Orange is the new.... bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been raining too much around here to ride, may as well talk about it.

With a little over 7k miles on the new Versys 1000, 3 longish, multi-day trips, I can say it's a keeper.

OE BS evo back tire was done at 5200 miles, due to the mostly straight roads I have to travel and a tire that is not known for mileage. I put the same back on, it was cheap, waiting to see what the front would do. It'll be done around 8k (to be replaced with another) and I'll wear out one more rear evo before moving on the a longer lasting tire set.

Ergos have been nice for me. I've rotated the bars just a tad back, no biggie. No more numb hands like on the fjr. No vibes or heat to speak of.

Russell seat is a bit higher than stock, no problem for me however.

Madstad windshield is just marvelous. Adjustable tilt and height, adequate protection and good air flow when it's hot. Better aerodynamics, quieter and smoother than the CB was on the FJR. Traveling the slab at speed is not the torture it was on the fjr. Lot less turbulence and buffeting, but still only a necessary evil to get from A to B.

The chain is a bit more work on trips. It takes all of about 5 minutes to do a quick brush and lube ever day or 2. I can't really knock a shaft drive, but not having the almost 100 extra pounds is a big plus for me. Basically, a slightly smaller lighter motor, no electric windshield mech, and shaft/swing arm mass; make for a much lighter feeling and handling bike. Dirt, gravel, grass are not the big deal they used to be.

The liter motor has very good power, not the warp engine of the fjr, but plenty. Average mileage is a little better than the fjr on back roads (45-50), high speed slab about 40mpg. I may replace the 43t rear sprocket with a 41 when the chain is done. Other Versys owners have done it and noticed improved mileage with minimal negatives.

Thinking about suspension upgrades, not there yet.

Just need some mild Louisiana winter weather to come around for the holidays.

Glad you like the bike. Speaking of chains, I'm a big fan of Honda Pro Chain lube with moly. Goes on real clean and doesn't mark up your rear rim like many lubes do. About 10 bucks a can at the Honda shop or on line.

Correction, I did not have/ride a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT.
no.gif
All I had was a little (green) 650LT Versys..
bike.gif