Orville Dam- The Latest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this improve the scale?

17155349_10210269819653401_2585278379778701934_n.jpg

I had some NoCal friends arguing with me over the "lack of rebar" - they have had no idea of the scale of this thing.

I'm wondering, however, what exactly was underneath that concrete? Loose dirt? Did the weight of the water simply pound the surface enough to break it, leak thru, wash away the dirt? It looks paper-thin in these pics.

I'm no engineer, but I see no way to repair this without a MOUNTAIN of concrete directly over that bedrock.

Pretty impressive. Looking at this pic makes the slab look to be around 2 or 3 ft thick?

There must have been some material between the bedrock and the spillway when it was built. It's hard to believe that normal inspections didn't see this coming.....

Last edited by a moderator:
This product was built on a foundation known to the State of California to cause cancer ... but they built it anyway.

This product was built on a foundation known to the State of California to cause cancer ... but they built it anyway.
Good eye, green serpentine rock is common in the foothills of the Sierra's and is full of asbestos. It's all over the place around here.

Back in the 60's they didn't even have cancer causing lists, they just got the job done.

Lawrence Welk did it?

Actually, the cavitation theory makes sense. What does not make sense is the fact that the engineering community knew about this risk and modified spillways at many other dams to mitigate cavitation, but nothing was done at this huge, important, and dangerous dam.

I guess nobody thought that there would ever be enough rain in that part of the country to be a problem.

Lawrence Welk did it?
Actually, the cavitation theory makes sense. What does not make sense is the fact that the engineering community knew about this risk and modified spillways at many other dams to mitigate cavitation, but nothing was done at this huge, important, and dangerous dam.
I'd be willing to bet that the engineering community made their recommendations, they aren't completely clueless on stuff like this, but that the political funding / prioritization processes got in the way

Don't forget the short mixed concrete made to lesser specs than bid. Politicians appropriate money. Some of it goes to the intended project.

Status
Not open for further replies.