the PCIII. Just filled up yesterday so I'll see something later this next week perhaps.

OK, I messed up, I meant to type mpg not mph. I only took typing in high school because I thought the class would be full of girls...As did all the other guys that were in there also. But I am getting sidetracked. I had read that the fuel economy readout would be off for the reasons you just gave, and it was. The speedometer was not affected, obviously. The tech support at Fuelmoto told me to leave the O2 sensor connected, the instructions with the PC say to disconnect it. We left it since the Fuelmoto guys had downloaded the map. They said that fuel economy might actually get better with their map which was different from what I had read about the PC III. I don't recall reading anything about fuel mileage with the PC V.

Obviously we were riding like two old men, we were not riding hard at all. I normally get 42-46 mpg with my ST going to work and around town, I seldom get better than 48-49 when we are on a trip. The fuel economy actually surprised us both.

When you get a chance, let me know about my other questions please, I did not expect to get such good results from this one piece of electronics. I have a couple of thoughts on this fix. 1. It is easy to repair, all you have to do is throw money at it. 2. If it is that easy, why didn't Yamaha get it right to begin with? (Emission regulations, I know)

Haven't noticed any real difference in running temp and power might be up a bit I suppose. I haven't really been romping on it much to test, just running back and forth to work mostly. Again, I had Monday off from work and the bike was still in pieces on Tuesday, so I only really rode it Wed, Thur and Fri. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm happy with the throttle now because it was downright awful before.

Why did Yamaha get it wrong? Your guess is as good as mine. Mine is that all their engineers had their heads up their collective asses because as with the newly redesigned FJR in 06, the newly redesigned FZ1 in 06 had the exact same issues.

I unwound my throttle spring one round and it is lazy near no throttle position. Mine acts just like yours. I have a MCruise Control and it makes the cruise hunt some because when it needs to slow down a bit, nothing happens; I have learned to gently help it twist close when I see this happening.

gj, your next farkle shoud be a Star Wars paint job. :D

Thanks for the post. Makes me realize that I really need a G2. Oh, and a better GPS and a.... Dammit, thought I was done farkling.

LOL, I saw a guy with a white burgman, he had some imperial stickers on it so it looked like a storm trooper bike. Don't know if I'm gonna do that, but my son was ecstatic that I bought a Star Wars video game last night.

I'm not certain the farkling is ever done.