OUCH.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same with me on the legs, I find standing up on the pegs, (when it is safe to do so), even just for a few seconds really helps me get a few more miles before I stop.

My new to me 2013 has a nice leather Laam on it. I know it was built for someone else and maybe more break-in time with me on it will change my opinion but I find that the RDL was more comfortable.

I think the RDL moved me back a bit too, the Laam doesn't feel as roomy.

I have also needed to stand up a minute after being on the Laam for a while, I never needed to do that with the RDL. Also, it's been hot and I'm sure that contributes. I going to use a sheepskin tomorrow and if it does the same wonders it does for my Corbin on the K75 that will be my fix for now.

I've also noticed taking the seat off that the Laam is a tight fit trying to put it back on, almost difficult.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm 6'4" and about 270#. I did OK on the stock seat with a sheepskin, but never great. I did feel the stock seat was one of the better stock seats I have sat on. Longest ride was from Minnesota to North Carolina and back but really, comfort varied on temperature, tiredness and other factors more than just miles. 100 miles on the slab was always worse than 100 miles on rolling hills and curves.

Last year I finally got the Russell after nearly getting one every year I've owned my 2006 FJR. The short answer is, get one. Don't wait. Life is short and you should enjoy the ride. I went 9 years on the stock seat and should have done it sooner. Because of the Russell design, my weight is spread out a bit and not concentrated on the tips of my butt bones. This makes a night and day difference on comfort. I do have the heavy suspension in my seat. If you are going to have passengers, get the passenger seat too. It is money well spent.

I also had the endless debate of vinyl vs leather. When talking to Russell, I decided to go with the then "new" choice of Sunbrella synthetic canvas. I am very happy with the choice so far. Rides a little cooler and it has just a smidge of traction to it that keeps my butt from slipping around needlessly. I like it! I got a dark gray color that looks great and slightly unique on my blue feej.

I had also previously added peg lowers. These helped the knees but did change shifter and brake position a bit, and I have to remember to lift my toes when I go deep in a corner or my boots drag. I also have a bar riser (another must). The hiway pegs are also great because every once in a while I just need to move my legs, even for a minute. The pegs aren't comfortable enough to spend a long time on though, as you find you are straddling the fairing like you are riding a horse. I also have a taller windshield and I believe that makes another big difference. Being able to vary the amount of pressure on your body from the wind, changes how tired you feel at the end of the day. I have the stock Yamaha touring (taller and wider) shield, but I know there are even better ones out there. Mine works for me.

The thing I find is, that all of these mods also change how your butt feels. Everybody's body is unique to them however. I do solidly feel that I waited too long to get the seat. I will never get that time or those miles back. None were a waste, but I could have had even more enjoyment from them had I only done it sooner.

I have a friend built like you, only bike he found to fit was the BIG triump inline triple.
I used to weigh more than 300 pounds. I lost over 100 of them a few years back, and it changed my motorcycle life.

But ... regarding the 300 pound figure. When I weighed over 300 pounds, I found that I had to have a Russell seat no matter what brand of bike I hoped to ride for long distances.

I've had Russell custom built seats for bikes from Yamaha to Triumph to BMW, and others. The only Russell that I ever had custom built that just never did give me comfort when I weighed over 300 pounds was the ride in Russell that I had built for my K1600. I was never able to sort that bike out at that weight.

At over 300 pounds, the best bike for tailbone stock comfort was the Triumph Rocket III Touring. Even on the R3T, the Russell was a necessary for true day long comfort. Regarding the price of the Russell, it can range widely, depending on whether you need the extra heavy duty suspension (which you do), and whether you use leather (I always do), and whether you have the pillion seat done too, whether you add heat, etc. You can easily drop more than a thousand bucks, but if you get exactly what you need, it is money well spent.

I would not buy a used Russell seat that was built for another rider, unless you know that your own stature is similar to that rider's.

At this point, considerably lighter, I find that I am not that sensitive to seats as I once was. I still find the R3T the best choice for leg room, riding posture, and seat comfort on extended 80 mph trips. And although I switched back to the stock seat for a while, I put the Russell back on at the start of this past riding season because it really gives me that extra edge of comfort for truly long hauls.

At 6'5" AND 300 pounds, you really ought to give the R3T a test ride. And don't discount the value of a custom built Russell seat. If it turns your $17,000 bike from a pain to a joy, it's well worth its cost.

If you guys are saying Corbins are bricks (compared to the RDLs), then I must really missing out on something here. I had no problems pulling a 750+ mile day on my leather clad bri....errr, Corbin back in '08. Of course, prior to setting out on the 5.5k mile trip, I got myself into shape by running 350 miles a day every weekend, making sure I was plenty hydrated, and I ate well.

There's so much more to long distance riding besides the seat. That shoulder cramp that nags you for 50-60 miles turns into a cramp in your back, because you're trying to find the right position on the seat to rest your arm... That turns into a (literal) pain in the ass because now you're sitting funny, then your legs hurt because you haven't stood up in so long and you've been fidgeting on the pegs to try to get your butt to stop hurting. IMO, physical conditioning has more to do with it than the seat.

Quit trying to set mileage records, and just enjoy the friggin' ride. If your arm gets sore, take a break. If your ass gets sore, stop for lunch. If you get tired, get a room for the night. Rinse, repeat...often. It won't be long before you're pulling long days of nearly 1000 miles, regardless of what seat you have, and you'll have a smile on your face every time.

I've got a Sargent seat for my '13, which is better than my stocker, but the real upgrade was the risers for MCL, because my biggest discomfort was soreness/pain in-between my shoulder blades. MY butt is still sore after a long day but a nights rest takes care of that. For my Tenere I'm gonna give Laam a spin and see how that works out.

<snip> For my Tenere I'm gonna give Laam a spin and see how that works out.
I have rider and passenger LAAM seats on my Tenere. Seth has done many, many Tenere seats and has them figured out, so you're in good hands. Before I had the seats made, I trimmed the rear bumpers to minimize the forward slide...helped with the stock seat. Do make sure Seth is aware of this if you've done it. He'll make the adjustment when he builds the new seat.

Good luck!

--G

<snip> For my Tenere I'm gonna give Laam a spin and see how that works out.
I have rider and passenger LAAM seats on my Tenere. Seth has done many, many Tenere seats and has them figured out, so you're in good hands. Before I had the seats made, I trimmed the rear bumpers to minimize the forward slide...helped with the stock seat. Do make sure Seth is aware of this if you've done it. He'll make the adjustment when he builds the new seat.

Good luck!

--G
That was my main gripe with the seat (and I said so on their order app), the firmness was actually pretty well-done for stocker. I tried by putting the Shadow (or whatever) replacement short bumpers in the back but still slid forward so I'm gonna return them to the original bumpers. I know Seth has mixed reviews on here, but I'm in no rush. For the FJR it's gonna be Russel all the way, im in too deep with farkels to care anymore :)