Ophir Trail / Ophir Pass, southwest CO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
The end of July I'm going to be doing some riding with my son, as we do every year. I want to get him on the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray and then over to Telluride. I'm seriously considering taking Ophir Trail from US550 over Ophir Pass to Hwy 145. Does anyone have any personal experiences on this dirt road that they could share? Insight? Suggestions? Warnings? Ideas?

Clicky for my proposed route between Ouray and Telluride

MapCO0021.jpg

Looks interesting.

Wonder why all the Google references are from four wheel drive websites? Hmmmmmm.....

I have personally been on this road many times, but never on my FJR. I would not recommend attempting this. While it does not take 4wd to do it in a cage, it is very rough for about a 2 mile section (nasty scree field) and ground clearance is an issue. Paved roads to the north and south are outstanding (sans construction projects).

Believe me when I say this in all sincerity, there is no way in hell you should take an FJR over Ophir pass. If you put a gun to my head, and told me I'd have to take one of my children over that pass on the bike... I'd take the bullet.

How do I know this? Because I was stupid enough to do it on my FJR on the way to WFO-5, thanks to advice I got from a forum member who is no longer with us. Coming down on the western side of the pass I dropped the bike at slow speed 3 times, and if it hadn't been for two good samaritans who helped me by each taking a grab rail and walking the bike 2 miles down that god-forsaken shale shelf road with me going brake/slide/release... brake/slide/release, I'm pretty sure I would have A) gone over the edge and died, or B) had to leave the bike behind and hike out.

Don't do it. Word.

The following year on the way to WFO-6, I went on the path I should have taken. Go north past Ouray to Ridgeway, and go west on 62 to Placerville which puts you on 145. That's a fun road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do it. Word.
.... Go north past Ouray to Ridgeway, and go west on 62 to Placerville which puts you on 145. That's a fun road.
What Groo said....

The "back side of Telluride" are (were) some of the nicest roads in Colorado.

On the other hand, mapping programs (MS S&T) will often try to put you on the short mining roads between passes. If I was on a dual sport or a dirt bike, I might consider it. FJR.... nyet. You can Google Earth some of those passes, or just Google the name of the road. Usually there's lots of pics and descriptions of how treacherous some of those goat paths are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts