Painting the damage...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
So, I'm repairing a little damage to the scooter. Ask her what happened, any way, the lower half of my right side bag has been repaired, spot puttied, sanded, primed, re-sanded. ready for paint. I've kept the top half covered during this and it's in pretty good shape. Do I just paint and clear coat the lower half, or paint the lower, sand the whole thing and clear coat it all?

So, I'm repairing a little damage to the scooter. Ask her what happened, any way, the lower half of my right side bag has been repaired, spot puttied, sanded, primed, re-sanded. ready for paint. I've kept the top half covered during this and it's in pretty good shape. Do I just paint and clear coat the lower half, or paint the lower, sand the whole thing and clear coat it all?
personally, I'd paint and clear coat it all

Yep-paint the whole bag..You will prolly see a line under the clear where the new color overlaps the old.

Rhinoliner
https://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/13/northeast-snowstorm/ So Fred W, Are you just a little cranky, bitter, PMS'd and bent out of shape over the New England snowstorm, eh der! jes' sayin'

2000-01-01001006.jpg

Come On Freddie Baby, let's see a nice picture of you out shoveling your driveway: If Bustanut joker can do it topless, we want to see you do a snow angel on your lawn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah your right. I knew the answer. It just means more work and more surface exposure for shit to go wrong. Dust, bugs, crap like that. Paint the whole bag it is. :yahoo: There was really alot less damage to the bike then I first thought, she's a pretty tough old girl. :)

Rhinoliner
https://www.aolnews.c...east-snowstorm/ So Fred W, Are you just a little cranky, bitter, PMS'd and bent out of shape over the New England snowstorm, eh der! jes' sayin'
Cranky? Hell no. Those city slickers down in Boston and points south get all worked up over a little snow. Up here we just deal with it. Hell, I only had to clear the driveway twice yesterday. Total snowfall was ~16".

Today it is a gloriously sparkling sunny day. Think I'll go ski around the local apple orchards this afternoon. ;)

Oh, the Rhinoliner was a serious suggestion. It's not for everyone, but it stops all the fretting over scratching your bags.

PS - I've got a snowblower. And I wear a jacket.

After you've make the repairs scuff the entire surface with 600-800 grit then base coat, clear coat the entire bag. For such a small job it will be much easier to paint all of it than to just do half then have to compound the overlap and hope the areas blend.

Oh, the Rhinoliner was a serious suggestion. It's not for everyone, but it stops all the fretting over scratching your bags.
I've been considering the rattlecan spray-on bed liner for two areas. The bottom 3rd (or so) of the saddlebags lids and the small piece of triangled plastic behind the front wheel, under the radiator. Mine looks like it's been sandblasted right up the middle of it about 3" wide.

... the small piece of triangled plastic behind the front wheel, under the radiator. Mine looks like it's been sandblasted right up the middle of it about 3" wide.
Suggest a fenda extenda.

(Click on image for larger view)

This is after some dirty wet roads; note the clearer line up the middle.

It also helps keep some of the mud off the radiator.

Rhinoliner
https://www.aolnews.c...east-snowstorm/ So Fred W, Are you just a little cranky, bitter, PMS'd and bent out of shape over the New England snowstorm, eh der! jes' sayin'
Cranky? Hell no. Those city slickers down in Boston and points south get all worked up over a little snow. Up here we just deal with it. Hell, I only had to clear the driveway twice yesterday. Total snowfall was ~16".

Today it is a gloriously sparkling sunny day. Think I'll go ski around the local apple orchards this afternoon. ;)

PS - I've got a snowblower. And I wear a jacket.
thats funny you say that years ago when i was at my brothers in hollis nh thats where we did our x-c skiing around an apple orchard