Overloaded

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radman,

That's what I was experiencing on the trip to CFO last month. Damn, but it's areal bottoming out when a bump is encountered. :dribble:

dobias

I looked at the FJR load capacity of 445 lbs. and wondered how much I'm loading it when we travel.
[snip]

I guess I should have bought a Goldwing or plan on replacing the bags with a trailer. <_<

dobias
The GL1800 owner's manual says max load on a LeadThing is LESS than an FJR- something like ~420 pounds...

howardrg,

Re: saddlebags

I stand corrected. Thanks for straightening me out that bags are supplied worldwide. I had seen so many requests for used saddlebags from europeans that I ASSumed wrong. :(

dobias

Just curious, if you only leave a 10 percent load safety margin based on total tire load rating...... then what happens if you should hit a hard bump, i.e. curb, pothole, railroad rail, etc. at speed? Wouldn't that have the same effect of instantly overloading the tire/wheel rim and suspension, creating a potentially dangerous situation?

We don't all ride billiard table- smooth roads, do we? :unsure:

I'd assume such road disturbances would be part of the factor of safety that is included in the spec of the tire. IOW, the weight and speed ratings of the tires do not assume billiard table smooth roads - they include reasonable dynamic loads that could be expected in normal use.

But like all factors of safety, there are limits, and if you have the tire loaded to the max, temps at max, speeds at max, etc., eventually you're going to run out of margin. So if you're pushing in one aspect (e.g., weight), you probably want to avoid pushing on another. If I had a rear FJR tire loaded to the max weight on the sidewall, I certainly wouldn't be pushing hard on a bumpy road.

- Mark

Klaus has just sent me a 140 Kg spring. It's even heavier than I expected for my operating weight.

Now all I have to do is take everything apart again, get the spring replaced and reinstall it.

Damn! I'll have the routine down pat, at this rate.

dobias :lol: